V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have a 2003 Fatboy and greased my steering bearings a couple weeks ago with Mobil 1 Synthetic Bearing Grease (I think that is what it was called). Anyway, I have been wiping it off the bottom of the neck ever since. Since it has been relatively cold here in Ohio... am I going to have problems when it gets hot outside? Will the grease continue to seep out at the bottom of the steering neck? Should I have used a different grease or am I fine with what I used?

Thanks,

03Fatty

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
03fatty said:
All,

I have a 2003 Fatboy and greased my steering bearings a couple weeks ago with Mobil 1 Synthetic Bearing Grease (I think that is what it was called). Anyway, I have been wiping it off the bottom of the neck ever since. Since it has been relatively cold here in Ohio... am I going to have problems when it gets hot outside? Will the grease continue to seep out at the bottom of the steering neck? Should I have used a different grease or am I fine with what I used?

Thanks,

03Fatty
What you have going on is a chemical reaction between the HD natural oil based grease and the Mobil 1 synthetic. There are two things you can do. Take it apart and clean it out and put in the Mobil 1 or some other synthetic grease. Or let it leak out and keep on adding every couple of day more grease until it stops dripping out. That is called purging.

I myself would purge the system and get the better grease in. It will be worth it in the long run. If you go to do the swing arm you are better off removing and cleaning it out. Then load it up with the good stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts