V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you guys can give me some advice here. On my new Road Glide, the mirrors cannot be adjusted so that I can see anything useful in them. I replaced the stock mirrors with round flame mirrors and they are better, but not much. I see on the HD accessory web pages that HD has mirror extenders (PN 91907-87) and replacement long-stem mirror stems (PN 91880-91T). The mirror stems are cheaper and would seem a better choice as they eliminate a joint and are one piece. Will these stems fit any HD mirror or only the longstem styles in the catalog? I know this isn't the most pressing question ever posted here but the useless mirrors are about the only thing I don't like about the new RG, and it makes me really nervous not being able to see traffic approaching from the rear at stoplights.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Moosemeat said:
Maybe you guys can give me some advice here. On my new Road Glide, the mirrors cannot be adjusted so that I can see anything useful in them. I replaced the stock mirrors with round flame mirrors and they are better, but not much. I see on the HD accessory web pages that HD has mirror extenders (PN 91907-87) and replacement long-stem mirror stems (PN 91880-91T). The mirror stems are cheaper and would seem a better choice as they eliminate a joint and are one piece. Will these stems fit any HD mirror or only the longstem styles in the catalog? I know this isn't the most pressing question ever posted here but the useless mirrors are about the only thing I don't like about the new RG, and it makes me really nervous not being able to see traffic approaching from the rear at stoplights.
This might be a bit of overkill. But I'd say, get an Ultra. :hystria: :xhere:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Amazing...

The Motor Company is still puttingf those useless short stems on the RG mirrors. :spank: My '01 had that problem. You'd hafta be purty durn skinny to see past your own self. I replaced with KuryAkyn.

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
Rock_Steady said:
This might be a bit of overkill. But I'd say, get an Ultra. :hystria: :xhere:
Way overkill Rock!!! Not everyone wants to ride what you ride.

As to the Road Glide, I had to get the long stem mirrors, I couldn't see anything exceptin my shoulders.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
The mirror problem is not limited to Road Glides. I have a 2006 Ultra, on the first ride the second thing I noticed was I could not see behind me, just my shoulders in the mirror. IMO the long stems look like rabbit ears & kind of gawky. I'm thinking of going to the faring mount mirrors There are quite a few baggers around here that have the fairing mounts & everyone I talked to liked them. Gives the bike a clean streamlined look. Of course the huge rabbit ear looking antenna need to go too.
Oh yeah, the first thing I noticed on that first ride, doggy EPA engine.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
You guys must be fuggin BIG!! I'd hate to see you in a dark alley on a bad day for you. At 6'0, 200lbs I can see just fine. :yikes:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rock- I sat on an Ultra- couldn't see anything outta those mirrors either. And yeah, as a former college shot-putter at 300bs I am a little bigger than the average guy! I wear a size 56 jacket.

Good ideas here but nobody has answered my original question- can I just replace my mirror stems with those extra-long ones? Or do I have to replace the whole mirror?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
usless stock mirrors

GreatEscape said:
The Motor Company is still puttingf those useless short stems on the RG mirrors. :spank: My '01 had that problem. You'd hafta be purty durn skinny to see past your own self. I replaced with KuryAkyn.
On both my '04 Sporty and my '05 Dyna, one of the first things I did after i got the bikes was shitcan my short-stem stock mirrors and install HD long-stem mirrors. I had the "improved" batwing mirrors installed on the '06 EG before I pocked it up and I'm about to toss them in favor of some long-stem handlebar-mount pieces. I SEE fine with the batwing mounts and they DO streamline the bike's looks but they need constant adjusting (no way to tighten them up!).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Moosemeat, I had to replace the entire mirror assemblys. I got the teardrop style for about $35 each from Shumate H-D.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all who replied. I like my flame mirrors so I am going to try the mirror extensions first. Then, if that doesn't work, I'll go with the long-stem mirrors.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Get kuryakyn Mangams with the long stems. You can get 2 for less that $60, stick out farther than stock and look really nice. I have the ellipse mirrors, they are oval, mirrors are smaller, but still provide much better vision than stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The guy that designed the mirrors did a great job. Then some idiot decided to mount them backwards. If you could switch sides they would be totally functional. As they are you get a nice wide angle to look at yourself and very little area to see where you need it. :huh:

P

1 - 15 of 15 Posts