V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got myself a mik 42 for an early x-mas gift.MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.Anyway,it's xmas eve and I tried to install my new carb,didn't go good.Put a scratch in my tank.And carb didn't fit.I am replacing a SE44 with the mik 42,and the part of the carb that go's into the manifold is to small.I hope that doesn't mean I have to change manifolds.Is there an adapter I can buy?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Not sure if they make a gasket for it or not. I do know the stock manifold works with the 42mm, the 44mm CV carb uses the same manifold as the 45mm Mikuni.

You might need to use a dremel tool on some of the fins on the cylinder heads. My 42mm hit the heads a little.

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
The 44mm CV requires the use of a SE intake manifold due to the larger spigot dia. of the 44mm CV carb. The 42mm Mikuni has a smaller spigot dia. that will require either the Mikuni intake manifold or a stock 40mm CV manifold.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Yup. Stock manifold.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Oem has the proper sized O Ring Gasket, I picked up the SE Intake part# 29635-99 which will take the 42 or the 44. In the kit is 2 spigot gaskets one is brown for the 42 & the other is grey for the 44 or 45.

Heres a link to show the kit ... http://hdpdf2.site88.net/screamineagle/screamin eagle manifold kit.pdf

I cant see why the brown gasket o ring isn't available by itself. Part# for the brown one is 27642-00

Dare

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
I think you need the brown adapter ring/gasket to install your 42 in place of the 44mm SE carb. The intake manifold is the same size as the one rollmeaway sent you in the link. Are you running a stock motor? 96? 88? If so then yes...the 44mm carb would be a little big IMO and the 42mm will run better over all. When it comes to carbs...bigger is not always better. When I installed my first mikuni I had to take a die grinder and clearance the cooling fins on the cylinders were the lower corners and edges of the mikuni carb hit them. The mikuni is not a "plug and play" type of set up. You'll need to make it fit. I have one of the brown rings for the carb laying around in my little shop. PM me if you want it . You might try your local shop or dealer first though. Good luck.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rollmeaway,thats what I'm thinking if I can just get that other o ring.Cause I believe I already have the SE big bore manifold.I will check with my local HD dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
I hope it all works out for ya Chance ... nice jesture of 2 Wheels to offer ya a poke at the brown one. The die grinder makes for a pro-looking job as well, take your time & shape them symetrical & it's not even noticable.

The only brown one I got to offer ya is a 5.5 .... :beer: cheers

Merry Christmas

Dare

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought the brown adapter gasket today at HD dealer,$26.00 +tax.That mik 42 will work fine with that bigger intake manifold right? I didn't need the stock manifold.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there anything wrong with using the bigger manifold and just the adapter to fit the mik 42.Will I lose velocity with the bigger manifold?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts