441 - 455 of 455 Posts

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #441 (Edited)
We who ride know it, it's not "if" but "when"
May 27, 1989 .... 3:10 pm ... Memorial Day weekend
I earned my broken wings in 1990

But the accident wasn't how I earned them.
It was about two weeks after the accident, resting at home, when my Brother came over for a visit. We were together when it happened, he handled the particulars like calling the ambulance, calling the wife, and get'n my bike back home.
When he walked in the door, he threw the "Broken Wing" patch to me, said here, but you ain't earned it yet. I looked at him kinda' curious and said "what the hell I gotta do Brother" ?
He said "you earn it", not because you had an accident, you earn it when you get back on your bike and ride ! Now, that made sense.
So, one year off work
One operation
11 months in a cast
1 month rehab
All the while rebuilding my 51 Pan out in the garage with one arm, and his help.
One year later, to the day, 160 miles from home, me and my Pan sat alone at that Intersection East of Delano, CA.
It was then I earned my patch ......

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Crash!!!! Can't believe you are back! Been ages! SO GOOD TO SEE YOU ARE STILL OUT AND ABOUT! HAPPY NEW YEAR MAN!

Are you still riding????

I did almost 500 miles in last 10 days on my '97 FDXWG and '09 CVO FLTRSE3 - AND my new 2018 Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster! Did over 100 yesterday on the local HD Polar Bear ride.....

So good to see you post again - and love what you put up....glad that accident is 30 years in the distant past!

Best to you bro!

GN

We who ride know it, it's not "if" but "when"
May 27, 1989 .... 3:10 pm ... Memorial Day weekend
I earned my broken wings in 1990

View attachment 264013

But the accident wasn't how I earned them.
It was about two weeks after the accident, resting at home, when my Brother came over for a visit. We were together when it happened, he handled the particulars like calling the ambulance, calling the wife, and get'n my bike back home.
When he walked in the door, he threw the "Broken Wing" patch to me, said here, but you ain't earned it yet. I looked at him kinda' curious and said "what the hell I gotta do Brother" ?
He said "you earn it", not because you had an accident, you ear it when you get back on your bike and ride ! Now, that made sense.
So, one year off work
One operation
11 months in a cast
1 month rehab
All the while rebuilding my 51 Pan out in the garage with one arm, and his help.
One year later, to the day, me and my Pan sit alone at that Intersection East of Delano, CA.
It was then I earned my patch ......
View attachment 264014 View attachment 264015

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Morning GN
Locked down for the winter, wait'n on Spring.
Yep, still ridin', you know how it is.
Got a new set of tires, wait;n to mount come Spring. Will be headed to Missouri in June.
I'm on two wheels till i fall off.
LRB

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Man, that is SO GOOD to hear! Good thing about Virginia is we get a couple warm days above 60 every month of winter so many of us bikers here never put our bikes up. Dec. 30th was a bloomin' 73 degrees! Days like that the roads are full of bikes.....yesterday I left the house for the Polar Bear ride it was 37 - but got up to 52.

"I'm on two wheels till I fall off." Me too bro. A best friend was killed in front of me on 2/17/17 on his Harley and for 12 hours I said I'll never ride again. We typically rode over 10,000 miles a year together. Had a brain lapse, missed a dangerous stop sign at an intersection we've been through 1,000 times - hit by big truck pulling trailer......ripped front left wheel assembly off the truck. No visible damage to my buddy so my last memory of him is not a bad one - internally his left side was pulverized, blow to heart killed him. Really loved the guy. Good thing is he never suffered.

Next morning I felt the Lord spoke to me, "Get back on the bike." I argued. I didn't want to. I was still shaking. Felt the Lord say, "What's changed? Have I changed? And Dennis is not suffering - he is with me."

Called my 38 year old daughter, who also said she was quitting riding as the 3 of us had done many miles together. She told me she felt she too was supposed to get 'back in the saddle' on her Sportster. I told her I couldn't ride alone.

We went on a short ride together. I was still shaking and hated it. All I could think of was Dennis. We stopped for a bite to eat. Got back on the bikes - but this time we both were ok, and actually enjoyed the last part of the ride together.

Been riding ever since.

Where in Missouri are you going?

GN

Morning GN
Locked down for the winter, wait'n on Spring.
Yep, still ridin', you know how it is.
Got a new set of tires, wait;n to mount come Spring. Will be headed to Missouri in June.
I'm on two wheels till i fall off.
LRB

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
Sorry to hear of your loss Brother
We do what we gotta do, been at that point myself, but it's our Medicine ! No guarantee's, it's the risk we take.
Will be in the South East part of the state....

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
Just to take off for a couple days, go'n nowhere special, it's called seat time. To pull over, pound down a cold one at a small store next to a river. Having nowhere to go with all day to get there .....sure am missing those days right about now ....

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #449 (Edited)
I rode alone for 41 years, it was my choice. I guess it was "social distancing" before there was social distancing.
Watch'n the years pass, reflexes starting to slow, hair turning grey, I started to look back. I wanted to connect with those I knew best, Nam Vets still riding, and feel'n the need just like I was.
I thought to myself, surely I am the last, at this age, to be look'n for Brotherhood, an M/C to join. That was not the case. I am not alone !
This journey itself has not been easy, but it's been worth it. Feels like comin' full circle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yep... Commented on here back in 2013 IIRC but read thru it again just the past few days - a little here and there. Love that part of the country and rode thru it long ago. Got as far north as Eastport, Idaho and into a lot of the area you wrote about. Got the itch now to hit it again. Just a few years behind you, post VN vet. Time indeed moves on. Thanks for a tale well told and the inspiration.

441 - 455 of 455 Posts