V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know. Before I even ask the question, I can hear "if you spend $20,000 grand on a bike you shouldn't be concerned with little things like miles per gallon", but....

Just got my V-Rod back from dealer install of SE double barrel, chipped and air filtered. Although I havn't checked the mileage it now seems to use less fuel than before! Is that possible? Given that riding season is almost over here in NE Wisconsin I probably won't be able to check mileage until spring.

I am not concerned about MPG so much as the range of the bike. Its kind of embarrassing when you can only go 120 miles or so before fueling stops!.

What kind of MPG are you guys getting with stock vs aftermarket pipes?

Thanks! Pete

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've got SE-1's, chip and K&N filter. On a trip from Detroit to Chicago, 660 miles round-trip, I got 36.9 miles per gallon. (About 90% of miles were highway) I never used the stock exhaust. I'm interested in what others are getting. I've heard as high as 40 or 50 miles average, but I'm not overly concerned because I know that I'm a little rev-happy and the bike is running great.

·
Registered
110 Posts
PAS22

After break-in got about 47 to 49 mpg.
After muffler mods, SE 1 Air cleaner and ECM up date between 45 and 47.
After Air Sensor relocation 42 to 45.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
34mpg!!!

On my Sunday putt (winding country roads, no highway)
I squeezed 120 miles out of a tank of gas.
When I refilled, she took in 3.56 gallons!
Thats as close as it gets.

Anybody come closer than that? (without running out)

·
Banned
490 Posts
Riding in the red..

I don't think I've ever had the odometer go past 85 miles before the "Lo" fuel light came on. On a long highway leg I managed to put 116 miles on before filling up, and she took just over 3 gallons.

I don't know what other riders think, but I'm not too comfortable riding with that low fuel light on. I'm not at all sure how happy I'd be riding out west where there are long patches of highway without a gas station. I wouldn't much like to pass a sign that said "Next Gas 120 miles" - I know theoretically the bike would make it there - but a delay, a navigational error, or a mechanical problem might put you in deep trouble. I suppose you could always plan on going with other riders, but relying on the kindness of others strikes me as a pretty poor practice. The thought of strapping an extra gas can to the luggage rack is only slightly more appealing than the risk of becoming buzzard bait.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Drew,
I usually fill up at around 80-90 miles. I was performing an experiment to see how far I could go on a tank of gas. I was pretty nervous at mile 110-120. I did have my bro on his Springer right on my wing as a good insurance policy.

I'm not at all sure how happy I'd be riding out west where there are long patches of highway without a gas station. I wouldn't much like to pass a sign that said "Next Gas 120 miles"
Sounds like its been a while since you've visited the west coast Drew. SF Bay Area population 6million+ = lots of gas stations, SUVs & fellow biker bros. Come out to the coast, we'll have some laughs! Sept, Oct, Nov are our best riding months! Sunny skys and 70 deg.

Life is good in Hog Heaven

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the low fuel light comes on with about 1/2 gallon or so left in the tank. I usually fill at that point and it usually takes around three gallons.

Realistcially with this kind of horsepower and high reving gear ratios, I wouldn't expect to average more than 30 mpg combined. Strictly highway, maybe 35. My 1100cc, 600LB, Honda Sabre with considerably less ponies and less agressive set up gets around 45mpg. So low to mid thirties is probably about right. Since its going to be in the thirties in Wisconsin for the coming week it will probably be next spring before I can do a day ride.

Appreciate your input, Pete

·
Registered
603 Posts
70 mph hwy > 45 mpg
My low light comes on after about 2.3 gallons used.

JMS

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was that 70 KPG or MPG? LOL! My old single carbed 600cc 35 horse VLX could do 70 mpg with a good backwind on a downhill run!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All kidding aside, 45mph is great for this kind of performance, actrually something to brag about!

Thanks, Pete

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oops, I meant 45 miles-per-gallon! Dam fingers!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Joejitsu,

Did I miss something? What happened to your bike?

Pete

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Around 35 mpg (all stock 'till tomorrow), but I tend to speed (120mph) or so, on a regular basis, and you can watch the needle fall at that speed. For the record, I've had the needle right down on top of the "E" and not run out. Never been able to put anymore than just over 3.2 gallons (overflow just dumps it on the ground anyway, after that.) I'm guessing you got about 10 miles or so, at least, when you're on "E." That amounts to about 120 miles for me (110mi./3.2 gal = 34.3 mpg.) with a 10 mi. reserve. I do think I got nearly 135 while cruising with my daughter on the back, and really babying it. (PS. Always 93 octane)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am happy to see you walked away Joe..........
I have been in the same situation many a time and I am lucky to say I always avoided contact............

·
Registered
906 Posts
I avoided quite a few myself as well...there was just no time to respond, luckily I caught her at a perfect 90 degree angle so I wasn't crushed between the bike and the car. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I had a $100 for every time I had a close call with someone pulling out in front of me I could pay for the V-Rod! My closest happened circa 1978 when I a car with its left turn signal on turned right into the right lane that I was riding in. Had to throw the bike down on its side to avoid hitting him. Lucally it was only a Honda XL 175, and we were both going slow, so it was easy to dump. The driver kept on going like nothing had happened.

Glad to see your OK. Drive defensively, theres alot of idiots out there!

Pete

·
Registered
906 Posts
When I was a teenager I witnessed a bike accident. :(

A lady rider for some reason tried passing on the lft side of a taxi that was stopped in front of her with the left turn signal on!

Well just as she was passing he turned into her -clearly he wouldn't have seen her coming, and she slammed into his driver side and got airborne!

She had a half face helmet on and landed face first onto the pavement!

Needless to say when i ran over to her she was not looking pretty at all, her face was hamburger! :(

She just made a bad decision and I'm sure she was left with some obvious reminders.

Something like that almost happened to me as well when I came up to a car stopped in the middle of of a rural road for no apparent reason, had no turn signal on and wasn't moving at all. I slowed down and went to pass on the left -and the fu(ker decided he wanted to go left!

Luckily the bike had enuff balls that I was able to avoid that catastrophe!
:(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts