V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
169 Posts
Plus, I think there's more moly in the car oil? I have very positive story about swapping Sport Trans fluid for Kal-Gard moly trans fluid I'll share at another time.

:cheers:

·
Banned
169 Posts
I always use a product with some moly (usually kal-Gard) for my clutch-chaincase and trans, ditto for Mobil-1 car oil in the motor. I started doing it years ago to keep Sportster trans parts from galling (swapping metal)

I just got back from a road trip with my 06 Street Bob that I changed all the fluids in at 275 miles, the last 75 of which were fast hwy miles. The Bob now has a little over 3000 miles on it and everything looks good. the Mobil-1 15/50 is a golden buttery color indicating well seated rings and correct fuel mixtures ( to the degree oil can indicate that )

The trans has the full amount of SuperTech Full Synthetic 75W-140 extreme pressure gear lubricant...

The chaincase has a mixture of the SuperTech 75W-140 (16 oz) and (12 oz) of Polaris Premium Gearcase Lubricant... Quote: 100% synthetic friction reducing extreme pressure film protection for severe operating temperatures. Minimizes chain and sprocket wear while preventing rust, oxidation and corrosion of internal chaincase and transmission components. :unQuote

This is a thin lubricant that I added more as a experiment to evaluate clutch release as anything else. I did know I would be riding in near freezing temps though and thinner wouldn't hurt. In fact I have run ATF in the past in the chaincase with good results and much better clutch release... On the way home I met some guys from Portland OR heading to the east coast the long way along the US- Mexico border... The big guy, a 7 ft clone of Mr Clean told me that's all he uses in his chaincase for as long as he can remember...he was riding a very clean FLH Shovel with 140,000 miles on it...who would be dumb enough to argue anyway. Not advocating one way or the other, just saying moly on the clutch plates is nothing to be afraid of and the motors and trans love it.

The SuperTech 75W-140 has a warning regarding clutches except for topping off, but like I said It doesn't mean jack to me and I use it in the rear end of my Chevy with Limited slip too with excellent results.

The main reason I chose the lubricants that I have is purely practical...I can get them at any Wal-Mart anywhere and they are superior to what the Bob was shipped with.

Now if I could just do something about that 35 miles to the gallon hwy...taller gearing for sure is in the future...

·
Banned
169 Posts
lasher55 said:
The new Dynas have 6 speeds now right?...should be getting better than 35 MPG. Gunna have to keep that thing under 90 I guess :hystria: Just started using the SuperTech 75W 140 in my Ultra tranny about a 1000 miles ago...probably in my head, but seems to shift smoother.

My new plan on oil changes is for all 3 holes at the first of the season and not again till the end of the season...think I am wasting time and money with the 4k to 5k thing. Average 10k to 12k a year on the bike (most of it in the summer) with very little in town riding so just I just dont see a problem.
I called everybody in the world looking for a trans pulley with two more teeth, no luck! If one doesn't happen soon I'll have to make one to go with the rear international pulley that has two less teeth. That way I can use the stock length belt too. The motor can easily pull that gearing and once I have that, the 2-1, ECM and intake taken care of it should be a whole lot better. About the only time I can stand to keep it under 85 is when the winds pick way up, :cheers:

·
Banned
169 Posts
davemhughes said:
Why not just pull the 32 T front pulley off and put a 34 T front pulley on. On my Fatboy I pulled the 32T off and went the other way and put a 30T on.
It's all different on the dyna 6 spd, different splines, larger o.d., etc. No one has tooled up yet :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.