V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the thread about Metzeler vs Dunlop, this question came to mind.

I'll be needing new tires for the Road King soon and wonder about your opinions between ME880 vs Venom X?

TIA..

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
From my experiance in the past, both are really good tires. I have both on my 02 fatboy the avons handled great in all conditions but wore out early, getting only 6k on the rear tire. I put on metzlers and never looked back. i sold the bike with about 8k on those tires and there was still plenty of life left in them. I have sinced got my new 05 flhtc and remebered how much I hate the Dunlops. I took them off at 2000 miles and went to a 150 metz in the rear. I have lots of tar snakes and rain grooves in the area, and there great. I think that the mezt's are the way to go. www.ronayers.com where i get all my tires..thanks

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I will post up in favor of the Avon Venom X - even though I have never ridden on Metzler tires, which I hear are fine. I swapped out the OEM Dunlops for the Avons: the difference was immediately apparent -- better handling, better cornering, better leaning, smoother movement, and an extradorinary reduction in the effect of groved pavement (the Dunlops walked all over the groves; the Avons simply do not notice them). All this said, others may steer you to the Metzlers, and I have nothing negative to say about those tires. But I do know the Avons are great!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Both are great tires. I've tried Metz 880's and although they are very good tires, I lean on the Avon’s side. Take always in mind that Avon’s like pressure, and normally run on the 42- 48 psi. Many people tend to run them on the same pressure (very low for the Avon's) as the OEM Dunlops, and it usually ends in excessive tire temperature and premature wear. Always look on the side wall for the specific load, temperature and air pressure.

Ride hard,

Tacho

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your thoughts gents...

I appreciate the links too!

I've been leaning toward Avons, but have to give up the white side walls, which look good on my bike. I have it set up in a very classic fashion.

I'll have to think on it a bit.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I switched from a ME 880 to a venom X up front this time , have about 3K , they are very comparable in all ways , both great.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I agree with TachoG about the Avons liking pressure. Go by the tire manufacturer's pressure recommendation rather than your service manual. I run 40lbs in the front and 48 in the rear on my Avon's. Only bad experience I have had is on my last set of Avon's I couldn't get the front tire to seal properly around the rim. I remounted the tire three times each time cleaning the rim and bead of the tire. It was a slow leak and would leak down about 10lbs overnight. Out of frustration I put some green tire/bead sealant from Napa in the tire and haven't had a problem since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts