V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had a special memory of someone that influenced them in the direction of Harley's. I've owned bikes since I was 15 and I have had quite a few. Not till a couple of yrs ago did I purchase an Ultra Classic, my first Harley. But, I remember my Grandfather rode a Harley. when I was young I looked forward to going for visit because I knew he would make sure I got a couple of rides during the stay. He used to ride Indian Chief's then finally a harley. His last one he purchased in 1965 in Abilene,Tx I believe off the showroom floor. He and my Granmother took a couple of trips to California on the machine. I think he purchased that one because it was the first year of electric start or at least the first for him. I was in Lafeyette, Indiana this year visiting the wife's folks and the dealer there had a 1964 in their showroom. I took several pics. It brought back memories of my Grandfather and his Harley. I often wondered, if he had been around in my teen yrs if I would have had a harley a lot earlier in life. We sure shared the same passion of two wheels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Back in 07' I was looking for a different bike. Was looking for a Honda Valkyrie, At the time about 7to 8K$. Wife was the one that said if your going to get another one it's going to be a Harley. I said it's more than twice the money, but she didn't care.
So I bought a new Low Rider. Nice bike but after a few years the wife wanted comfort. Then in 10' came the Ultra Classic. Well, after that I found I wanted a little more power and some accessories. Well last year I bought the Ultra Limited. Now I'm satisfied and so is she.

·
No work, all play
109 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had a special memory of someone that influenced them in the direction of Harley's.
My kid brother and I were at a family wedding in massachusetts. He gave me hell for crashing my Ducati and told me I should be riding a Harley. He encouraged me to fly to Florida and test ride his.

The following month I flew down for a visit. I rode his bike for a couple of days and loved everything about it. A couple of months later he sold me that bike.

He converted me into a Harley fan and owner. That bike is very special to me because it was his. I've made some changes to it over the past few years and he's always happy to know what's going on with the bike.

Oz

·
Registered
292 Posts
Back in 1990 i went to Sturgis for the 50th , i meet some people camping next to me at Glencoe, I was riding a Triumph hardtail chopper, these guys were so cool & influnced me so much i ended up getting many harleys thru the years & they have become close friends,, some i miss alot as they have passed on, its hard sometimes thinking back at the good times we had,, it brings tears to my eyes.. i just lost another friend last month.. lifes tough sometimes,, But there are alot of good times to be had still,, i just turned 52 & am in pretty good shape, so im hoping for another 20 years of riding my HD.. it just would not be the same riding a Honda :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I was 10 yrs. ('67) of age I got a ride on a Panhead chopper, that my buddies dad's friend owned. It was gold metal flake, had a king/queen seat and a springer front end. I knew then and there that someday I would have one. I got my 1st bike in `70, 1st real HD in `82 (had a italian HD in the early 70`s) and have had at least one at all times since.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
when i had my triumph i rode alot with two guys who had hd's, day rides,
some weekend trips. i mostly rode behind them so i could pull up close to
dales chopped shovel ( on straight stretches) and listen to his open pipes
all day.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Imagine a little 7 year old boy straddling the tank in front of his big brother on a Harley K model in 1959. Hands on the handle bar mounts rolling down a farm road in southern Arizona. That's when I was bit by the motorcycle bug and permanently infected. This May I'll turn 60 and I'll celebrate on my 1998 Road King - 44 years of riding motors!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
The chief of police in Hannibal, Missouri took me for a ride on a police Harley when I was five in 1948. I still remember clearly the ride and the side hand shift and rocker-type foot clutch. He committed suicide about a year later (don't think it had anything to do with taking me for a ride, though). Was always mesmerized by motorcycles after that ride....

·
Registered
42 Posts
back in the mid fifties, my buddy and I went together and bought a 1948 model 61 cubic inch ..oil leaking tank shift
we worked on that bike a lot more than we rode it ..

then in 1962 , I rode a panhead 74 from pennsacola Fl to Jacksonville Fl..and back
worked on it all the way pushrods kept coming loose , oil everywhere, had to throw my clothes away (full of oil)..
( where do you think black jeans came into style??)

went to japanese bikes ...for years and years
then I wondered if they were fixed yet ???

bought a EVO , and surprise !!!!
Now have the same evo , and one twinky,,,,
(still have a old Honda just in case..):)

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Back in the 60s when I was about 7 or 8 years old there was a big black dude that ran a gas station up the street from me, He had a blue Harley dresser. He was a kool dude that put up with me hanging around once in a while. Anyhow he got into a wreck, "T" boned a car that pulled out in front of him and he lost one of his arms below the elbow. He rigged things up so he could still ride. He never missed a beat.
I can recall he used to pretend he was cutting my hair with his claw. don't know why this stuck with me, but that is the first time I can recall wanting a Harley

·
Registered
76 Posts
In 2007 I had a Yamaha Warrior and thought I was in love. Til I met my new brother-in-law and he had a Road King at the time and rode a few times. He then traded for a Road Glide and of course I rode it and fell in love all over again. Within a month I traded the Yamaha for a 2007 Street Glide. Both me and the wife were happy but life got in the way for a few years and it had to go. I now own an FXDC and miss the hell out of the Street Glide but I will own another one real shortly.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I never had a real person who inspired me to buy a Harley back in 1969. It was what I read in Cycle World and other Mags that convinced me that a HD XLCH was the way to go. Back then if HD made 28000 total bikes a year, that was a lot. They were'nt on every corner like they are today. Most of the young kids back then rode
sportsters, Triumphs or BSA's. We started out on 305 hondas or yamahas. The Bad Ass 883 Sportster was what inspired me.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Somewhere in the family archives we have a photo of my grandfather in 1925, sitting on his bike in front of the Harley shop, bill of sale in hand.

But I like them because they're big, fat, shiny, and loud. (Sorta like my last G/F :redrolf:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts