V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of changing the front brake lines soon for Braided.
Whats the M/O of the Mityvac Brake bleeding kit?
Does it Vacuum/suck the fluid 'Down' through the bleed nipple, or pump up?
Are they worth the money?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I have the Mity Vac and it will do either one. Just configure it the way you want. Pump or vaccum.

You may want to check out the Russell Speed Bleeders also. These bleeder fittings have a check ball in the fitting that lets the fluid go out when you squeeze the brake handle but keeps air from going back into the brakeline when you let off.

http://www.russellperformance.com/motorcycle/harley_speed_bleeders.htm

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Another advantage to the MityVac is that it can be used to suck in new front fork oil thru the drain hole on each side. Attach the MityVac to the front air value. (See the service manual on specific details)

Works like a charm for this and is not messy at all.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, it'll do me fine.
The speed bleeders are fine, but when the lines are off and the system is empty, I'll need something like this to re-introduce fluid in.
Did it before with a cheap hand oil pump, pumped it up from the nipple.
I'd rather vacuum it down.
Thought these Mityvac thingy's were more expensive!

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
ED Y tell me more about sucking fork oil through the air valve. I don't have my manual here at work. Is that the factory method listed in the manual? I have seen instructions on the web about pumping the fork oil in through the drain hole using a Bic pen cap shoved in the drain hole but I like your suggestion better.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Obviously this approach will only work on FLH/FLT bikes with air in front forks. HD service manual lists 2 ways to refill forks, 1 way being thru the drain hole. Does take 2 people though. I get my wife to help me if I'm at home. You just have to let all air out of forks, remove the inside from the front air valve, drain both forks, put drain plug back in one side, insert a piece of battery vent tube into the other drain plug hole. Put recommended amount of fork fluid in some type of container, put other end of battery vent tube in the container. Setup the MityVac to suck rather than pump, use one of the MityVac tapered attachments into the front air valve, slowly start pumping. The fork oil will be drawn up into the fork. Once all the fork fluid has been drawn in, keep pumping while other person pulls the battery vent tube and inserts the drain plug screw(quickly). Repeat for other side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts