V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Ultra Classic. I'm looking for suggestions on how to remove the fork lock/ignition switch that I seem to have installed incorrectly. This is where i'm at: the front wheel is locked in the full left position. the switch is pushed down as if it where locked. I cannot turn the key to the unlock position. when i push up on the pin under the switch i can turn the key counter clockwise and am then able to rotate the switch but haven't been able to pull it out. rotating the switch does not unlock the fork or turn on any of the electrical circuits. Any suggestions??

thanks in advance.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
You need to pull the switch back out and start over. Put the key in the switch and turn it to the left while pushing up on the little pin underneath. Once you get the switch out, look down in the hole and make sure you have all the little gears lined up correctly. They have hour glass shapes and all need to be turned correctly so the switch fits down in there properly. I went through this the first time i pulled the switch out. It took me about an hour of swearing to figure it out.

·
Sniper
1,659 Posts
I pulled this boner too the first time I pulled the switch out a couple years ago, I went to my favorite local Harley shop and borrowed the special tool they have to fix this. Got them all lined up and took the tool back. I'm planning on makin that nifty home made one out of copper tubing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for posting this video. it was a great help understanding how the system works and what i did to screw it up. i had forced the switch down onto the stem so i had to pry it back off. once i got i off i was able to line things up properly and it went together smooth as silk.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
haha that tool is the savior. I have screwed with mine I'll bet an hour trying to get that crap all ligned up in there again.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Whats the approximate dimesnions of that tool, I dont have a bagger myself but do work on others bikes. I think I have some scrap pieces of copper out in the garage, What size pipe how long does the piece need to be that goes into the cylinder

·
Registered
810 Posts
just look at the switch and try to duplicate the rough dimensions. Something like 3 1/4 " long, and 1/2" wide ? Some manage with a screwdriver..... good luck

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts

·
Sniper
1,659 Posts
If anyone has made this tool out of a piece of copper tubing or whatever, please post the dimensions, I'm sure many here would appreciate it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just messed up reinstalling my on a 07 Ultra. I had to pry it back out and used a big flat blade screw driver to re align things back up.

·
Registered
2004 H-D Ultra Classic
2 Posts
Just messed up reinstalling my on a 07 Ultra. I had to pry it back out and used a big flat blade screw driver to re align things back up.
Your 07 Ultra is the closest to mine, which is an 04 Ultra. I'm having a devil of a time to get it to work. The video above has a different ignition switch than mine - the throat of the switch is larger than mine; photograph attached. I bought a tool off of ebay that said it would fit an 04. Not so much. The throat is 5/16". In the video the tool he used was said to be 1/2". The ebay tool I bought is 7/16". So, my question is, which one do you have. If it's the smaller throat, like mine, I'd like to pick your brain to help me figure out how to get this bugger back in.

·
Registered
2004 H-D Ultra Classic
2 Posts
Your 07 Ultra is the closest to mine, which is an 04 Ultra. I'm having a devil of a time to get it to work. The video above has a different ignition switch than mine - the throat of the switch is larger than mine; photograph attached. I bought a tool off of ebay that said it would fit an 04. Not so much. The throat is 5/16". In the video the tool he used was said to be 1/2". The ebay tool I bought is 7/16". So, my question is, which one do you have. If it's the smaller throat, like mine, I'd like to pick your brain to help me figure out how to get this bugger back in. View attachment 267083

1 - 17 of 17 Posts