·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
From the Article:
"Then you have a very important individual decision to make. We all do. No one expects everyone to change out their straight pipes overnight. But we all must consider changing out our thinking. We need to think about the consequences our actions have on others, before others take action against us. As tempting as it is, maybe we resist cranking up the revs at the next stop signal. Maybe we fall in love all over again with the unique and mesmerizing sound "quality" of our own V-twin, not just the volume. Maybe we think about how we can assure that all those riders coming behind us can enjoy the same level of freedom we do today. Maybe we just take a time-out to remember that this is really something. And it's something we never want to lose."

Maybe HD makes an engine that sounds like a quality piece of engineering rather than one rife with wierd chirps, clicks, cracks, etc. so that I don't have to drown them out with my Rineharts.

I do, however, find myself being more respectful in urban areas, neighborhoods, at intersections etc.; reserving my romp for the hills. Of course, then the tree huggers will be after me for endangering the mating habits of the rare and endangered whogivesafukcausethereisonlyoneleftanyway crabweed that only exists at mile marker 43 out ol' highway 47.

Just leave me the fukkk alone. I already produce less polutants, use less fossil fuel, and consume less space on the roads than any other vehicle that I share them with. Go pick on John Kerry whose family uses more and pollutes more in one trip than I cause in a year.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
8-Ball said:
From the Article:
I do, however, find myself being more respectful in urban areas, neighborhoods, at intersections etc.; reserving my romp for the hills. Of course, then the tree huggers will be after me for endangering the mating habits of the rare and endangered whogivesafukcausethereisonlyoneleftanyway crabweed that only exists at mile marker 43 out ol' highway 47.
Now, that's funny, I don't care who you are.:clap: :clap: :Banadance :wootdnc: :bleh: :hystria: :banana:

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Sounds like a cop out and a give in to conformity.

How many more freedoms must people loose before more people will start to fight for the choices that are being taken away?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Didn't read the whole thing. But my common answer is, you have the right to extend your arm, until it strikes somebody. Paraphrased from early English/American writer on freedon.

I think lots of people get to wound up,and start whining and passing laws. But I also think we do not have the right to effectg anybody elses freedom. Are we not about freedom?

My thoughts are if we don't regulate ourselves, the government will. I am very anti government, more so then most of the loud pipes folks.

In a perfect world people with loud pipes would not run them early or late in the day and would lay off around other people. That won't happen, its the nature of the beast. If you think we will do the right thing on our own, you need a lesson in people.

So it will cme down to who is really ready to stand against the man, and risk it, and who "loud pipes saves lives".

Most will choose stickers.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Fatb0y said:
Sounds like a cop out and a give in to conformity.

How many more freedoms must people loose before more people will start to fight for the choices that are being taken away?
Your freedom only exists until it interferes with others freedom. I lived behind a bar. You could say my own dumb fault. But I would seriouly wish drunken death upon those guys reving there motors at 2am. I am not kidding I would wake up, and take some small comfort there was chance this drunken idiot would kill himself on the way home. I am serious. Think I am jerk, try getting up 2am.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I love the term, "Your rights end where mine begin."

Once again this is conformity.

BTW.

Was the bar there before you moved in? If so, you have no right to complain. That is like people that move in beside an interstate or a landing strip and complain about the noise :whatever:.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Fatb0y said:

BTW.

Was the bar there before you moved in? If so, you have no right to complain. That is like people that move in beside an interstate or a landing strip and complain about the noise :whatever:.
So what about the people who were there before the bar or airport came along? Even if the bar was there first if they are violating local noise ordinances he has a right to complain. Just because I was there first dosen't mean my neighbor can't complain if I have a band practice in my garage at 2 am. You can go on all you want about loud pipes saving lives or not or which sounds better or who has the right to do what, but if we don't exercise some restraint now then it is you who will have no right to complain later.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Fatb0y said:

BTW.

IGNORANT! That is not conformity, its consideration for someone other than yourself!:duh?:

With an airport or an interstate, you are guaranteed a certain level of noise as a result of NORMAL operation....The dickkhead revving his bike up and doing burnouts after bar close is not a NORMAL repercussion of living in a bar neighborhood. If it were, all bars would initially be built outside of town like airports (before the city grows out and swallows them up).

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
I've always looked at the condition of your pipes and your attitude as two separate issues.

I have now ridden for 40 years. In some way or another, I have had modified pipes on every Harley (including the one I ride now) and I have never gotten a traffic ticket for noise.

I live in an upscale suburban community now. Half of the people who live here don't even know I have a motorcycle. How can this happen?

Well, I don't bang off the first three gears leaving my house.

If I'm working on my bike or cleaning it late into the evening, I don't sit and rev the engine like a baboon until the header pipe turns red.

In 1971 I ran complete straight pipes (absolutely no baffles) on a tricked out shovel with solid lifters and a Sifton cam.

At 4:00AM every Monday morning after a weekend with my club, I took the Interstate I-90 back to Milwaukee. I was pretty much the only vehicle out there on an open road.

The only thing at that time between Madison and Milwaukee was the Gobbler Restaurant, and I passed several State Patrol cars on every trip.

No noise tickets, ever. None. Nada. Zilch.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
He's warning us of the decibel police. how many times have you heard, I want straight pipes to set off car alarms, I don't care about how the bike runs I just want the loudest pipes I can find. I have changed my pipes, but not to abnoxiously loud ones just better breathing pipes. not the best breathing pipes because I couldn't stand the louder ones I had on it before these. I've riden with a guy with drag pipes that bleeps his throttle in every small town near everyone that he wants to piss off, those are the people who are bringing the decibel police, they are coming and that's what we are being warned about.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If you can get a copy of the Winter Enthusiast it has an article in it which tells about loud "open mufflers" in the 1930's and makes reference to the "silent Grey Fellow"- not GrayRider- and explains the situation of loud pipes as it was then and is now. The main theme is respect.
I have a guy that lives a street away from me that revs the fukk out of his harley at every corner at all hours, usually after midnight and i pray that he blows up his engine.
It's simple, just have some consideration for your neighbours and others.

Berserker- you make alot of sense on this thread.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Motorcycles put out more pollutants than cars on a per capita basis. They represent 2% of vehicles, and put out 15% of pollutants. Another 'freedom' I suppose EPA will take away. My god, I miss the good old days of smoke-spewing, neighbor-waking biking, when a man could smash his brains out on the pavement in a 10 MPH spill and expect his taxpayer friends to pick up the tab. It is sad to see these freedoms go.

8-Ball said:
Just leave me the fukkk alone. I already produce less polutants, use less fossil fuel, and consume less space on the roads than any other vehicle that I share them with. Go pick on John Kerry whose family uses more and pollutes more in one trip than I cause in a year.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Fatb0y said:

BTW.

So in the interest of not conforming, it would be OK for me to knock you off your bike if you rapped out your pipes next to me at a light?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
HDwidetireman said:
Give me a break. I like my pipes loud so the cars next to me hear me. We get cut off enough as it is.
as the decibel police are writing you a ticket and your on cops for the next 20 years repeat that to the cameras. I like watching cops and seeing stuff like that.

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
If you think loud pipes will save your life from the soccer mom talking on the cellphone in the deluxe SUV complete with soundproofing package, with the radio playing while the kids in the backseat are screaming over who gets to hold the remote control while the DVD player is playing Bambi II with the volume set at 11, you, sir, are .... very optimistic.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Oh, I see we had someone not posting facts but total opinion. A minority of vehicles putting out almost 1/4 of the pollutants. That is absolute BS. FACT Bikes are not ridden all the time. FACT When ridden bikes get on average 2 to 3 times the amount of gas mileage of a normal car (LESS POLLUTION DUH). FACT. You must not read facts to quote such crap.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I did a search and found state laws, within this it has maximum sound levels. yes they don't enforce this yet, but we have been given the heads up.

here's Michigans.

Maximum Sound Level Maximum allowable A-weighed sound levels as measured from 50 feet (Sec. 257.707c): 86dBA at speed over 35mph; 82dBA at speed less than 35mph; 95dBA under stationary run-up test at 75 inches.

here's the link.
http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

1 - 20 of 62 Posts