V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, been reading for a while now and finally decided to take the plunge and join up! I have been riding since 85 and can’t wait to get back on a bike again. Currently deployed in, Kuwait and Iraq. Hope to be home by Christmas. I am bike talk deprived so the V-Twin forum has been a welcome relief. My bike history... British x3, my favorite trophy trail 500 twin, Japanese, two many to count, BMW and a Sportster 95 883, which I had for two months and had to sell before I came here. So, that leaves me bike-less and in the need for help. Going to a big twin, but haven't decided which way to go. Should I buy brand new, we have a military program, or should I start in the used market?

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
microdoc said:
Should I buy brand new, we have a military program, or should I start in the used market?
I guess it depends on your budget. But check with AAFES (I know there was an AAFES dealer on Ali Al-Saleem when I went through there for R&R). AAFES can give good deals, but not always the best deal. My buddy got a better deal on his FatBoy through the local dealer than he would have gotten from AAFES. On the flip side, he bought his wife a Low Rider through AAFES because the dealer couldn't touch the price. Be a smart shopper I guess.

Be safe and you're in the final days!! :woohoo: What a great feeling to come home after leaving that part of the world. I know I was happier than a pig in $hit after I got back from Afghanistan earlier this year.

Welcome.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Welcome to the VTF! Thanks for service and allowing me to have the freedom to ride. :D As far as the ride, I'd by brand new, but that's just my 2. The value of a used would be the same price as buying new, I believe. Be safe,

Carrie

·
Registered
208 Posts
we have a military program, or should I start in the used market?
When I was passing through Kuwait I compared the prices and found my local dealer to have a better price, then when we got through dealing it was even better than when we started. But AAFES does have a decent price, they just won't deal.

Be safe.

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,011 Posts
Thanks for protecting our freedom and rights as Americans. Have a safe trip home. I hope you get a well deserved homecoming in Portland.

With all the issues with the newr bikes, I would steer you into getting an 04 or 05. I really hven't had any major issues with my 05 Heritage. You can pick up a great used bike for a very affordable price.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
microdoc said:
Well, been reading for a while now and finally decided to take the plunge and join up! I have been riding since 85 and can’t wait to get back on a bike again. Currently deployed in, Kuwait and Iraq. Hope to be home by Christmas. I am bike talk deprived so the V-Twin forum has been a welcome relief. My bike history... British x3, my favorite trophy trail 500 twin, Japanese, two many to count, BMW and a Sportster 95 883, which I had for two months and had to sell before I came here. So, that leaves me bike-less and in the need for help. Going to a big twin, but haven't decided which way to go. Should I buy brand new, we have a military program, or should I start in the used market?
From another desert area, welcome to the VTF......and thank you for your service to our country.

·
Registered
322 Posts
SHORT!!!!!!! thats sweet THANX for serving,,, the new/used choice is a touhg call,,,I think 05 back due to all the new goofy stuff being used. a lot of dealers are going msrp,, e bay is flooded with brand new bikes (under 10k miles) do a lot of research,again thanx ride hard cb

·
Registered
80 Posts
From an old vet to a new one, welcome to the forum and thank you for your service! You may want to have a stateside buddy try checking prices at your local dealres for you. Prices in my area look like they are beginning to dip a little. At least the dealers are in a dealing mood. You can use that information to compare prices on the models you may be interested in.

Eyes open, stay safe.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
From another old vet to a young one, thanks for serving. There are some awful good deals on used late 90's Evo's and early 2000 TC's. If you're patient, they are out there at good prices.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts