V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always used Mobil 1 in my Harleys. Not the Vtwin stuff ,just the off the shelf stuff. Never had an oil related problem. Change the motor oil at 4000 miles most of the time, but seems like a waste of good oil. Old oil always has new oil feel to it if you know what I mean.Unlike regular motor oil after 4000 or 5000 miles that looks and feels like it needs to be changed.

Check out this site, has some interesting stuff on Mobil 1: neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

I know...I Know it is not a Harley motor but makes you think you may be waisting some money on oil changes :dunno: Need to let these guys do some testing on Harley oils.:cheers:

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only use the Moble 1 in the motor side of my Ultra...still use HD primary and HD trans in those holes. Change Primary oil every 4k on mine...lots of wear going on in there with those clutch plates breaking down a little each time..that stuff looks pretty nasty after 4000 miles.:thumbsdn: Trans every 5K but think this could go a little longer as well..always looks the same coming out as going in. Very little heat or fuel degradation going on in the tranny:hmmm:

But at 21 bucks for 5 Qts of 15-50 at Wal Mart for the Mobil 1 or 12 bucks a Qt for the V-Twin stuff....I will stick with the regular Mobil 1:brows:

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The new Dynas have 6 speeds now right?...should be getting better than 35 MPG. Gunna have to keep that thing under 90 I guess :hystria: Just started using the SuperTech 75W 140 in my Ultra tranny about a 1000 miles ago...probably in my head, but seems to shift smoother.

My new plan on oil changes is for all 3 holes at the first of the season and not again till the end of the season...think I am wasting time and money with the 4k to 5k thing. Average 10k to 12k a year on the bike (most of it in the summer) with very little in town riding so just I just dont see a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.