V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using this oil in TwinCam engine?
I cannot buy Mobil 1 V-Twin, just Mobil 1 Racing 4T 20W-50 here in Europe. Mobil info about this oil is: it is used in high performance motorcycles. I suspect they mean high rev engines especially metric motorcycles with common engine and transmission fill.
Both oils meet H-D API specification.
Do you agree that automotive 15W-50 is more suitable (separated engine and transmission fill) than Racing 4T?
Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
98 Posts
pecold said:
Anyone using this oil in TwinCam engine?
I cannot buy Mobil 1 V-Twin, just Mobil 1 Racing 4T 20W-50 here in Europe. Mobil info about this oil is: it is used in high performance motorcycles. I suspect they mean high rev engines especially metric motorcycles with common engine and transmission fill.
Both oils meet H-D API specification.
Do you agree that automotive 15W-50 is more suitable (separated engine and transmission fill) than Racing 4T?
Thank you for your suggestions.
mostly everyone i know uses 15/50 mobil...every oil test i read shows no difference between car oil and motorcycle oil...several friends have 100.000 miles on 113 ss motors with no problems..........

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
It's what I use...used to be the red cap. Now it comes in Gold cap. Here in Ohio it can be 50 degrees in July overnight. I think 15W-50 is better than the 20W-50 for me or anyone else in cooler climates.

It's still 50W.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would use a 20w50 oil for air cooled MC engines for the extra few $$. Better heat protection and additive packages. Mobil1Vtwin is a Group IV (PAO base stocks) as is Amsoil. SYn3 is a Group III but Amsoil or Syn3 if available would give you better protection in hot weather. I have run Syn3 in both my Harleys with fine results. I'm going to try Vtwin later this season just to see what it's like. But, I have heard that the additive package won't last as long with the 15w50 as the MC oils. Plus I believe it has moly in it which may effect your wet clutch application. IMO.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I was referring to engine oil only...not primary or tranny.

I'm not a scientist but I respectfully disagree with you. I think the Mobil1 15W-50 synthetic will perform as good or better than any synthetic oil.

-2$en#e-

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
The 15/50 is good stuff. Alot of people have been running it in Harleys for a long time including myself. No problems at all. I would say it's much better oil then Syn 3. Have not heard anything bad about it ever and it's been around a very long time. I have run Amsoil also and like it except for having to order it from a dealer.
BTW I ran Mobil 1 in a 57 Chevy p/u that I beat on everyday. Sold it with with 300,000+ miles on the 350 that was in it and she still ran great.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I use the mobil 1 15-50 gold cap in the motor and primary and mobil 1 75-90 synthetic gear oil in the tranny. These work for me but I don't think it really matters what you use as long as you change your fluids on a regular basis. I've never heard of anyones motor, tranny or primary having a problem directly attributable to using a certain type of oil.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
From all the tests I have read there are a few diferences between the 15w-50 and the 20w-50 MC Mobil 1
The viscosity modifiers are different, but that's a given since one is 15w-50 and the other is 20w-50
The 15w-50 does contain moly and the 20w-50 does not.
I beleve the 20w-50 has a sightly higher flash point, by about 25*, but both are around 400*
The additive package for antiwear and antiacid are almost identical. Not enough difference to matter during a standard oil change cycle.
I run the 15w-50 in my bikes because I can find it anywhere in the USA, and on road trips I like to change my own oil. I pull into a auto parts store, buy the oil, I carry a filter, buy a $2 drain pan and do it in their parking lot.
Put the used oil back in the bottles for them to recycle and throw the oil drain pan away. It cost me an extra $2 over the price of parts and is way cheaper than using some of the other synthetics.

·
Registered
792 Posts
LittleBear said:
...The 15w-50 does contain moly and the 20w-50 does not.
Have they re-formulated the VTwin since 2005? This VOA from bobistheoilguy shows 91, which is higher than the 15W-50 EP stuff at 79.

There are a bunch of VOAs on the BITOG Library, fwiw.

EDIT: btw, when you mention the M1 15W-50 "gold cap" that is the EP stuff, correct?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gdkenoyer:
thank you, this is very helpful. It is interesting to compare particle count. Especially 5 micro. I suppose that test conditions are the same. Probably the reason is different viscosity at the same temperature...?

But, I'm not sure if
Mobil 1 Extended Performace 15W-50 - available in the USA now is the same as Mobil 1 Motorsport Formula 15W-50 (gold cap, SuperSyn formula) available in EU as well as
Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 == Mobil 1 Racing 4T 20W-50

May be SuperSyn was improved to Extended Performance in 2005 as gdkenoyer quotes.

I know from Mobil that these EU oils are made in Belgium. May be it's only different market name and oils are made in accord very similar method.
Does anybody know elemental analysis of these EU oils?

Littlebear:
I'm not sure if flash point corresponds to oil break temperature.

I agree with the opinion that Syn3 is a compromise. It's made for engine, transmission (not talking about primary). But similar is Mobil 1 V-Twin. You can use it in both common and separate engine/transmission lubrication system. It's a compromise as well.

Separated system in motorcycle engines is quite rare now and the market is probably not large enough for oil companies. May be the improvement in oil capability was one of the reason which lead motorcycle manufacturers to make common system.

Separated system is closer to automobile system so wouldn't usage of adequate SAE automobile oil be better than motorcycle compromise? May be today's quality of synthetic oils erases the difference but old good system separates transmission particles from the engine ones. And air cooled Harley engine shouln't suffer like the consumer motorcycle engines we don't want to hear about.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
KBFXDLI said:
I would use a 20w50 oil for air cooled MC engines for the extra few $$. Better heat protection and additive packages. Mobil1Vtwin is a Group IV (PAO base stocks) as is Amsoil. SYn3 is a Group III but Amsoil or Syn3 if available would give you better protection in hot weather. I have run Syn3 in both my Harleys with fine results. I'm going to try Vtwin later this season just to see what it's like. But, I have heard that the additive package won't last as long with the 15w50 as the MC oils. Plus I believe it has moly in it which may effect your wet clutch application. IMO.
This should be interesting reading for you KB:

http://www.quickthrottlemag.com/article_syn.htm

Moly is very beneficial to wear reduction in a motor. The only reason to avoid it is if you have a common sump for tranny and crankcase; as it MAY make your clutch more prone to slippage (more likely if you have modified your motor for more hp/tq). Mobil 15W-50 is also a group IV full syn product...which IMO is makes it better than HD's Syn-3 for less money.

I've been using Mobil 1 15W-50 for the last three years very happily. I also live in a northern climate and will commute to work in the evenings when its around 50*. By the time I get off in the morning it can be 30*...but be back up to 75-80 by mid afternoon; so I prefer the slightly lighter weight. I had been a Amsoil user prior to that; but I like the convenience of finding my oil at any auto parts store. I don't use it in my primary or my tranny. I think it is a benefit of having a Harley that with seperate compartments, we have the ability to use the best possible specialized lubes for each application.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just picked up a 5 qt.. bottle of the Mobil 1 15-50 super syn. oil at Walmart. Cost me 23 bucks. Last oil change I used 20-50 Mobil 1 super syn. I think I bought the 4 bottles for like 24 bucks. This is pretty darn cheap and I have no complaints on the 20-50 over the HD super syn save for the money saved. keepem sharp

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
klondike said:
I just picked up a 5 gal. bottle of the Mobil 1 15-50 super syn. oil at Walmart. Cost me 23 bucks. Last oil change I used 20-50 Mobil 1 super syn. I think I bought the 4 bottles for like 24 bucks. This is pretty darn cheap and I have no complaints on the 20-50 over the HD super syn save for the money saved. keepem sharp

5 gallons for $23? You mind going back and buying me a couple of those? I'll pay shipping.
:whistle: :whistle:

I know it was a typo, but I couldn't resist.
Sorry.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Klondike, don't you mean a 5 quart container?

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
So I'm up for an oil change this weekend and I like the idea of finding oil on the road at most any gas stop if needed. I'm thinking Mobil 1. Here's the thing though. I've really never paid any attention to oil discussions so now when I did my research I'm seeing a lot of Mobile 1 extended service, red cap, gold cap, T-twin, MC, 20w-50, 15w-50 etc. It's got me confused as to which Mobile I should use and can get at gas stops and walmart. Is this the right stuff?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Been using the Mobil1 15-50 in all my bikes, cars, lawn mowers, for the past 18 years. No problems yet.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Been using the Mobil1 15-50 in all my bikes, cars and lawn mowers for the past 18 years. No problems yet.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
So I'm up for an oil change this weekend and I like the idea of finding oil on the road at most any gas stop if needed. I'm thinking Mobil 1. Here's the thing though. I've really never paid any attention to oil discussions so now when I did my research I'm seeing a lot of Mobile 1 extended service, red cap, gold cap, T-twin, MC, 20w-50, 15w-50 etc. It's got me confused as to which Mobile I should use and can get at gas stops and walmart. Is this the right stuff?
Yes, that is the stuff you can easily find anywhere...and what I, and many others, have used for years.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Thanks. I'll be changing all fluids this Saturday so it should be a nice oily day for me.

Seahag, do you have a dyno for your bike posted anywhere? I'd like to see what those 55s look like.

jockeyshift, 18 years eh? At least we know that stuff won't be discontinued any time soon!

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
Thanks. I'll be changing all fluids this Saturday so it should be a nice oily day for me.

Seahag, do you have a dyno for your bike posted anywhere? I'd like to see what those 55s look like.

jockeyshift, 18 years eh? At least we know that stuff won't be discontinued any time soon!
Sure do: http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68834

I've tweaked the timing a bit since then so I want to get it back on a dyno for a check. Others with similar builds are making the same torque but with hp figures over 100. You'll read more about it in the thread.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts