V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am asking a question for a friend.
He is thinking about changing out his CV carb on his 04 Sportster 1200 to a Mikuni HSR.
Does anyone have any experience with these carbs?
Pros and Cons?
He runs the stock head pipe with cycle shack slip ons thats about it for any Mods.
Thanks for your time!!

·
Banned
128 Posts
If he is looking for more power right from the switch, he won't get it. Plus you may want to tell him to replace the A/C with a high flow unit if he hasnt already. I would do that first.
What he will get with the Mikuni is much better throttle response, and a carb that is easier(and more accurately) to tune. It will also flow better and produce better power when he has done other performance modifications(like cams and headwork) to take advantage of it.
He should be looking at the HSR42 model. It will bolt in on the stock manifold. If he plans on going nutz with an all out performance build, then HSR45 would be the model to get. Be aware you will need the SE CV44 intake manifold to fit the HSR45 carb.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I have been pleased with my HRS 45. I would recommend checking out their web site and tuning guide.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have a HSR 42 on my FXDWG as well.

Works great. Best thing is set it & leave it. No fooling around!

Will be putting a HSR 45 on my FLHX as well.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Love the 42's and 45's. 45's can be a but noisy when the throttle blade rattles in the carb body, but overall LOVE them. You do have to tune them properly though to get the best results.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I had a 42 on my last bike , loved it , have another one waiting to install on my new ride , I've tried re-jetted CV's they are OK , but for me it's Mik all the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts