V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the throttle shaft from a magnetti-marelli throttle body? I have it completely disassembled except the throttle shaft. I don't know if it has to be pressed or if I can just tap it through but I don't wanna force anything til I know for sure exactly how its SUPPOSED to come out. This is definately not in the manual...

TIA

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nw_guy4_fun said:
yes but no
Best bet is back to Gerolomy
You know enough background to know that is NOT the answer I was hoping for......

Anyone else??

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Assuming you are trying to replace the shaft with one from a spare TB, have you tried to take out the spare first? I think you mentioned that the one you are trying to remove is bent. That could be the reason it is being difficult to remove. I have never disassembled a MM TB but I suspect it should be fairly easy to remove the shaft if it is straight. Just a guess though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I am trying the spare first. This is the one I don't want to screw up. If I can't figure out how all this works and get it apart easily without damaging it, it'll be on to plan 2(so far there is no plan 2).

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
:D
Never had that one specifically apart but the screws on TBs are generally staked and have to be ground to get the blades out. New screws are then a must and red loctite with a little stake to be sure. Sorry can't be of more help. OH and didn't meant to sound smart ass either.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would explain why the screws were so difficult to get out! I did get the out though and got the plates off, now all that's left in there is the shaft. Looks like some kind of sealed bearings on the ends but I can't really tell for sure and am not very swift mechanic so.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
The throttle shafts sometimes get burrs on them or a wear ridge due to vibration and constant back and forth movment.They will also hang up on the seal lip. I beleve the shaft will only come out one way .Try very light taping on the end.Check the shaft for burrs first as they will drag through the bosses and damage them.
AL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts