V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 06 Electra glide and thinking it needs a bit more power for two up riding. Any idea what increase a SE stage one intake, 203 cam, D & D Fatcat 2 into 1 exhaust and a SERT tuner would make. Price is not that much of an object but warranty and reliability is. The dealer says that these options would not have any effect on the warranty.

Dealer also recommended SE 95 kit, SE high compression heads, Se high compression pistons and claimed that this probably would not have any effect on the warranty.

Is there that much difference in a 203 cam compared to the stock cam?

Heard claims of about 10HP increase with the D & D Fatcat with a good tune?

Opinions? Advice?

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
roofeditor said:
Just got a 06 Electra glide and thinking it needs a bit more power for two up riding. Any idea what increase a SE stage one intake, 203 cam, D & D Fatcat 2 into 1 exhaust and a SERT tuner would make. Price is not that much of an object but warranty and reliability is. The dealer says that these options would not have any effect on the warranty.

Dealer also recommended SE 95 kit, SE high compression heads, Se high compression pistons and claimed that this probably would not have any effect on the warranty.

Is there that much difference in a 203 cam compared to the stock cam?

Heard claims of about 10HP increase with the D & D Fatcat with a good tune?

Opinions? Advice?
Not to much support for the 203 cam on this forum and you definitely don't want the 203 if you are going with 95in. Think about what you want as far as power and then talk with a builder. There are so many options available it'll make your head spin. If you are just looking for a little more power for 2-up riding then i'd suggest just the big bore and cam change. SE heads are good but expensive. You can get cheaper and probably better head work by going thru BigBoyz or GMR (site sponsors) or Dewey. Any good 2 into 1 exhaust will work well. Maintaining the warranty is always an issue when doing performance work. And unfortunately, it seems that all the dealerships are different when it comes to what they will do without negatively affecting the warranty.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
roofeditor said:
I think you would be very happy with that.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The warranty inssue is a old one. Most shops will tell you that is is covered. What they are not telling you is the "they" are covering it, not harley so move or need warranty work at a dealer else where and you will have to foot the bill and hope the they pay you back.

You can really have a very nice running bick with a fair price. The SE parts do work but tend to be more costly than others and the gains not as good. But if you are stuck on SE items then go for it. After market parts will offer you perfromance as well and maybe a better matched package that what that dealer is trying to push. AS for the H/C kit I would not go there with a Bagger yes they do make some good tq but with a heavy bike they are prone to "ping" . The engine will not really like to be loaded heavy in a tall gear. Provided you keep in the correct gear at all times, and do not lug the engine ever you should be fine and oh yea always have very good fuel at that cylinder pressure it will not like poor fuel. You will be sounding like a popcorn maker going down the road.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
miles to go said:
you definitely don't want the 203 if you are going with 95in.
Why do you say that? Have you had a bad experience with this combination? That's what I've had for 3 years and have been quite pleased with it. Seems to me like this may be just what the original poster is looking for (minus the high compression stuff).

·
?????
3,531 Posts
miles to go said:
Not to much support for the 203 cam on this forum and you definitely don't want the 203 if you are going with 95in.
I had the nice simple Stage 2 with 203 cams in my last bike no issues. I've seen some bikes with this make decent power and torque.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The key is not to increase the compression with the 203 cam. A friend of mine is pleased with that cam and the 95Inch. He did have some head work to his stock heads but did not increase the compression ratio. He is getting 87 HP/96 TQ. That is on a carbed bike.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
murphdog said:
Why do you say that? Have you had a bad experience with this combination? That's what I've had for 3 years and have been quite pleased with it. Seems to me like this may be just what the original poster is looking for (minus the high compression stuff).
Maybe i misunderstood his question, but it sounded like he was still keeping the 203 even if going with the HC kit. From what i've read that would be a mistake. As others have stated, it's really all about the package. There is really no such thing as a bad cam - it's about selecting the right combination of equipment based on your riding style and having the work, especially tuning, done properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts