V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this seems like an unusual question, but does anyone know if touring models can be converted to mid controls. I have a back condition that doesn't allow me to ride with forward controls or even floorboards. Since all of the touring models come with floorboards, I am limited to the Dyna line. I have a Superglide Custom and really like it, but would like to move up to a touring model. I have searched for conversion kits but couldn't find any. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Think it would require custom fabrication, probably welding some brackets to the frame or something. Also, if you notice... shifter goes through primary on your Dyna. Would have to do something there as well.

My guess is... stick with the Dyna.

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Dyna's not a bad choice

My old scoot was a FXDLI I had a windshield and soft bags on it and it was a great ride. Dyna's share the same engine and now with the 6 speed have a better tranny than the touring models. Mid controls drive me crazy but if that's what your limited to a Dyna is a great choice.

My .02, good luck!

·
Registered
404 Posts
You'll need to weld a Foot peg bracket to each lower frame rail, and then determine if Dyna or FXR based mid cotrol brackets will give you the clearance and positioning needed.

The outer primary cover will need a center panel with the proper hole and seal in it to pass the splined shifter shaft through, you might be able to get a Dyna one to fit or you'll need to machine a stock FLHT one..

The inner primary wil need to be machined for a hole with a proper seal put in as well to pass the splined shaft through, since there is no stock inner FLHT primary that has it.

From there you'll need to fabricate the shifter linkage from the shifter shaft to the shiter arm on the tranny. That will be easy, since there are lots of aftermarket pieces readily available for that.

On the Brake side, there are mid control Brake Brackets made for softails that bolt to the outer tranny cover and the engine point cover. You'll need to machine an existing one to fit, or build one similar to it. This will allow you then to mount a rear brake resiviour and pivot point for the rear brake pedal. Also, you should be able to leverage the stock rear brake switch to work with the custom setup or get and aftermarket switch to wire it in.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it is doable. Or you could go the other way and build the SuperGlide into a version of a FLHT. That will cost a hell of a lot more, but would alow you to keep the bike you have now and leverage the ergonimics you have going for you now that work for your back.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys. Sounds like I will just keep what I have, I put over 16,000 miles on it this year. Maybe I'll add just a few more goodies..................

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.