V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I definitely have a SE lifter going bad. When I move the lifter to another lifter location the noise volumes that lifter. Spoke to HD dealer and they told me they can not order just one lifter. Have to buy another set.

So my question is, since Jim’s makes the SE lifters for HD, can I buy one Jim’s lifter and run it with the SE ones. Not sure why not. But something tells me to ask the more experienced engine builders first.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
You can do it, but I would replace them all. If one is going bad, who is to say when the others will follow. You are there, replace them all and have piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
What Little Bear said....................

All the best, Ozzie

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
If the lifter fails to pump up or hold the oil the valve might have some debre in it. Take the lifter apart and clean the valve out with brake clean. I will post a picture of a lifter cross section so you can see where the valve washer is. Its worth a try to clean it and see if it will hold pressure before buying a new set, or even one.
Good Luck

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
hdmd88 said:
If the lifter fails to pump up or hold the oil the valve might have some debre in it. Take the lifter apart and clean the valve out with brake clean........
Agree with HDMD88...I've done this several times. If you can't get it to pump up after you've cleaned it...do as LittleBear suggested, replace 'em all.

Peace of mind is a wonderful thing while riding down lifes highway!!!

o~\o

·
Banned
48 Posts
kgoose said:
I definitely have a SE lifter going bad. When I move the lifter to another lifter location the noise volumes that lifter. Spoke to HD dealer and they told me they can not order just one lifter. Have to buy another set.

So my question is, since Jim’s makes the SE lifters for HD, can I buy one Jim’s lifter and run it with the SE ones. Not sure why not. But something tells me to ask the more experienced engine builders first.
Unless you have some crazy valve spring pressures or huge cam, consider a set of stock lifters. The current O/E lifters from H-D really are good, and don't seem to have the issues that Jims have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts