V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got ready for vacation and put a new Michelin Tour79 on the back of the Ultra and headed out. 3000 km later the tire was worn out. I was really pissed off. The only reason I put the Michelin on in the first place is that it was the only one the shop had that would fit the bike. I called a Harley dealer and he said the Michelins are notorious for wearing out fast, but he thought I should have gotten a bit more wear than that. The tire pressure was OK. Anyway I relaced it with a Metzler and will see how that goes.
I will never buy a Michelin again. Just wanted to let you guys know of my experience in case you are thinking of buying one of these pieces of crap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having worked in R&D for almost 10 years at Michelin, I can honestly tell you there is no company in the world any more committed to making quality products. I don't work for them now, and havent in quite a while, so there's nothing in this for me. I would suggest that you go to the dealer who sold you the tire, or any Michelin dealer, and tell them you want to contact a Tech Rep to find out why this tire you were sold for highway use was gone after 1800 miles. I doubt you were doing burnouts on an Ultra. Michelin does stand behind their products, and I can assure you they will go further to keep a customer satisfied than anyone associated with the motor company ever will.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm no expert...But the compound may have been too soft. The tires that I used on my sporty were only good for 5,000 @ best..compound was soft for performance...My Dyna tire lasted 10,000...harder compound but you sacrifice in the turns a bit...
Just replaced stock tire @ 10,300 with the Metzeler 880's ...We will see...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back for an update on the situation. I contacted Michelin and the rep for this area called me. I explained the situation to him and he said to contact the dealer as that tire is not recommended for a Harley. He said that the Harley was too heavy for it. I contacted the dealer and Duh!!!!
I got in contact with the Michelin rep again and told him that I was not happy with the situation and that I wanted a new tire. He said that it is the dealer's responsability since that tire is not recommended for a Harley, they should not have put it on. I told him it was not up to me to decide who is at fault, it was a Michelin tire and they should do something about it.
A couple days later I got a call from the Michelin rep and he said they are willing to make it right. They will provide me with one of their newer crusader tires and have it installed and balanced at no charge to me, except for the difference between the cost of the two tires. This amounts to $60. I can live with this decision. And that's $60 CAN, so what's that about $3.75 US?
metlmunchr, you were right, they do stand behind their products and I feel I was treated fairly by them.
Originally when this happened, I had said that I would never buy another Michelin product again, but after the service I received, I have changed my mind and would buy their tires again. Where else can you get this kind of service?
Hey! S*** happens, but at least they were willing to make it right.

·
Banned
999 Posts
I currently have a michelin commander on rear axle of Sybil and it is hold ing up up well. still has some tread at 7500 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts