V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm switching my bike from syn3 to Mobil 1 but the only gear oil I can find locally is the Mobil 1 75w 140 LS. it's my understanding not to use anything with friction modifiers or am I wrong here? I tried a search but I suck at the interweb

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I'm switching my bike from syn3 to Mobil 1 but the only gear oil I can find locally is the Mobil 1 75w 140 LS. it's my understanding not to use anything with friction modifiers or am I wrong here? I tried a search but I suck at the interweb
Welcome from central NY.

We really do not need another oil thread here, but it looks like you have decided on Mobil 1 sooooo, which I am also a fan of btw. The M1 V-Twin 20/50 is a popular oil. I put M1 20/50 in all three holes during the fall oil/fluid change. I put the M1 20/50 in the transmission primarily for cold weather riding. When warmer weather finally arrives I will prolly drain the trans and plan to put Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90, as I think the 75-140 is a little on the heavy/thick side.

That said I'm no oil expert and I believe other opinions will show up here.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
20/50 in the engine

20/50 in the primary

75/90 in the transmission

Good to go

FWIW... I've been running 75/140 in my tranny for years. All year-round. Works real good. Winter riding down to @ 35*. Any good gear oil in your tranny will do.

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
I'm sorry I meant 20/50 in gear box and engine and 75/90 in trans
I don't think you have worded your question correctly yet. Trans. and gear box are the same thing. If you meant to say primary case instead of gear box, then yes the 20/50 Mobil 1 is fine in engine and primary case. Put the 75/90 or 75/140 gear lube in your gear box(trans).
Typing the same time as dirtybrain.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
20/50 in the engine

20/50 in the primary

75/90 in the transmission

Good to go

FWIW... I've been running 75/140 in my tranny for years. All year-round. Works real good. Winter riding down to @ 35*. Any good gear oil in your tranny will do.
This right here answers your questions, to a T

·
Registered
5,744 Posts
Mobil 1 is good stuff gear oil and the 20-50

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
It's not confusing at all...
Just make sure you use Mobil 1 gear oil for your tranny but don't put Mobil 1 engine oil in your gearbox

%[email protected]

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
One of my bikes has a energy one extra plate clutch kit with a Barnett 25% stronger spring and lock up.
The clutch was having problems not fully releasing(dragging) when disengaged.
Some ppls in my area were switching to a fluid called trick shift trans oil in there primary. Come to find out it was the same as type "F" trans fluid.
So I switched to type F in my primary a few months ago and the dragging stopped. My clutch started grabbing better too. No more chirping when I let the clutch out to fast.
I'm a happy person now ...Anyway just thought I would through that out there.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
One of my bikes has a energy one extra plate clutch kit with a Barnett 25% stronger spring and lock up.
The clutch was having problems not fully releasing(dragging) when disengaged.
Some ppls in my area were switching to a fluid called trick shift trans oil in there primary. Come to find out it was the same as type "F" trans fluid.
So I switched to type F in my primary a few months ago and the dragging stopped. My clutch started grabbing better too. No more chirping when I let the clutch out to fast.
I'm a happy person now ...Anyway just thought I would through that out there.
I have several bikers from this forum using the Amsoil Super Shift fluid that is a type F ATF in their primary's for several years now. The only complaint I received was the clutch hooked up to hard and some went back to the 20w 50.
george

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but it's still out here so thought additional info might be helpful because people still read this:

Even though it it gear oil and it can be used, the 75W-90 (and yes, someone already pointed out they use different scales for gear vs engine oils) actually has a lower viscosity than 20w-50, so probably not as good as using synthetic 20w-50.
The 75w-140 is thicker (almost 50%), and may make things a little quieter, but with the downside that it actually retains heat a little more and will keep things slightly hotter, while not adding any additional wear protection due to similar moly and other additive levels, so there's your trade-off. Heat vs noise. I live in the southeastern US, and with the heat, I'm sticking with 20w-50 or SAE60 depending on season.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts