V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few dasy ago i had to heli-coil a head bolt. it was striped out in the case. anyway, when i was drilling it out i used my shop vac to suck the chips and put grease on the tap. i thought the hole had a bottom but it was the flywheel i was looking at through the hole. now im pretty sure i removed all the chips. i ran a 3/8ths hose off my vac and put down in the case, also turned the motor over a bunch of times and vacuumed inside the cases again. ive put 60 miles on the motor and sounds and runs great. my worry now is if there is still a few metal chips in the case what will happen to them, are they going to get into my oil pump and destroy my engine. is there any provisions built into the oil pump to keep metal shavings from getting into it. any thoughts on this problem, it has me worried that im going to be riding my bike and boom, there she goes. i have a 1990 fxstc, thanks

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Your 60 miles and a start too late in worrying about it now. Ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats kinda of what i figured. could have a problem next time i start it or 10,000 miles from, or never. oh well i guess ill see how lucky im am.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah. thats what im doing. friend of my next door neighbor had his head bolt stud fixed in a shop near here. picked up his bike and got about 50 miles, then a lot of noise and the oil light came on. got it home and found all kinds of metal shavings in the case, of course they didnt do anything wrong. its pretty bad here, mohave valley arizon, if you can do the work yourself you should. after all, if something goes wrong you have no one to blame but yourself, and it didnt cost five times as much. as the saying goes, i can screw it up as much as they can, and its cheaper. i figure if the motor gives me any problem down the road ill get a set of S&S cases and rebuild it myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts