V-Twin Forum banner

Would you be interested in Mobil 1 V-Twin synthetic 20W-50 motorcycle oil?

• Yes I would be very interested

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Somewhat interested

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Sorry to expensive for my blood

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • No I only use H-D 360 oil, or an other brand

Votes: 2 5.1%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I changed over to Mobil 1 and I have always thought highly of Mobil 1 products.

I was wondering, how many of you would be interested in Mobil 1's new V-Twin 20W-50 motorcycle oil? And if you have found it has it been expensive? I know the last time I found it, I purchased all they had (5 quarts) and paid near $9 per quart at AutoZone.

Would anyone be interested in picking up Mobil 1 V-Twin Motorcycle oil at, say $7.50 per quart or a little less? It could be shipped any where in the US, shipping would be extra and price would depend on where you live.

I am just wondering what the demand would be, price maybe able to be dropped by .25 cents a quart, but I am still checking into price, it at this time. I am just trying to judge what the demand might be for this product, if it were made available.

Thanks for your input,

Dave

·
Banned
490 Posts
Oil Economics

There really are two problems with the Mobil 1 for V-Twins.

1) It is extremely hard to find in retail autoparts stores in some locations.

2) At $9 per quart it is just too damned expensive.

I can justify using Mobil 1 in a car engine because of its superior cold weather protection, and the fact that I feel comfortable going 5,000 miles between changes with it (vs. 2500 with regular oil).

I can't justify using Mobil 1 V-Twin in motorcycles because it only allows me to go 2000 miles between changes, versus 1000 with organic oil. At $9 per quart it is three times the price of H-D 360. No matter what they do to the formula, I'm just not comfortable leaving motoroil in a bike engine for much more than 2000 miles. Likewise, I don't really care about cold-weather performance because I'm not planning on riding my V-Rod when its 20 degrees below zero.

If they sold it for $4-5 per quart maybe I'd be more interested.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
1. I do think the Synthetic is strictly speaking " always a good idea."

2. With several autozones around here I don't expect availability to be an issue.

3. The HD 20-50 is only advertised as "excellent" for temps to 40F which although cold, is hardly unlikely in this climate at night even in the summer. In particular look at your owners manual regarding winterizing your bike. I think that says it all about the HD oil.

4. Lets assume you do go for the 2000 mi. between changes, you can expect to pay about 45 (at 9 bucks per qt.) bucks for the Synthetic. For the HD 20-50 HD lists the MSRP as being 3.25 per qt. so assume you change it every 1000 mi. that's 30 bucks every 2000 mi. The difference in cost is 40%, which is considerable, however it's still only 10 bucks and you do the work half as often, so you have to throw some labor in there.

5. But here's the rub, can HD come back to you and blame you for motor problems if you don't use their oil? And what if you have a warranty, will they honor it? For the time being I'm not willing to test the theory.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My opinion, your are paying for the print on the label. Mobil 1 put that on the market for the HD people to fall for.

Mobil 1 has 15w-50 on the market. It is nearly the same oil. Because HD recommends a 20w-50, they thickened the cold weight a little to match.

Of course, the 15w-50 is only about $5 a quart instead, it isn't marketed to the HD people. That is what I run. My change interval is 5000 miles.

Not trying to be offense, just giving options.

·
Registered
206 Posts
More Info On Synthetics...

...If you want more info on synthetics, punch in synthetic in the search for these Forums, or click here...

http://harleydavidsonforum.com/foru...id=16397&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Don't stop here at this thread...

I personally like the thread started 8-22 by VA V-ROD, FWIW.

There's also a very important posting about the DANGERS of synthetic oil, HIPPO recently -- it's a must read...

Mitch

·
Registered
206 Posts
VA V-Rod...You'll Keep us informed?

I am going to make the switch also, to syns. Would ike to buy in quainty, by mail.

You'll let us know what you find?

Thanks,
Mitch

·
Registered
110 Posts
mobil 1

I have heard that harleys leak more oil because of mobil1. Anyone have any problems? Not looking to change oil less often, just looking for better protection. I have 8500 miles on my v-rod and have changed the oil every 1500 miles starting at 500 miles. Seems to be ok. Just starting to have a problem with my fuel gauge. Guess its the sending unit.

ride safe
vrodtom

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Mobil synthetic

I couldn't find Mobil 1 for cars or V twins in any of the auto parts stores in my area. I called the oil distributors listed in the yellow pages and found one close by who was happy to sell it to me by the case (Mobil's case only contains six bottles).

I am running the car 15w-50 in both my bikes.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Sidewalk said:
My opinion, your are paying for the print on the label. Mobil 1 put that on the market for the HD people to fall for.

Mobil 1 has 15w-50 on the market. It is nearly the same oil. Because HD recommends a 20w-50, they thickened the cold weight a little to match.

Of course, the 15w-50 is only about $5 a quart instead, it isn't marketed to the HD people. That is what I run. My change interval is 5000 miles.

Not trying to be offense, just giving options.
I agree. I looked at a comparison somewhere and the blend on the V-twin oil was nearly the same as the regular 15w-50 Mobil 1. At a certain point oil is oil and $3-4 more a quart is too much for the magical HD formula.

I buy the 15w-50 at K-mart for $4 a quart.

I have only put 1000 miles on since my first change but so far it's holding up better than whatever the dealer used when I bought the bike (probably the HD 20w-50).

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are correct you can contact you locate distributor directly and purchase it, but I was thinking about buying in bulk and then reselling in smaller quantities. But apparently even the price I might be able to get it at is less then what some of you can get it for thought your local guys, so I am just going to buy 3 or four cases for myself and not go with a real large quantity.

But I just thought I'd check with you all first and if there was enough interest to see if it would be worth the investment or if I'd be stuck with massive number of cases of oil to last my like time and my kids life time. I just can't see spend the big buck AutoZone wanted for a quart.

Thanks everyone for you input, on my little market survey.

Dave

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
I use Mobil V Twin and have from 2k. I watched the odo turn 10k today. I change every 2500 and am very pleased with this oil. I have no leaks and not a bit wet at an of the seams. I payed about $6 or 7 a qt. from an online distribritor. As much as the bike cost I'm not bothered by an extra few bucks. It's your bike but remember oil is the life blood of the engine.

My $0.02 worth.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I did use Mobil 1 15W50 and then switched to Amsoil 20W50. I became an Amsoil Preferred Customer for only $25 a year and I (and my friends) now can purchase all Amsoil products at wholesale prices.
Brian

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mobil 1 Car Oil In Your Bike?

I have been researching oils, as I am making the switch to Mobil 1 V-Twin oil (from th H-D 360).

I would recommend anyone using the Mobil 1, 15-50 wt. AUTOMTIVE oil in their bike do a little research, and understand the differences. Many in the know, are not using the Mobil 1 15-50 in their bikes now, after the reformulation. There is a substantial difference between those two Mobil oils.

I can purchase the Mobil V-Twin for $6 and change from a distributor close to my home. I am planning to changing all the fluids every 5K miles, so that equates to the same amount of $$$, for better protection and less labor.

It has been heavily rumored that the Mobil V-Twin 20-50 was developed by Harley with Mobil, but it never became a "Harley" product due to corporate ego's clashing (do a forum search of "synthetic").

I think the Red Line 20-50 and the Mobil V-Twin are very good oils, and the Red line may even be better, due to the Polyester base...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.