V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1997 FXDL with Mid controls. As things would have it, gear foot shift lever and/or the stud where foot lever is connected rounded out in the middle of a ride, such that the lever will not "bite" into the stud for me to be able to change gears.

I am bit sure that both the stud and the foot lever rounded out, cause I can not feel the gearing or teeth on the stud and the lever.

while it would be pretty easy to replace the lever, i am completely stumped on how to replace the stud. The option is, of course, to have the thing machined, but i was thinking of just having the thing replaced for reliability. I looked at the Dyna parts catalog if i have to replac the shift lever (part no. 35621-90) or if i have to replace some other item.

i live in the philippines, and there is no dealer here who has available parts.

thanks....

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
If you haven't removed the shift lever yet and actually visually inspected the shaft, you need to do so. Remove the screw/bolt where it goes through on the bottom of the lever. You must remove it completely before the lever will come off the splined shaft as the shaft has a groove in it that the bolt sits in to prevent the lever from falling all the way off.
You may get lucky and find that only the shift lever, made of relatively cheap cast aluminum, is missing the splines. The shaft is steel (at least I'm pretty sure it is). If the lever loosened up and you kept shifting the shaft would clean those splines on the lever just like a file would.

I'm assuming your basic set-up is the same as my '95 wideglide, although I have forward controls..materials and basics are the same. It is a VERY EASY job to replace your shift lever. If you do remove it and find that the splines are good on the shaft,
-go get a new lever (in your case I guess order one)
-clean the splines on the shaft really good
-remove the bolt completely on the new lever
-slide the new lever on at a clock angle that looks good
-install the clamping/retention bolt
-see how it feels....remove bolt completely and reclock if necessary
-apply blue loctite to bolt when you are satisfied with position (don't apply it all over the threads...just a good little blob about 2 threads up from the starter thread will do)

Someone jump in and tell DynaLow97 if I missed something please. When it comes to changing the splined shaft......the manual is the way to go.

Good luck, maybe you'll luck out on this one. p.s. My wife and I are talking about coming for a visit in Cebu in '07.

Semper Fi,
Steve.....Pensacola
USMC 1972 -2003

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gearing on the shaft also gone.....darn. shift lever rounded out also.

anyways, guess i will just have the tip machined.

good luck on your trip.... im from manila, but i know cebu is pretty fun place. you might want to try boracay and palawan.

thanks for the assist steve =)

dynalow97/monch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts