V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Post! That’s out of the way. I picked up a 94 FXR a few weeks ago that needed a little aesthetic love.

Looked decent from 15 feet away but was showing it’s 26 year old wrinkles when you got close.

I’m planning out a mild twinky build and have stripped her down:

I’ve got a low mileage 1450 Tc with all the running gear, swing arm and throttle body for the project. Still on the fence if I keep the Delphi EFI or carb it.
I’ve picked up a kinetic motor mount and this kit from ramjet racing:

My goal right now is to get the motor, trans and other parts fitted and then send the frame off to powdercoat before Christmas.

right now plan is as follows:

• Dyna mids
  • Dyna kick stand
  • 88 CU TC with Touring trans

I’d really like some input regarding getting that kit from Ramjet in there. Who here has done it? Any pointers? I’m having the welding done professionally but I need to assure fitment.

·
FOAD
333 Posts
I have never used that kit although I know it's available but just make sure to measure everything and you need more than a good welder they need to be a good fabricator as well. I have seen welders and that is all they do but a fabricator knows how to use metal and how to weld. I have a son who is a boilermaker/fabricator and he took a lot of measurements and welded everything in spot on but we made all out own parts to do it.

Also you are bound to get the don't cut the frame gang along anytime now and they will tell you to block of the tranny and use the FXR oil tank or to buy a $1200-$1800 oil pan and keep the frame stock but if you do it properly no-one will actually even bother looking under the frame when it is all together.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never used that kit although I know it's available but just make sure to measure everything and you need more than a good welder they need to be a good fabricator as well. I have seen welders and that is all they do but a fabricator knows how to use metal and how to weld. I have a son who is a boilermaker/fabricator and he took a lot of measurements and welded everything in spot on but we made all out own parts to do it.

Also you are bound to get the don't cut the frame gang along anytime now and they will tell you to block of the tranny and use the FXR oil tank or to buy a $1200-$1800 oil pan and keep the frame stock but if you do it properly no-one will actually even bother looking under the frame when it is all together.
Thanks for the info. The guys doing it are a custom shop. They’ve done a few FXR twincams without the use of the kit.

I was considering going the route of the aftermarket oil pan but I can’t justify the price, and frankly if I’m going to start cutting and welding on tabs,master cylinder brackets, kick stand mounts and the like what’s the difference cutting out the existing crossmember and adding something lighter and stiffer.

·
FOAD
333 Posts
I was considering going the route of the aftermarket oil pan but I can’t justify the price, and frankly if I’m going to start cutting and welding on tabs,master cylinder brackets, kick stand mounts and the like what’s the difference cutting out the existing crossmember and adding something lighter and stiffer.
I am with you 100% I don't have a problem cutting and welding a the braces.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not all TC88A touring trans cases are equal. The FXR inner primary will bolt on to a '99-'00 touring trans case. The '01 trans case will not accept the FXR inner primary case. Lots of ways to solve this problem and everyone thinks their way is the best.

One thing you have not addressed is an ignition system. If you decide to use a fuel injection system this is sort of irrelevant, but if you decide to run a carb on this project there is a fork in the road. The easy way is to run the simple stand alone ignition system sold by Thunderheart. This ignition system does not have any of the advanced features offered by an aftermarket module that is plug and play replacement for an oem module. While the Thunderheart might be simple to install, it does not use a MAP sensor. Not using a MAP sensor is sort of a step backwards.

Good luck with your FXR/TC project.

Reactions: pwmorris

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not all TC88A touring trans cases are equal. The FXR inner primary will bolt on to a '99-'00 touring trans case. The '01 trans case will not accept the FXR inner primary case. Lots of ways to solve this problem and everyone thinks their way is the best.

One thing you have not addressed is an ignition system. If you decide to use a fuel injection system this is sort of irrelevant, but if you decide to run a carb on this project there is a fork in the road. The easy way is to run the simple stand alone ignition system sold by Thunderheart. This ignition system does not have any of the advanced features offered by an aftermarket module that is plug and play replacement for an oem module. While the Thunderheart might be simple to install, it does not use a MAP sensor. Not using a MAP sensor is sort of a step backwards.

Good luck with your FXR/TC project.
Thanks!

I haven’t figured out ignition yet that’s true. Mostly because I haven’t decided carb or EFI but I’ll get there.

I’m using the inner and outer primary from the 05 touring for this project. I’ll have to modify it for mids.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is turning into an interesting project.......with the possibilities of modifying/mating other year HD parts into it.
Taking/posting several clear photos of this as you move forward may/will help others.
I think that the more information/photos posted, you will get more followers tracking your progress.....even if at times it is nothing more than what didn't work.....or to ask others for input.

Good luck with the FXR-TC Project.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is turning into an interesting project.......with the possibilities of modifying/mating other year HD parts into it.
Taking/posting several clear photos of this as you move forward may/will help others.
I think that the more information/photos posted, you will get more followers tracking your progress.....even if at times it is nothing more than what didn't work.....or to ask others for input.

Good luck with the FXR-TC Project.
I'll update as I go. Crossmembers are coming out this weekend. I scored a NOS tank that I'm picking up Monday so the carb might just be staying.

·
FOAD
333 Posts
I'll update as I go. Crossmembers are coming out this weekend. I scored a NOS tank that I'm picking up Monday so the carb might just be staying.
Wiring uo the tc88 ignition is piece of cake once you have done a few and you are better of staying with carb. I like EFI and I tune the things and have done since the Softails came out with Delphi in 2001 but they are great when they are running right and a bitch when they are not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wiring uo the tc88 ignition is piece of cake once you have done a few and you are better of staying with carb. I like EFI and I tune the things and have done since the Softails came out with Delphi in 2001 but they are great when they are running right and a bitch when they are not.
I’m really leaning toward the carb now since I found that NOS tank. I’m picking it up Monday. Alternatively I assume I’d have to get a fuel injection tank and modify it to mount to the FXR frame, slightly more complicated.

I did a little shopping today and picked up a set of these:

I also picked up these parts locally. Takeoffs from a late model sporty:

·
FOAD
333 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hope to see some good pics of the modified inner primary, and the outer cover as well.

Have seen a bunch of attempts at modifying '01 and up (all eras) touring primary cases for use with FXR mid controls. Have never seen one that didnt leak, to include one done by Fab Kevin. I am sure this one will be much better.

·
FOAD
333 Posts
Don't need to modify the outer on a 05 for mid controls and the inner.................well lets say there is more than one way to skin a cat
As for 07 up that is another story but someone has come up with quite a good answer but I have not seen it in person but by all accounts it works and does not leak.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just a question but......How far does that Ramjet-Racing (Dyna-Side-Stand-Bracket) weld-in kit stick down vs. the standard FXR side-stand bracket (?).

Maybe it's just their photo (?)......or is this a possible future-issue (?). Anyone have any past experience with this kit (?).
Any option to use an older bolt-on side-stand at the left-side highway-peg-mounts on left-side of frame (?).

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Don't need to modify the outer on a 05 for mid controls and the inner.................well lets say there is more than one way to skin a cat
As for 07 up that is another story but someone has come up with quite a good answer but I have not seen it in person but by all accounts it works and does not leak.
If you are posting it, and endorsing it, you are backing it. Who, and what set up works? If you talk it, walk it....
I waited years running my Evo set up oil tank with my Twin Cam on my FXR, till I could run a TC oil tank that wouldn’t cut the lower crossmember. Turboprop eventually sent me a bad ass pan that fit beautifully on my FL Trans I had in my garage, and left my frame intact. 👍
Guess what, any butcher can use a torch and cut anything....But can you work around the best HD Moco frame ever designed, without chopping it, and being lazy?
Also, using a TC primary set up that works, doesn’t leak, with zero excuses?
FXR=frame and it’s structure stay the way Eric Buell and the MOCO designed it.
Period.

OP-
Looks Great-
Just keep On rolling...I use a carb (super EZ wiring and tuning), and keep us posted...
Love the project!

·
FOAD
333 Posts
Well if it isn't Pee Wee Morris flapping his gums.
Have nothing to prove to you and never will have.
Been reading your posts for many years and you are just a angry little man with an attitude.
Haven't seen you on HTT since you got your ass whipped for mouthing off.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Well if it isn't Pee Wee Morris flapping his gums.
Have nothing to prove to you and never will have.
Been reading your posts for many years and you are just a angry little man with an attitude.
Haven't seen you on HTT since you got your ass whipped for mouthing off.
LOL-
Love it Numero Uno Scotty.....
That didn’t take long-

Post your TC FXR builds and walk your BS talk.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Nope, it is the inner that is the issue. As stated, I have seen a bunch of attempts to modify '01 and up inner primary cases to use oem style mid controls. Have never seen one that didnt leak or have other issues.
LOL-
Love it Numero Uno Scotty.....
That didn’t take long-

Post your TC FXR builds and walk your BS talk.

PW - The internet forums have always been infected with guys that like to regurgitate stuff they have read online. Lots of experts online, but very few that have actually done stuff. <sigh> It is what it is.

To the OP - I have seen a few FXR/TC bikes that used that Ramjet cross member. I even helped build one with a friend in my garage. IMO, its a very easy solution to a couple of problems. I have built a few oil pans that allow the use of bagger trans cases FXR frames. I even sent one of my modified pans to Deviant Fabrications for them to use to design their billet pan. To cut or not cut the frame is a personal decision that many people have strong opinions about. But that is sort of irrelevant to the discussion about the inner primary and mid controls. Regardless of any internet noise, a used '99-'00 bagger trans case is about $250 on ebay. This case will accept any year five speed gear sets and every year FXR inner primary will bolt on without modification. Makes for a very easy build that is oil tight and will accept all oem parts, hardware etc.

For true FXR primary drive nirvana, source a '94, '99-'00 FXR inner primary case and an outer cover for a '05 bagger. This setup takes the five bolt derby cover, has the drain plug with an o-ring (vs the tapered threads) and takes the very latest five speed starter without any adapter jack shafts required. This will also have enough internal clearance to run the '98 and newer clutch with a variable pressure plate without having to cut or grind anything for clearance.

I have built a bunch of FXR/TC bikes. Feel free to PM me intelligent, thought out questions that are specific to putting a TC engine into an FXR chassis. Glad to help. Best of luck separating the online signal from the noise and have fun with your project.

Turbo

1 - 20 of 88 Posts