V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have no experience with 880's on a Dresser yet. I have owned and riden a 86 Heritage Softail for 160,000 miles with Metzlers for at least 100,000 of those miles. My opinion and only my opinion they beat the Dunlops hands down. Have not run anything new than the 402's though. Bought a new Ultra Classic in 11/07 and when I wear out these Dunlops I will be putting on Metzlers. Everyone likes their own tire according to their riding style and mileage to me takes a second seat to handling. Buy what you like and not what your buddy does - he does not ride your bike.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've posted this question on three different forums thus far. Not one FLHTCI owner has piped up. All the responses have been positive but for bike 1/3 lighter than my semi. I'm looking for milage,

·
Registered
13,060 Posts
Metzlers do not wear well, you will be lucky to get 7-8 k on them. you also have to check the load rating, i know that they fall short with the 16 150s, theyor not for two up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I got about the same mileage out of the Dunlops as the Metzelers. The Metzelers are a far superior tire for handling. I had an 04 FLHTC and changed the back tire every 8k and front every 16K. When you make the switch you will notice a difference immediately. I recommend them over Dunlop everytime

·
Forgetter of Things
2,651 Posts
Dunlop Elite 3's...

same characteristics as the 880's...but longer life...a friend got over 12k on his rear tire...

jus' sayin'...

·
Registered
13,060 Posts
I like Avon tires. Metzler motorcycle tires are not manufactured in Germany anymore. Ther have been sizing problems in some casings and are made in Brazil.

·
<><
3,961 Posts
Dunlop Elite 3's...

same characteristics as the 880's...but longer life...a friend got over 12k on his rear tire...

jus' sayin'...

I'm really enjoying my E3's. Haven't replaced a set yet, but the way they handle (to my taste, superior in every way to the metz) I'll stay with them regardless of wear mileage.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I have the 880's on my Road Glide, still not as heavy as your bike but the mileage is less than the 402's. I got 12,000 out of the 402's, 10,000 out of the 880's. The handling is better with the 880's in my opinion.
A friend of mine has the E3's on his RG and he is now at 16,500, but he does ride and brake very easy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've got about 10,000 on a set of 880s. The rear still has some left, I expect it'll go 12,000 easy, and will replace with another 880. I thought they were WAY better than the stockers.
They need more air pressure than Dunlops. I would bet a lot of folks getting sub-standard mileage out of them have them under inflated. Go by Metzeler's recommendation, not what's in the HD manual.

Oh, '00 FLHT with tour pak, so pretty darn close to your FLHTCI.

·
Seasoned,Retired Rider
234 Posts
tires

I have about 10,000 miles on my METZLERS and they look like there's another 8-10,000 miles on them but thats just a guess,I got 12,000 out of the front dunlop and about 6,000 out of each rear dunlop,I always got better wear,ride and handling out of metzlers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ride an 02 road glide. I have a tour pack and lowers, so set up pretty much like an ultra. I have about 118k on bike so I will consider myself somewhat of an expert using these two brands of tires. About 70k on metz and the rest on dunlops. I get about 12k on dunlops and 7k on metz. As you can see I ride alot and having to replace the metz so often was getting too expensive. I also found that even thou the metz handled better when new became no better than the dunlop after they had about half wear on them. Many of my trips are many thousands of miles and I don't always start on a brand new tire and if I need to replace on the road I can always get a dunlop. Alot of dealers don't carry the metz and I don't want to mix and match especially if I'm far from home. Hope this helps.

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,007 Posts
I just replaced the front with an OEM Dunlop tire on the front of my FLHTI. The rear will be replaced in about another 3-4k miles. Can I put an E3 on the rear, with the OEM tire on front? I wonder if having two different tires will affect the handling of the bike.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I am on my third metz 880 on the rear of my ultra. still on the first front. I got about 8500 miles on the rear before changing to get more rubber on the road for the wet season. My original were german made my 2nd replacement on the rear was made in brazil I got about 4500 miles out of it before problems with it . I thought it was a fluke so I bought a 3rd metz for the rear and to find that all three moco dealers in my location quit selling metz tires because of problems after the brasilizn tires were brought in. Metz would not stand behind the tires. The reported problems was poor tread life and delamination of the tread from the casing. I noticed in the wet weather of the northwest I can feel the front tire slip on me when turning at moderate speeds quite unnerving. I have a set of michlin commanders to put on before I get started again.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I just replaced a Dunlop Elite 3 on the rear of my EG. Had 14,000 miles on it and the tread was not quite down to the wear bars yet. Mostly 2 up riding and about a 1/3 of that pulling a trailer.

Nixdad,

No problem at all running the E3 on the rear with a 402 on the front.

·
Registered
4 Posts
M880

I ride a 2005 road king Classic and the stock Dunlops gave me 15,000 miles. Everyone told me the Metzlers would only get me 8-10,000. I now have 16,000 on them and plan on changing them in about 2500 miles. People have been talking very positively about the new Michelin Commanders. Anyone have any feedback?????????

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I love my Metzlers and wouldn't even think of going back to Dunlops..
Has anyone tried the new HD approved Michelin commander tires ?

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Metz. 880 vs Dunlop 402

I put many of both kinds of tires on FL's of all model years. From the feed back I get from my customers, here at my shop. I'd say the Metzlers 880's seem to handle a little better then the Dunlop Elite 2's. But the Dunlop E2's wear slightly better. ('04' FL's to present model yr rear tires are 10mm wider, and seem to wear better, then '03' FL's and older) Just by a couple thousand miles. Metzler 880's rear go 8 to 10K vs Donlop E2's rear going 10 to 12K. This is not a offcial fact based statment though, just a gut observation.

I use Dunlop Touring Elite 3's on my personal bike. I like the handling in all conditions, and the milage I get out of them. I feel they are a big improvment over the OEM Dunlop E2's. But I can't compare them to the Metzlers because I never used Metzlers personally.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Try riding on grooved pavement or a draw bridge grating with the Dunlops and then on Metzlers....You will soon forget about the Dunlops, they wobble all over the place and the Metzlers are smooth as glass

1 - 20 of 65 Posts