V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone out there got any starting procedures for a Mikuni Flat Slide conversion. I have trouble at times getting it started! I am having trouble mostly when cold starting. I have tried full choke, full choke and one or two pumps on the throttle, just pumping the throttle, all the above and cracking open the throttle. It is stock 88 inch with free breathing air filter, open exhaust, Crane ignition module. The carb (HSR42) went on last......then the trouble started. Thanks in advance.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Are you having trouble starting it when it is hot or cold? Do you have the manual that comes with the carb? Are you using the Mikuni choke cable or the stock Harley choke cable ? Many problems can come from a binding choke cable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
buells1 said:
Has anyone out there got any starting procedures for a Mikuni Flat Slide conversion. I have trouble at times getting it started! I am having trouble mostly when cold starting. I have tried full choke, full choke and one or two pumps on the throttle, just pumping the throttle, all the above and cracking open the throttle. Thanks in advance.
Tell us a little about your build Is it stock 95 etc. I have had Mikuni's for years and never had a problem. Give us a little more info.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
kgoose said:
Tell us a little about your build Is it stock 95 etc. I have had Mikuni's for years and never had a problem. Give us a little more info.
I agree we may need a little more information to help you. Does it start at all. Does it run OK after it has started? Are the vacuum lines hooked up ? Or plugged on the back of the carb if they are not used? There is one on some bikes that runs from the petcock to the back of the carb. If that is not hooked up there wont be any gas. Was the carb new or bought used ?

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Crane

I would check the Crane Ignition first !!!! I had problems starting mine and a ignition switch fixed it. I like the older Crane ignition

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
If the carb was new..did you change the enrichner plunger that was on the CV enrichner and install the one for the MIK..if not it will be lean.

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
I have the same problem with a built 95" with the 45mm Mikuni. Starts perfectly when warm, but not worth a $hit when cold. I run a Crane ignition and do believe it is the problem. They need 9 volts to fire and some times a battery can have a voltage drop below that. Try putting your stock ignition back in and see if that helps. If so, you know the source of your problem. I ditched the Crane for a few reasons, but it's winter in NE Ohio and the scooter is down until some time in Feb or March, so I can't do the test myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I may have found a problem.........

I think I may have a problem with the TSS unit. It may be shutting off the ignition thinking it is leaned over too far. Wonder if I could bypass that part of the TSS? At least to test it......... Visit my homepage at:
http://www.geocities.com/kenny_brett

1 - 8 of 8 Posts