V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just picked up another fxr and I’m looking for a little bit of clarity. It’s still 80” evo with thunderheader and EV 27 cam. It has a Mikuni 42 on it which is foreign to me. Came from MN to me here in CA so could have been tuned right up there but def not here haha. Runs ok, idle seems to be fine but any hard throttle and wants to die. Crack full throttle and not let go right away it will.
Pulled the main jet and it’s a 160. Two of the bowl screws are stripped so I haven’t been able to open it up to see about everything else. Mixture screw is one turn out, anything more or less and it idles rough or wants to die.
Ignition wise it’s a S&S HI-4N set at mode 5 and advance rate at 9. Coil is the Andrew’s red 3 ohm coil (dual spark I think?)

that’s the details I have now hoping someone can tell me the “typical” killer combo for this set up. The jets and parts aren’t expensive but shipping takes forever so I’d rather order everything and spend an extra $5 ok something I might already have then have to wait another week to order another piece.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok just took the carb apart and I’m going to clean it real good.
found out
Main jet is a 160
pilot jet is a 25
needle is a 97 on the third (middle) clip
needle jet is a 6 series (Y-6)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bringing this back up does 20 pilot and 165 main jet sound right for 80” with ev27 cam and thunderheader at sea level?

noticed I can turn the mix screw out more than 2.5 turns without changing idle which according to the manual means too rich and I could go down.
but off idle if I roll into throttle slowly I will get a small cough in the carb which suggests too lean right?
so how would the same circuit be too lean and too rich

1 - 3 of 3 Posts