V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing the bike's first oil change I checked the level and it was fine. Then I started the bike, turned it off and checked it again and its almost a quart low! (Yes, I am wiping the dipstick, putting it back in, threading it down, removing it and checking the level while the bike is level.

Since I've owned the bike its always checked low so I had the dealership add oil once and me a couple times.

This ain't right. I've never had a new engine lose oil like this before. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas whats going on?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Oil filter?

·
Registered
603 Posts
What was total volume of oil put in ? The oil lines, oil cooler & filter hold about quart.

JMS

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd think oil filter, too, but the mark on the dipstick should take that into account.

I changed the filter and added 4.5 quarts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
oil

When I change my oil, is takes 5 full quarts. Everything says 4.5. But, to get my dip stick to read full, I need 5.
vrodtom

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think mine is going to take over 5qts. I added a couple more ounces and its still about 1/4" below the diamond pattern area on the dipstick. No visible leaks and the oil doesn't appear cloudy which would have me thinking head gasket thoughts.

I've got an appointment at the dealership Wed. so I'll post if anything positive comes out of that.

vrodtom, was yours a 06/02 build?

·
Registered
544 Posts
And all along I thought it was me, thanks guys. I swear ever time I check my oil, even after I change it and added the required 4.5 quars; it looks like its 1/2 quart low. I sprung for he dip stick with the temp gauge and you can't see clean oil on it, so I have to use my plastic one that came with the bike. But it says check when hot, but when I check it I thought it was still cool, but after reading this I need to add that other 1/2 quart of oil now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think determining the correct capacity is what matters. I know my bike shifted better with more oil...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I was wrong. The dealership just added another .5 quart, said there were variations in the block castings that account for the capacity differences, balked at documenting it, and sent me down the road.

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Guess I'll have to call HD directly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I called HD and they said some V-Rods DO take 5 quarts. I asked them to send me an addendum to the owner's manual stating this and they didn't seem to have a problem with doing it.

After owning about 40 different internal combustion engine powered machines that all matched up to their oil capacity spec I'm a bit confused, but I'll be satisfied once I have it in writing from HD.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Let us know if and when you get it.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
98 Posts
a lot of people are checking their oil level without screwing in the dip-stick all the way, which gives a bogus reading. the mechanic that serviced my bike new, told me not to screw in the dip stick. i checked with harley and they said he was wrong!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The owner's manual describes the proper method for checking the oil.

This really bothers me. If they have no problem being off by over 10% with this, the front wheel nut being loose, and who knows what else what the heck did I get myself into here???

On top of this, they wanted to charge me $160 bucks for the first service interval to go back and check the things that should have been setup correctly at delivery. This is insane.

Is this really why there is a constant stream of V-Rods on eBay?

·
Registered
629 Posts
The constant stream comes from the people who want the new trendy bike. Now that the "Anniversary" bikes are out, the V-Rod isn't the new thing any more.

The problems who have are different, that is just an HD.

·
Registered
603 Posts
mnv-rod, I wouldn't worry about the actual quantity of oil required, just keep the oil level between the fill/full marks and go riding.

JMS

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I received this letter from HD today. I haven't had my scanner hooked up in a while and its short, so I'll rewrite the generic stuff and leave my name and VIN out.

-----

September 19, 2002

Dear (My name):

Thank you for your concern regarding adding 5 quarts of oil to your 2002 VRSCA, the (VIN...).

The amount of oil that would need to be added to your motorcycle will vary depending on how the oil was drained; on the jiffy stand, vertical, or on a vertical stand that elevates the rear of the vehicle.

The sump will hole (their mispelling, not mine. Should be 'hold') some of the oil if the rear of the vehicle is not elevated to remove every last drop. If the oil is checked at operating temperature, vertical is suggested, and the motorcycle takes 5 quarts to be correct on the dipstick (not overfilled), there is not an issue.

Thank you, (My Name), for taking the time to contact Harley-Davidson and allowing me to assist you in this regard.

Sincerely,

(Customer Service Rep's name)

Powertrain Customer Service

-----

Well, I guess that's that. If I run into any trouble down the road for having 5 quarts in there instead of the Owner's Manual prescribed 4.5 I'm covered.

·
Registered
450 Posts
OIL

Another explaination is that you may not be letting the motor sit long enough beforey you check the fluid level. Remembe there is oil at the very top of this very tall motor and it does take some time to drain back down into the crankcase.

In my experience after a oil serivce I like to take a short ride (5-10 miles) after ensuring that there is oil between the marks. the return and let the bike stand sit on a chunk of 2x4 for abut 10 minutes. The rest you know and I agree with using the stck oil cap to check the level.

The good thing is that once you have determined the correct level for your motor you just use that going forward.

Regards.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Just for the record:
I took my bike in today for the 1k service and they had to replace the Stator gromet (small grommet on the RH side of the bike at the near the driver's Right foot peg)which was apparently leaking. Sorry no digital camera today. This also meant pulling the whole cover and putting in a new gasket. I had noticed a little oily film on the casing but because I didn't seem to be losing oil I didn't pay much attention to it.

Part numbers listed on the invoice were: 5312,5103 and 2209 and 17011-01K. They also added a bead of silicone caulk, which didn't please me too much, but I'll keep and eye on it. (under warranty till 9/2003.)

Worst of all my new pipes and sundowner hadn't been delivered yet..so I'm still waiting for those.

·
Registered
83 Posts
DJW,

My 2003 was leaking (enough oil to drip to the floor) from the same area (rubber grommet). I replaced the gasket myself and am finding that the bike is weeping oil (not enough to cause a drip, but enough to film on the engine) at the bottom of the generator cover. Next oil change, I'm going to put a new gasket in and use silicone over the entire gasket surface.

Some silicone is needed at the rubber grommet -- the HD gasket actually had some blue sealant pre-applied on the gasket at the grommet area and at case-joints. I think that I'm going to have to use sealant all around the gasket.

Paul

1 - 20 of 20 Posts