V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this carb for my '02 FXDWG. I plan to install it over the weekend. It looks fairly simple but I've spent most of my adult life afraid of carburetors. Any tricks to the install or tuning? FYI (on tuning) I ride on the Left Coast at sea level to about 2,000 feet. My ride has a Ness Big Sucker II and V&H Straightshots. Otherwise no real performance mods. Comments/suggestions welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
They are way rich from the factory.

You will likely need a 17.5 or 20 pilot jet, a 50 pump nozzle, a 98 needle in the center position and a 160 main. Turn the accel pump cutoff all the way flush with the carb body.

It's usually best to cut the two cyllinder head fins next to the bowl down with a die grinder.

They are real easy to work with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips. You're at altitude (at least compared to me). Does that change your jetting suggestions?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
That's the first time I hear Phoenix and altitude in the same sentence.

No, it's pretty much for sea level, but you might go marginally richer, like the 20 pilot and maybe the clip one groove down from center on the 98 needle, as it is generally colder where you are.

If you don't want to buy the 98 needle the 97 needle (should be stock) with the clip in the top most position might work for you. I just don't like running the clips on the first or last grooves just in case I decide to make a minor adjustment.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks much. Oh, and everything is pretty much at altitude from here (except Death Valley -- which is a fantastic ride for anyone able to make the trip).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts