V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few things for the group to ponder. I am fairly mechanical and do about anything except go inside the motor but this is my first harley. 2002 Fat Boy, EFI stage 1, 2:1 pipes, 1000 miles and about to go to dealer for first (and last he'll do) service and with my laundry list of nagging issues.

1) At whatever that RPM that 50ish MPH in 4th gear is and at that same RPM in the other gears, I get an awful rattle from I think the top end....sounds like a dog chain being swirled around in a metal mixing bowl. I get it on a smooth road at steady RPM, maybe a tad more as i accelerate through that RPM and it actually gets louder and kinda skips a beat (the noise that is) when I hit a bump at that speed) as if you now flipped the dog chain up out of the bowl and caught it in the bowl. Goes away above or below that RPM area.

My guess....cam chains get sloppy at that RPM and are slapping the cases????????

2) In 85 degree or so weather...2 up or even single...general 2 lane cruising 40-50 MPH and I get a 250 degree oil temp reading. Swapped temp dipsticks with a buddy and it confirmed temp. Dealer (it was just the parts guy actually...haven't yet talked to service dude)says "thats normal" and "280 is even OK".

My guess...parts guy is on crack, my oil isn't oil anymore after an hour at 255 and I have an oil flow problem...any guesses?

3) I was dumb enough to use the ball end of my ball-end allen wrench to tighten the set screw for my left side swingarm pivot bolt chrome cover as I was installing them. Its on tight but the little ball snapped off and is stuck/jammed up in the set-screw and I suspect it has to come off to check torque on the swingarm. Tried drilling with a tiny drill bit to create a hole I could grap into but the bit was no match for hardened ball thingy. Anything I can try before my dealer either takes a crowbar to the cover or worse just leaves it on?

4) Fuel gage...after working fine for 700 miles, it now never goes below 7/8 reading even if I am down to a gallon. No guesses.

Just wanted a little input before I visit Mr Dealer

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This isn't like you guys...somebody must have some thoughts??

·
old timer
516 Posts
I don't think your cam chains are loose and hitting the cases...maybe pinging maybe some loos heatshields...takes a while to locate rattles.

Only have 1,000 miles...oil temps will be high til it breaks in...I regularly see 200 degrees and I have 30+k on my FAsTBOY. not to worry yet.

Try to use a center punch and try to rotate it counterclockwise a bit...might knock it loose.

Never rely on the fuel gage anyway...learn to read your odometer for fuel consumption.

There you go....

manny

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Logical.

If there is a small hole in the "ball" of the allen wrench from where you drilled. try an "EASY OUT" (generic name broken screw remover. You should be able to get them at HOME DEPOT, SEARS or any other tool outlet. Or you could try threading a screw in it and pull it out. I dont have a fu(king clue on anything else.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, both of you,

I was going for the "easy out" method with the allen ball but couldn't get the drill bit to even begin to drill a hole in the ball....too hard of a material I guess. I'll try the punch.

I know not to totally trust the gage but it would be cool if it at least moved now and then just for entertainment purposes.

The noise thing is a mystery...the odd thing is that it only shows up when I hit a bump IF I am at the one particular RPM. Maybe the dealer will know....anthings possible.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as Manny for the noise, my FLHTCUI was making a noise similar to what you described and it turned out to be one of the exhaust heat shields. The fuel guage I'd have the dealer check out but I always reset the trip meter at fill-up to double check if it's accurate.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The noise- possibly maladjusted primary chain or compensating sprocket? Noises can travel. Just because it sounds like it's coming from one area ddesn't mean it is. As for the fuel gauge, it's under warranty, just have the dealer replace it. If they know you're coming they can do that in 1 minute.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts