V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:woohoo: O.K., I've had this beautiful '06 Pearl Yellow RK Custom for a full week now and so far it has far exceeded my expectations.

I had an '00 Ultra and then an '02 Ultra so I figured I'd have to find a way to deal with the crossover pipe heat and maybe even more heat from the Harley touring catalytic mufflers. I was planning to buy the RJ Originals heat shields if necessary to keep my upper legs from buring up at these long S. Florida stop lights. Surprise :D no heat. Maybe it's the wide Corbin Classic Solo leather seat that's shielding some of it but I'm just not feeling heat on my upper thighs at all.

I expected it to feel lighter and less top heavy without that big trunk hanging off the back. Much better than I ever expected. I can definitely see why the RK's are such big sellers.

Other than the Touring Cat. mufflers, this bike is all stock. So, I never expected it to feel so eager and quick. Again, must be the lighter weight. Feels much better than the '02 Ultra did with Kerkers and Stage 1.

Never expected to like the beach bars so much after hearing lots of complaints about them.

I must have a perfectly aligned RK Custom because I can let go of the bars and the balance is exceptional. Tracks like a longbed one ton truck down the interstate and handles great on the off-ramps.

Expected to need to switch to Progressive 440's right away. Of course, they delivered the bike with the standard air shocks filled with zero lbs. of air pressure. I put 30 lbs. in and the two up ride seems great to me.

I expected to have some sore tailbones after a long ride on the Corbin Classic Solo. Nope. It's feelin' good right from the get go.

I love all the air coming around and over the mid-low profile windshield and from not having the Ultra lowers. This makes for a great Florida bike. I forgot how much view of the road I was missing behind the batwing fairing.

Did I mention how beautiful the RK Custom is? I think it is the absolute best looking bike Harley makes %[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hey Ultra...Thats one hell of a nice scoot.I was looking at the exact bike, color and all at Palm Beach Harley last Friday.If money goes well I"ll have one in the spring.Ride safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey FlaFatBoy ... Saw the same bike ('05 I believe) there on 45th st. It was love at first sight but I just couldn't make a deal with them cause it had so much stuff on it. Then, they wouldn't call me back with a price on an '06. Ended up with the '06 for less money including the accessories I wanted from your dealer down in Ft. Laud. Jim Mahan was great to deal with and if he says he's gonna call you back, that's exactly what happens. You're gonna love the bike!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good post! I agree with everything you said...except for the color. Black Pearl is so much sweeter. :harhar:

·
Registered
97 Posts
best they make

Hey Ultra,
I have a '04 Road King Custom in the teal color I had the stage 1 air and exhaust done on mine before I ever picked it up. this thing goes like a raped ape. I put an air zepplin seat on mine, and I also love the handlebars. I now have~ 30,000 miles on it and would not trade it for any other bike that they make.
Greg:D

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I agree. In Jan. of '04 I walked in to a dealer to look at FatBoys. I saw the Custom and thought "Fat who?". I bought it on the spot and have put 34,000 miles on her with the stock seat, stock bars, stock shocks and no windshield(except in the extreme cold). The engine is well built but I'm just a power junky. I think this bike was made with me in mind! Congrats on a great bike!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Ultra, Congrats on the new RKC. I've got 8k on my '05 and am loving it.

I said basically the same thing when I rolled mine down the street the first time, "this thing is fine just the way it is." Within 7 months, I've dumped some change into. Now when I say I'm done, people just laugh.

I had to change the seat to a Corbin Classic Solo immediately. That stockseat was killing me. Love the beach bars too.

Anyway... enjoy,
8-Ball

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
hdmarsh77 said:
I agree. In Jan. of '04 I walked in to a dealer to look at FatBoys. I saw the Custom and thought "Fat who?"

HD,

I had the same experience. Had a picture of a Fatboy on my wall for 20 years... walked into the dealer, started looking at colors, saw the RKC and said, "what the hell is that? It looks like a Fatboy on steroids!" Drove off with a nice glacier white pearl the next day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I feel the same. I bought an 06 sunglo blue and love it. After 1000 miles I did the stage one and it runs so much better. other than that i have not changed anything but add a windshield. still love it.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hey Ultra...I know I said spring but on Friday I got a great deal on a 05' FLHRSI in yellow pearl from an out of state dealer that I could'nt refuse.Had to beg,borrow and steal to get it but oh well,you only live once!I also wanted an 05' because it has no cat converter on it.Should have it in my hands in 2-3 weeks and can't wait.:woohoo:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts