V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Street Magic LED smoked taillight on my Road Glide. Last week I took it off and for some reason the lens separated from the housing. Called Custom Dynamics and even though it has been over the year warranty they said send it back. No guarantees though. I figured I would just silicone it back together myself insted of chancing the wasted money on return shipping.. But I decided to mod it a little before I did. I painted the inside of the housing flat black. Left the areas around the LED bulb and plate light chrome. Whatcha think????

This is the housing after being painted

Installed

No affect to the light output

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Looks like it belongs on that bike. And as long as it doesn't effect the lighting I like it a lot. I bet in person it really has 3D effect. Good job!

You should take a picture in the sun and post it!

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
What's with the license plate? Looks HUGE!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hdmarsh77 said:
What's with the license plate? Looks HUGE!

LOL. It is a replica of porcelain plates issued in Delaware in 1942. They are a little big, but they are unique. You can only get them with lower digit plates. And besides I hate the DE license plate colors.

Here is a little info if you are interested. Delaware Historic Plates

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Very nice!

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Monstermile said:
LOL. It is a replica of porcelain plates issued in Delaware in 1942. They are a little big, but they are unique. You can only get them with lower digit plates. And besides I hate the DE license plate colors.

Here is a little info if you are interested. Delaware Historic Plates

Is that your official plate for legal registration? That's pretty cool! Reminds me of British plates.

Interesting site btw.

I'm pretty lucky with WI motorcycle plate. They are white with black lettering.

If I had a 1945 or earlier bike I could get ''antique'' plates.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hdmarsh77 said:
Is that your official plate for legal registration? That's pretty cool! Reminds me of British plates.

Interesting site btw.

I'm pretty lucky with WI motorcycle plate. They are white with black lettering.

If I had a 1945 or earlier bike I could get ''antique'' plates.

Yes it is my official plate and that is my actual tag number. You can legally use one of these plates if:

Passenger License Plates Do Not Exceed 86999.
Commercial License Plates Do Not Exceed C9999.
Dealer License Plates Do Not Exceed D9999.
Motorcycle License Plates Do Not Exceed M/C9999

Delaware is one of the few states that use numeric only plates. And plates are issued to vehicles not people. But you can retain a plate when you trade or sell. Lower digit plates are a hot commodity and can get a pretty penny. As you can see here. I currently have the 4 digit plate on my bike and 5 digit plates with the black porcelain plates on both of our vehicles. Didn't pay a penny for any of them. It helps to know someone at DMV. But if I wanted to sell them I could make a few grand off of each easy.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
$80,000 for this plate! WOW! It's interesting how different states do their registration.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hdmarsh77 said:
$80,000 for this plate! WOW! It's interesting how different states do their registration.

Yes it is. To put it into perspective. DuPont, the sponsor of #24 Jeff Gordon has been trying to get ownership of plate number 24 for a while. They have offered the owner $250K, but they still won't sell.

·
Winter SUCKS
1,353 Posts
LE PEW said:
It's the little touches and details that make it your own.

@gree: REALLY nice work Monstermile! Looks AWESOME!

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Nice job, don't ya love when simple mods turn out so well!:woohoo: :cool:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Simple, unexpected mods at that. And cheap. a $1 can of paint and a little of my time. Would have never thought of cracking open a $150 taillight on my own. But since it happend naturally so be it.

Thanks for all the compliments.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Looks fantastic in the sun! Good job.

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
but now........

ya gotta get rid of the plastic plate reflector/bolts and get the glass ones-much nicer and a cheap mod.

·
Registered
120 Posts
nice........................

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
The more I look at it the more I like it. The best part about it is that it was an accidental "blessing" of sorts. I've had that happen a lot just by screwing around with stuff.

I agree about the plate reflectors. I think they're called ''auto-gems". They're domed and made of glass. Not much different than what you have but you've done gone and made the rear-end look so good you might as well finish it off! You can even got them with lights in them.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Delaware B/W plates

Here's my Delaware 4-digit b/w plate. It's not the authentic shape, but I like this aspect ratio with the lay-down holder. I got this number by pure luck, I didn't pay for it. A friend of mine recently paid $10k for a two digit m/c tag (his birth year).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts