V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am currently running the 880 on my Garbage Barge... Great tire, great traction on the wet stuff, not as good of mileage as a D-Lop 491, but I really like the feel... They are a very sticky tire as compared to the Lops...

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Used them when I lived in OR and MT, and the ME88's before that, they handle exceptionally well in the rain.

They do handle different though, not so much better or worse, just different as they have a more rounded cross section. They do have softer sidewalls so you generally would run more pressure in them. If you up the pressure they last roughly the same as Dunlops.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I love them, and used to get 10,000 on my donlops. I now have 13,000 miles on my 880's and still have some life left. Not quite as sticky near the end(weather is colder could be that ).

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm looking at going to an 880 from my first rear tire change. Do I need to change the front tire too? I have 9,000 on my original Dunlop with plenty still left.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
While it might be OK to run different makes on the front and rear if you ride pretty conservative, I change them in pairs. The thread cross sections on the front and rear are matched and I don't want to be the one finding out what happens when you are habnging in by the last percentage point wether it is playing or an emergency.
The bikes you ride with a 880 in rear and a 402 in front feel a lot like a bike with 402's where the rear is really squared off.

·
Banned
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HIPPO said:
While it might be OK to run different makes on the front and rear if you ride pretty conservative, I change them in pairs.

Hippo, I got Avons on the unnamed bike, this question pertains to Sybil. just thinking about trying another brand in the long term tire test project I have been running. yes, Sybil has mismatched set of tires, conti on the front and a Michelin on the back. I'm beginning to think its not a good idea to mismatch em but since I buy at least three rear tires a year for Sybil it gets expensive to chuck a perfectly good front tire just because I buy a different brand of rear.

Michelin Commander is on rear, tire wore pretty good considering it was maybe 90 bux,I think it has 11k miles on it and still has some tread,just starting to square off.

Conti tours are o.k for the price but it was rare for me to get 10k out a rear.

seems about same for Dunlop touring elites as the conti's, about 9 or 10 k and they are shot,plumb worn out.

Avons Venom X are pretty good, quiet too! more than 10k miles on set on new bike,still in good shape.

since I need two this time, I might try the metzelers,figure I mite get another thousand or so out of whats on the Sybil's ass end ,which at my current rate of riding will be about a week and a half from now.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I'm sure you'll like them.
I have the same problem in a way. Wouldn't mind having the 880's for winter but prefer the Dunlops in the extreme heat we have here most of the year, and I'm just too lazy to change from winter to summer tires.
Forced into a choice I use the Dunlops, not because I think that they are better, but because I always have had real good luck with them despite some abuse.
It almost seems like the softer compound tires tend to get more punctures.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
As far as the Avon's I know there are a bunch of people that like them, and they are probably right. I just have a problem making the mental leap of using any serious consumer good of a technical nature made in England.

·
Banned
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hippo, England was the home of the Industrial Revolution.
How could you say something like that? LOL! (lucas,Triumph,Austin Healey, etc..)

·
Banned
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hippo surprised me about Michelin Commander was that they are made in SPAIN. I didn't think the Spanish made anything but wine and double barreled shotguns.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You would be surprised, they are into motorcycle racing like americans are into Nascar, and have all sorts of little related cottage industries that are pretty good at what they do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
SIDEKICK said:
Hippo surprised me about Michelin Commander was that they are made in SPAIN. I didn't think the Spanish made anything but wine and double barreled shotguns.
We have also great Fiestas like Sanfermines for example:D

I live in Pamplona,100 kms far from Michelin plant here in the north of Spain,it's a pretty industrial region...but as you know it's french technology:)

It's a matter of build costs,perhaps the same as Dunlops D402,I think they are made in Mexico,aren't they?

Best Regards

·
Registered
8 Posts
Currently runnning them on my 00 RK, only 100 miles on 'em so can't really say about mileage. Was riding on AVON AENOM X and really liked them, only reason for change was trying to locate a handeling problem that was suppositively wheel related. H ate the Dunlooops, no mileage and handeling disipated after 5,000 miles on'em. Will never go back.

·
Registered
232 Posts
@ 10,500 I changed from the H-D stock Dunlops to the Metzler 880's..I like em, and probly may get more mileage...But definitely a different ride than the Dunlops, only got a chance to put on 600 miles or so since then...So far so good...You can find the M880's on the net for pretty good prices..
H-D dealer refused to mount em...So..I went to the Suzy dealer

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Hd dealer refused to mount them...................what an a$$ !! Find another dealer, call customer service and complain !!!

·
Banned
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thealien said:
Hd dealer refused to mount them...................what an a$$ !! Find another dealer, call customer service and complain !!!

probably wont find a lot of support from the MOCO on this one. think about it, you bring in a part that the dealer didn't sell you, you want it installed and he turned you away. where's the gripe?

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I don't buy chevy or ford tires, I know dunlops are the recomended tire for HD. My dealer has no problem putting on any tire I want whether I bought them there or not !!! The tires have to be DOT aproved and installed properly I don't see how they could refuse you. You're right, might not get much satisfaction from customer service but I would still make the complaint(same sh!t as have to use HD oil, no you don't) !!! Maybe my dealer does what I want because he doesn't want to argue with me, you seem yo be the only one who wants to lately!!!

I wonder if he bought it there if they would install it, to me it sounded like he wouldn't either way. I'm the customer and I'm right dammit !!!! ;)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts