V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
In disguise
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Evo motor. I have recently seen melted, tan/beige plastic/nylon(?) oozing from the wire opening in the bottom of the cam cover. I took the end plate off and the small electrical device on the sensor plate appears to be slowly shedding it's plastic/nylon covering, oozing downwards and then coming out of the wire hole. The bike runs fine but this can't be good. I recently did a lot of work on the motor inicluding replacing the ignition module and coil with SE models. Have the new electrical components overwhelmed whatever that device is on the sensor plate (since it connects by wire to the ignition module)? If I buy another one, will the same thing happen to it? Maybe I need to upgrade that part of the ignition system as well? If so, upgrade to what and from who (manufacturer)?

Anybody have any similar experiences?

·
Registered
413 Posts
That beige wire insulation material you mention is probably just suffering from years of heat, oil and possibly cleaning solvent exposure. I wouldn’t consider anything electrical related as contributing to what you’ve described. It might be a bit of a challenge to replace just the beige insulation without removing the wire terminals from the connector housing or at the sensor, but if you manage to do so, go to a good electronic supply and search for a suitably sized piece of high temperature insulator tubing. Otherwise, you’re dealer could no doubt sell you the whole assembly with sensor for a bunch of cash!

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
I would replace the sensor. If it is a stock sensor plate, which it sounds like it is, I would ask around at local indy shops as many replace them with Crane Hi-4 and other after market ignitions. You might find one cheap or free.

Good luck

·
In disguise
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mlewis said:
That beige wire insulation material you mention is probably just suffering from years of heat, oil and possibly cleaning solvent exposure.
Could be. It's seven years old and the guys doing the motor work could have used some kind of cleaner on the sensor plate that acted on the electrical insulation. Who knows but it's possible.

springer- said:
I would replace the sensor. If it is a stock sensor plate, which it sounds like it is, I would ask around at local indy shops as many replace them with Crane Hi-4 and other after market ignitions. You might find one cheap or free.
Good luck
Gotta replace it with something. Do you think I should replace it with a new, original HD part like is in there now (32448-95A, $170 retail) or upgrade to say, the Crane Hi-4?

I've also read that running the timing too retarded will cause excess heat in there. True? Maybe the timing has always been off some and this is the result, but it seems I would have noticed this in the form of poor running. Comment?

Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
I'd run it until you to NEED to replace it. It won't hurt anything and it will probably last a long time. Or a month? At least leave it in there while looking for a replacement on eBay ... maybe a post in the classified section here too.

·
In disguise
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
springer- said:
I'd run it until you to NEED to replace it. It won't hurt anything and it will probably last a long time. Or a month? At least leave it in there while looking for a replacement on eBay ... maybe a post in the classified section here too.
Just bought one (stock HD 32448-95a) brand new on ebay for $35 + $5 for shipping. Beats $170. I get nervous a long way from home knowing I could be coasting to astop any minute. Been there, done that.

Thanks a lot for your input. I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I love this forum. I discovered the exact same situation, plugged the part number into Google and the first thing to come up is this thread.

Thanks! I won't freak out just yet.

R

·
Registered
859 Posts
Common issue. It is possible (or not) that you will experience intermittent ignition issues when you bike is at normal operating temperature. Usual indication of sensor failure.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Will definitely keep an eye on it. And the other one on eBay.

r

·
Registered
75 Posts
replacing the sensor plate is easy , its figuring out how to get the wires back into the cannon connector that is proving difficult for me... i replaced one on my 90 fxst but cant get an answer on the subject.. any tips?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts