V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95ci set up and I am running 10:5:1 Wiesco pistons with Screaming Eagle 258 cams (.569/.569 lift, 258/268 Duration INT/EXT) with Sreaming Eagle Heads and Mikuni 45 carb. My question is where should I start with jetting and needle or what is the best jetting and needle for my set up? I have a hard time going 25 MPH because the engine needs to rev higher to run better at certin speeds. I have gone up on my slow jet from a 22 to a 25 and main from a 170 180 and it seems to run and sound better but I just don't think it sounds right yet. I also getting pinging between 1000 to 2500 rpm if I nail the throttle. Can you guys point me in the right direction befor I take it to a tuner?:huh:

·
You don't say?
422 Posts
Boatswain said:
I have a 95ci set up and I am running 10:5:1 Wiesco pistons with Screaming Eagle 258 cams (.569/.569 lift, 258/268 Duration INT/EXT) with Sreaming Eagle Heads and Mikuni 45 carb. My question is where should I start with jetting and needle or what is the best jetting and needle for my set up? I have a hard time going 25 MPH because the engine needs to rev higher to run better at certin speeds. I have gone up on my slow jet from a 22 to a 25 and main from a 170 180 and it seems to run and sound better but I just don't think it sounds right yet. I also getting pinging between 1000 to 2500 rpm if I nail the throttle. Can you guys point me in the right direction befor I take it to a tuner?:huh:
Definitely take it to a tuner, but install a richer needle or retard your timing to get rid of the pinging.

Mikunis come with a decent tuning quide that will get you close. It's also available on their web site.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Boatswain said:
What type of exhaust do you have. I had a terrible dip in mine at lower rpms until I got away from the V&H and went to the Thunderheader.
I would also recommend getting on the dyno it will end the guessing game.
Check out my set up that is listed in my signature.
Good Luck !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dyno it I will.

I have the Vance and hines pipes but I will get me a set of Thunder Headers when I come back from my last tour (30 years) in Japan. I have found that the bike runs better with a 27.5 slow jet but I do belieave it needs a 96 needle to put me over the top. I found a tuner here in San Diego but he want's $250.00 to dyno tune for one hour. Do you think this is a fair price to pay?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Try L&L motorsports, Louis Burrows 661 944 9043
His dyno is mounted in a trailer and may be around your area,call to check his schedule.He lives in Littlerock,not that far from you.
He dyno'd mine,4 pulls,A/F is a flat line and made a huge difference, for alot less than that. He dyno's alot of race bikes but loves to do Harley's cause they're so much easier to work on.He still dyno's all the F/I bikes for the dealerships around here.Good Guy and knows his shite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts