V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Revperf
Joined
·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ummmm. I'd imagine purty good! Kinda like this :xhere: I am thinkin' a look somewhat like this would be appropriate. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Well i can't see the dyno graph as not a member.
but 161HP is fantastic from 135" HD. that could get you down the quarter in 8's if you could ride, maybe 9's as it's a fat bike.
but your talking about gears here and it has a 6 speed, well i always dyno my 5 speed in 4th, as all i'm doing is checking tune and always use SAE so i can compare with past runs and different parts and set ups on my bike for drag's. i have used 5th and saw a gain but thats one of the draw backs of chasis dyno's, engine dyno's seem more accurate with a good opperator. but i've been told how some have played with weather settings on engine dyno's to get inflated #'s.
but no worries.
what i like to do is do a timed run, see how quickly it can make HP & TQ, i found if i see a gain in HP & TQ and then do a timed run, and compare with past dyno runs, ( like if i change carb or cams or pipes) and the new set up makes HP & TQ faster, when i go to the track the black dyno shows gains on time ticket and faster trap speed, but if say i make more HP & TQ but it takes longer than b4 to make it you don't always see a gain on time ticket but you might see the MPH go up.
i think some guys here have called what i'm talking about Spooling up, or how quick does it spool up.

Like two months back i was at a wednesday night just testing, i just happened to have lined up with some young guy on a new suzuki GSXR1000 or what ever they call them, i out reacted him and beat him to line i ran 11.3, not sure what time he ran, but a guy in the stands came down in to the pits, he owned a 04 lowrider he thought i had a 124" when i told him it was a 95" stock bottom end, he became really excited. he told me he had CNC SE heads 103"SE flywheels CV44 carb SE ST SM 2into1 i forget what cams but they were SE the dealer done the work. he said he would bring it to the track next week to race. so i said ok.
he gets there next week and after 5 pass's best time was 12.2 110mph, i told him that was very good for his first time, he was very disapointed as i think he expected he could have beat me. he was quoteing dyno #'s from the time i meet him, i told him, dyno to dyno you get a variation so very hard to compare. but this is the dyno i like, just you have to learn to use what you have, once you are at the limit, and you can ride your bike to the limit, then, the black dyno can work as a real dyno for you.
sorry for the long post i was just trying to explain real world experience.
cheers
ps i have friend that use the long white dyno but that makes it more expencive as things go rusty fast!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
443 Posts
revperf said:
Ummmm. I'd imagine purty good! Kinda like this :xhere: I am thinkin' a look somewhat like this would be appropriate. :eek:
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: Good Answer ... FYI guys, I still haven't decided on a shop for my 124/131 build (Depending on the condition of my crank) ... I'm still looking for a performance shop in Northern CT/Western, Ma. area that I am comfortable with (Of course being from Arizona, I still don't know all the players). I may make the ride to R&R In New Hampshire or Rosa's on Long Island (Both are about 3 hrs drive)... but I'd really like to find someone closer to me (Springfield, Ma).:dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Lakes said:
Well i can't see the dyno graph as not a member.
but 161HP is fantastic from 135" HD. that could get you down the quarter in 8's if you could ride, maybe 9's as it's a fat bike.
Lakes,

With most anything Brian/RevPerf post here, the graph will also be posted on RevPerf website too, so you can go there and see it. Being a non member too, I do that.

Now sometimes Brian will add the RevPerf website address to his post and that saves me time if I forget Revolution Performance is www.revperf.com

Now if Brian were to use picture function in tool bar above and insert address of that picture on RevPerf website then he reaches the entire membership here, + guests that haven't figured out just going to Revperf website to view.:hmmm: :265: :D



Wonder if telling him about picture function will get me a shot at testing that new carb for HP increase. Aw I'll settle for a :thanks: :duh?:​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Hey Thanks Jere, Brian that's a beatiful long TQ Curve!!
and great HP in anyones book!
just looking at the AFR can't see what it is at but i see it goes richer up hi were HP drops, if it's EFI you would think they would map it fat in middle and lean off up hi?

i been thinking about the G2 126" motor, has the B2 heads short stroke, never seen anyone ever post on one of these, any thoughts?
 

·
Revperf
Joined
·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
turbotc said:


Lakes,

With most anything Brian/RevPerf post here, the graph will also be posted on RevPerf website too, so you can go there and see it. Being a non member too, I do that.

Now sometimes Brian will add the RevPerf website address to his post and that saves me time if I forget Revolution Performance is www.revperf.com

Now if Brian were to use picture function in tool bar above and insert address of that picture on RevPerf website then he reaches the entire membership here, + guests that haven't figured out just going to Revperf website to view.:hmmm: :265: :D



Wonder if telling him about picture function will get me a shot at testing that new carb for HP increase. Aw I'll settle for a :thanks: :duh?:​
Dammmnnn. That was harsh! :crying: Aiight, point taken. I hereby promise to do my best, to do my duty, to doo doo...uh, maybe not that. Anyway, whenever I post here I will say to myself over and over again. "Picture button. Picture button. Picture button." Oh, and BTW, I just sold my test PSI so I don't even have one. Got'm ordered though. What I will do is sell you one and if you don't like it better than your current piece then just send it back. No re-stocking fee, nada. I think you'll dig it though. I have been slammed with training on our new CNC seat and guide machine for the last couple of days but things are settlin' down a bit. Call me tomorrow if you get a chance. 866-892-2109.

Oh damn, I almost forgot again.
www.revperf.com

Brian
 

·
Revperf
Joined
·
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
thundercatken said:
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: Good Answer ... FYI guys, I still haven't decided on a shop for my 124/131 build (Depending on the condition of my crank) ... I'm still looking for a performance shop in Northern CT/Western, Ma. area that I am comfortable with (Of course being from Arizona, I still don't know all the players). I may make the ride to R&R In New Hampshire or Rosa's on Long Island (Both are about 3 hrs drive)... but I'd really like to find someone closer to me (Springfield, Ma).:dunno:
Andrew from Rosa's is a good cat. He is a dealer for our products and familiar with them and puts a good motor together.

BN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
revperf said:
Dammmnnn. That was harsh! :crying: Aiight, point taken. I hereby promise to do my best, to do my duty, to doo doo...uh, maybe not that. Anyway, whenever I post here I will say to myself over and over again. "Picture button. Picture button. Picture button." Oh, and BTW, I just sold my test PSI so I don't even have one. Got'm ordered though. What I will do is sell you one and if you don't like it better than your current piece then just send it back. No re-stocking fee, nada. I think you'll dig it though. I have been slammed with training on our new CNC seat and guide machine for the last couple of days but things are settlin' down a bit. Call me tomorrow if you get a chance. 866-892-2109.

Oh damn, I almost forgot again.
www.revperf.com

Brian
Brian,

Not harsh, just that engine looks to be one very street-able HP/TQ combination. Shame that some people might not know to go to revperf website to view if they're not a premium member. Lot of big engine graphs do not impress me because the power looks more dyno queen than street friendly.

Now one other thing that might help you have to think less when posting.
I'm not a premium member to know for sure about this, but I think you have signature line privilege. If so you may be able to add revperf website address there and not have to think about remembering to add it when posting. Just a thought.

As far as the carb goes, I would only want to test it under controlled conditions.

I really don't have an engine that can make use of it's flow. With stock crate S&S 124 big valve heads and smallish DME630 cams I'm probably better off with the Wood SK505 flow to help intake velocity, plus it's been adapted to be able to use cruise control. Thanks any way. Maybe if I do something with my softail later this year, I'll give you a call. Thanls for the offer.​
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
If you take a stock hd and dyno it and run a negative hp test you will see approx 25-31 -HP of that number you will see that approx 4-7 is in the drivetrain, so the rest is in the engine of that number left over 80% of that number is valve spring pressure. The rest is frictional loss internal. Now on a REV cylinder we have seen that small left over number go down due to the cylinders not creating as much drag on the rings. A HD motor is full of roller bearings, compared to other types that use mainly plain bearings.


-27hp ( total) -5 ( drivetrain) = 23,,.. of that -23hp 80% is valve train pressure = 18.4 and the rest is frictional loss internal. Now that is with a stock engine, performance engines move those numbers around a bit.

Hope that is clear as uuhhh mud?? :hmmm:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
If you take a stock hd and dyno it and run a negative hp test you will see approx 25-31 -HP of that number you will see that approx 4-7 is in the drivetrain, so the rest is in the engine of that number left over 80% of that number is valve spring pressure. The rest is frictional loss internal. Now on a REV cylinder we have seen that small left over number go down due to the cylinders not creating as much drag on the rings. A HD motor is full of roller bearings, compared to other types that use mainly plain bearings.


-27hp ( total) -5 ( drivetrain) = 23,,.. of that -23hp 80% is valve train pressure = 18.4 and the rest is frictional loss internal. Now that is with a stock engine, performance engines move those numbers around a bit.

Hope that is clear as uuhhh mud?? :hmmm:
Tell me if I got this right.

25-31 HP, nominal of that = 28 HP.

28HP - 20% drivetrain loss = 22.4. 28HP - 15% drivetrain loss = 23.8. Nominal drivetrain loss of 17.5 % of 28 HP would leave you with 23.1 HP.

So your saying 15-20% so 17% would be good nominal drivetrain lost?​
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
I amnot syaing that it is good or bad but the number that we see are -5-7 on drive train, and the total are in the 25-31 range for both engine and drive train. If you really want to have some fun play with air psi only, tire alignment, belt or chain tension, types of oil. This test will always toss the oil claims of getting free hp. Tested many types and have never seen any real gains. I have seen where a snake oil will cost you power though:nope: .

Looking at dyno runs we set air pressure, to a set amount for tire type, check belt, primary chain tension, and make sure we are in the same range on oil temps before doing the before and after dyno. As you know you can really play games on the dyno seen it and I see sheets that are just too much BS to even start to think that it could be done.

Big tire bikes are always hampered by the size and weight of the tire.
 
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Top