V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading the latest edtion of the Enthusiast and their article on the HD navigation system. From what I see it looks pretty nice. It works in conjunction with the Harman Kardon sound system and recharges the batteries through the motorcycle.You can throw your bulky maps away and navigate the next turn while still motoring down the highway. My only hang up with their system is the price tag. They show part number 76471-06 at $1099.95 (Gag!!!) Is there any other system out there that is comparable? I've got an 06 EG Classic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
DOOS said:
I was just reading the latest edtion of the Enthusiast and their article on the HD navigation system. From what I see it looks pretty nice. It works in conjunction with the Harman Kardon sound system and recharges the batteries through the motorcycle.You can throw your bulky maps away and navigate the next turn while still motoring down the highway. My only hang up with their system is the price tag. They show part number 76471-06 at $1099.95 (Gag!!!) Is there any other system out there that is comparable? I've got an 06 EG Classic.
See my write up here. The H-D unit is way overpriced. Even if you want the Quest, you can do better on price. I'd get the 2610 because its bigger.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72381
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,181 Posts
The Garmin 2610 is definitely the way to go, both HD units are WAY overpriced(big surprise there).

I have had a GPS for years now(I am on my 5th unit), but my 2610 is a keeper -the 2610 is just about the perfect MC unit.

~John
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
249 Posts
jmorton10 said:
The Garmin 2610 is definitely the way to go, both HD units are WAY overpriced(big surprise there).

I have had a GPS for years now(I am on my 5th unit), but my 2610 is a keeper -the 2610 is just about the perfect MC unit.

~John
not only that...they only show directions to harley shops and factory tours
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
Also, I understand there is no map with the Harmon Kardon system. Just arrows and instuctions when to turn.

I have been looking at the Quest version of HD Road Tech GPS. Yes it sits on mount on fairing. But it has a map to look at (stopped please) and you can take it off bike when you want. Use it hand held up to 20 hours use time. Like for walking or camping, or hook it up in the car also.

Road Tech is Garmin Quest (original) and sells for 599.00 (half of Harman version). But you can buy a Quest 2 (read better) on the web for 559.00. Fits same HD mount which you have to buy seperate anyway. I would buy the HD mount just because its made for it, and works better than Garmin handlebar mount. Map can be zomed and waypoints (places fixed) when you push the button. Great when you want to fix your camping place for finding later. Or mark a great fishing spot when hand held in boat. Even mark daytona good bars for finding next year.

Just my suggestion and what I am looking at. Hope that is some help.

skip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
Camera108 said:
Also, I understand there is no map with the Harmon Kardon system. Just arrows and instuctions when to turn.

I have been looking at the Quest version of HD Road Tech GPS. Yes it sits on mount on fairing. But it has a map to look at (stopped please) and you can take it off bike when you want. Use it hand held up to 20 hours use time. Like for walking or camping, or hook it up in the car also.

Road Tech is Garmin Quest (original) and sells for 599.00 (half of Harman version). But you can buy a Quest 2 (read better) on the web for 559.00. Fits same HD mount which you have to buy seperate anyway. I would buy the HD mount just because its made for it, and works better than Garmin handlebar mount. Map can be zomed and waypoints (places fixed) when you push the button. Great when you want to fix your camping place for finding later. Or mark a great fishing spot when hand held in boat. Even mark daytona good bars for finding next year.

Just my suggestion and what I am looking at. Hope that is some help.

skip
The Quest is a good unit but, you should really think about how small that screen is. When you're riding, you'll want the display as large as possible. Also, if you don't use windshield bags on the Glide, you can mount a 2610 unit up there and make it look every bit as good as a factory mount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
762 Posts
As someone suggested above, don't buy the HD GPS. It overpriced. The Garmin 2610 is a better buy. Plus, you can move it from your bike to a car or truck.

Another option is the new The Tom Tom Rider Motorcycle GPS; http://etailelectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=04157

The Harley GPS used in conjunction with the Harman Kardon sound system is unusual. A system CD must be inserted in the drive to use the GPS. This means you can't operate the CD player and GPS at the same time. Another problem is the Harman Kardon's LCD screen. It's rather small for a GPS display. You could compromise your safety attempting the study the screen while operating a bike.
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,649 Posts
There is another thread on here talking about the TomTom Rider for $749 plus shipping. I also saw the TomTom Rider on the web for $719 plus shipping but can't remember the name of the place.
 

·
Just Do It!
Joined
·
122 Posts
I have a Garmin 60CS with chrome ball mount on the bars. Easy on and off, weather proof fits in your pocket and can be used on foot. This is a great piece that works great at a $350 bargain. Have used across the nation, much better than a paper map.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,181 Posts
>>Another problem is the Harman Kardon's LCD screen. It's rather small for a GPS display.

What display?? There is nothing to look at in the POS HK GPS, it doesn't even HAVE a map display so there's really nothing to look at anyway...........

~John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
102 Posts
I put on the HD Quest mount.
Would I do it again??
NO WAY... too much vibration and way over priced!!
I like the Quest but I would go to a Ram or something simlilar to mount it.

MHO....


Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
Geoff said:
As someone suggested above, don't buy the HD GPS. It overpriced. The Garmin 2610 is a better buy. Plus, you can move it from your bike to a car or truck.

Another option is the new The Tom Tom Rider Motorcycle GPS; http://etailelectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=04157

The Harley GPS used in conjunction with the Harman Kardon sound system is unusual. A system CD must be inserted in the drive to use the GPS. This means you can't operate the CD player and GPS at the same time. Another problem is the Harman Kardon's LCD screen. It's rather small for a GPS display. You could compromise your safety attempting the study the screen while operating a bike.
I couldn't agree with you more that the HD unit is totally overpriced. The only advantage I can see that it has over the other units is it has voice commands that come over your speakers or head set if you have communications on your bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
rentalman said:
I put on the HD Quest mount.
Would I do it again??
NO WAY... too much vibration and way over priced!!
I like the Quest but I would go to a Ram or something simlilar to mount it.

MHO....


Brad

Brad, are you talking about the Harley designed mount that fits up on the fairing/windshield area? I am currently running a Quest on my softail with a RAM arm and Touratech anti-vibration mount and it seems to work pretty well. I am looking to buy an Ultra this summer and was planning on buying the HD mount to put it in but might have second thoughts if that is the mount you are using and are having trouble with. The RAM setup is kind of bulky but works well, but I like the integrated look of the HD setup...

I don't have a problem with the screen being a bit on the small side, I have used the Quest for over a year on my bike and in my car and it works GREAT!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Quest 2

I just added the Quest 2 to my E-Glide this weekend and couldn't be happier, I looked at the bigger units & found them too bulky for my likes. I previously had a Garmin 12Map mounted but it's no longer supported.
As for the small screen, It's bright with full color & easily readable at a glance. The only drawback I can see are the small buttons may be a problem with heavy gloves. but it's amazing the detail in the memory.
Mounted using the Garmin accessory m/c mount along with a Ram handlebar mount. Found on internet for $560 w/free shipping.
My $.02.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
102 Posts
Retrax said:
Brad, are you talking about the Harley designed mount that fits up on the fairing/windshield area? I am currently running a Quest on my softail with a RAM arm and Touratech anti-vibration mount and it seems to work pretty well. I am looking to buy an Ultra this summer and was planning on buying the HD mount to put it in but might have second thoughts if that is the mount you are using and are having trouble with. The RAM setup is kind of bulky but works well, but I like the integrated look of the HD setup...

I don't have a problem with the screen being a bit on the small side, I have used the Quest for over a year on my bike and in my car and it works GREAT!
Retrax...
Yes the HD mount is what I am talking about. It vibrates too much for me.
I love the Quest but I would not buy the HD mount again. A short Ram ball mount in the same location as the HD mount is what I am looking for. It would not be a big deal to hard wire the Quest using a Ram mount and it still could play over the Aux. input on the stereo.
You need 3 parts to make the HD mount work and I paid about $300 for them.
Wanna make a deal on my mount??:hmmm:

Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
Wow, sounds like I should just stick with what I've got when I switch over to a new bike. No complaints about the Quest gps, it is an excellent product. Thanks for the heads up about the mounting situation Brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
what about the garmin street pilot 3 with the ram mount ive used mine for years now. its big yea so i can see it easy, has color and can pick one up on e bay cheap ive had mine on e glide and now on my road king wouldnt leave home with out it
 

·
Wrench This
Joined
·
271 Posts
E Trex Legend

SPOJO said:
I have a Garmin 60CS with chrome ball mount on the bars. Easy on and off, weather proof fits in your pocket and can be used on foot. This is a great piece that works great at a $350 bargain. Have used across the nation, much better than a paper map.

Definitely to the way to go - I've been using the Garmin E Trex Legend for a couple of years with a RAM mount on the bars. Quick on, off, and you can use it for just about anything - case in point- I've loaded waypoints for airports all over the SE in it and use it when flying. It even has a CDI!!

And, it's about $250 or so @ Wally World, including some neat goodies.;)

Outstanding value for the money, and the little thing is tough as nails.

C.W.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
269 Posts
There are 2 mounts that Harley sells for it's version of the Quest and Quest 2. One is the fairing mount, for Eglides. The other mounts on the left hand control assembly and is meant for any Harley's without fairings (I think they call it a 'softail mount').

I talked to a couple of people on rides who had the fairing mount, and they all complained about the vibration. Vibration off the fairing is so bad that the unit is hard to read and has been damaged in some cases.

I went for the hand control 'softail' mount, even though I have an Ultra. It's perfect.. easy to see and vibration is not an issue. And I don't have to remove any of my fairing pouches. An added bonus is that I can take the mount off and switch it to another bike in minutes (2 screws)... which I've done when renting bikes on fly 'n ride trips.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Go ZUMO!

Zumo is a Garmin GPS designed for motorcycles by motorcyclists. It comes with bike mount, car mount and two power cords and lots of mounting hardware.

Weatherproof, designed to be operated with a gloved hand, highly visible in direct sunlight and solid... no hard drive to worry about vibrating.

See here:http://www.garmin.com/products/zumo/

It even will mate with your bluetooth phone, XM satt radio and store/play your MP3's

Go here to check in on the zumo forum, and see lots of installations on bike-including mine!
http://razorbiker.com/zumo/

There are two levels of zumo, the 550 is the full feature- the 450 is without the XM and bluetooth...Prices coming down since they are brand new.

I have no financial intrest- just love the zumo!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top