V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 455 Posts

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got out of the Marine Corp in 69. I was angry and felt alone. Ran into my first serious relationship, a 1948 Panhead. This bike saved my life, when I was ridin, I was good ! Panheads stayed in my life for the next 33 years...

Where I came from..
018.jpg

What I went too...

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Me and that old scooter rode all over California, happiest in the mountains..
We stayed together 6 or 7 years.
By the way, thanks for the sentiment ! It's still nice to hear...

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never understood the attraction to motorcycles until:

This is for any VNV, you old tramps might find this interesting. My son is on his way back from Iraq, he's in Kuwait now. He called me last night, seems they are interviewing the guy's, checkin for PTSD I guess. They gave them some "SIGNS" they needed to be on the lookout for. These two were most interesting.
1. If they began to fight
2. If they buy a motorcycle
He said, "Dad, now it all makes sence".....I had to laugh !!!!

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I learned early on, 2 or 3 bikes roll into town, not much problem "usually". A pack rolls into town, drama follows ! People were uneasy...

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parties, sleepin' in the dirt, crazy...

Damn, to be young again !!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Have you ever ridden so far so fast, that you just couldn't ride any further ?

great thread ..back in the day..thanks for the old pics...

my buddy met us for breakfast yesterday came over on his 52 pan ..has it done up as a bobber...i love those pans..although foot clutch and hand shift take some getting used to...gave him a good laugh when i rode it aound the parking lot...he won't ride anything newer than a shov...has a 42 flattie too...

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kind of messin around here. Got alot of pictures, thought I would post till they run me off the site. Sides, brings back a load of memories (good times).......

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:34 pm Post subject:

So I have a job, because I need a place to lay my head and food to eat (that consists of Banquet TV dinners and local fast food). I work 5 days a week and on the weekends I ride the mountains surrounding LA or the canyons of Orange County. I have learned that if I stand in one place too long, there will be confrontation with someone, as long as I'm on that Pan rollin, all is well (except for the occasional cop who pulls me over and always ask's the same questions, why am I here, where am I goin and who do I ride with. Patted down, run for warrants and then I'm back on the road). Life is generally good.

I meet this gal and she starts to feed me. Now I'm eatin roast chicken and steak & mushrooms stuffed with crab meat. So much for the TV dinners (I could get use to this). I see her on the weekdays but the weekends are for the Pan (she told me later that she thought I was in another relationship because she never saw me on the weekend, she was right but it was the Panhead, not another gal). She was nice and so it continued, I started to notice more and more frilly things hangin in my closet. Suddenly she was livin with me, I was gettin bacon and eggs for breakfast instead of my twinkie and a coke.

I could get used to this !!!!

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My 48 and this K Model had been on the road for 3 days, it rained on us the entire time. Spent the first night at the base of the eastern serria mountains, in a outhouse. Its the only cover we could find. The second night was spent under the awning of a closed down gas station and this place was the location of an old stage stop just east of Weldon. It gave us some cover and we used the 50 gal. drum as a fire pit. I stretched a poncho between the two bikes and we stayed dry. The next mornin, the sun was out and the sky was blue. I remember trips like that.....

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
My 48 and this K Model had been on the road for 3 days, it rained on us the entire time. Spent the first night at the base of the eastern serria mountains, in a outhouse. Its the only cover we could find. The second night was spent under the awning of a closed down gas station and this place was the location of an old stage stop just east of Weldon. It gave us some cover and we used the 50 gal. drum as a fire pit. I stretched a poncho between the two bikes and we stayed dry. The next mornin, the sun was out and the sky was blue. I remember trips like that.....

wow things have changed..the 2008 version...names have been changed to protect the invididuals......

bob and mary pull into the Mariott with thier new duramax chev diesel with the dualies....on the back is the 40' 5th wheel toy hauler...with a brand new ultra for him and she has the softail deluxe safely tucked inside. They have been on the road for 3 hours and its time to take a break for the day...

after they book into the hotel (just so they can get a better shower in the hotel compared to trailer) ..they order some room service ...and complain about the wine list...and no Hienken beer in barfridge..

next morning they decide to go for a ride...takes an hour to get the bikes out...another hour to get on the matching leather outfits...and off they go...ride 50 miles have lunch and head back...take another hour and half to load up the bikes....back into the hotel for dinner...and next morning head home...

stick in the steppenwolf CD into the trucks sound system..

."head out on the highway" :whistle:

roll the window down an inch and feel the wind in their hair...:woohoo:

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I like to start my day "laughing"....... Thanks for that !
hey its funny but shitt you know there's a lot out there...(i know a somebody just like that)..

keep the stories coming eh? reminds me of the early 70's...i rode my brothers bonnie with 12" california springer front end..hard tail...barely any brakes ..you'd need full parking lot to turn around in...a dangerous ride...but what a time..

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know some too ! That sled was a thrill, 8" over AEE Ultra narrow springer, no front brake, frame was stretched (rode like a rockin chair). My big problem was the gas tank, the petcock was located in the middle and that gave me about a gallon of usable gas. During the gas rationing in Calif in the 70's, I left one morning before sun-up to meet some people at Lake Naceimento? near the coast in central Calif. I strapped a gallon of gas to my sissy bar and told the old lady to keep an eye out towards the Grapevine pass, if she saw a flash she would know that I was ass ended by a 18 wheeler.......

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I know some too ! That sled was a thrill, 8" over AEE Ultra narrow springer, no front brake, frame was stretched (rode like a rockin chair). My big problem was the gas tank, the petcock was located in the middle and that gave me about a gallon of usable gas. During the gas rationing in Calif in the 70's, I left one morning before sun-up to meet some people at Lake Naceimento? near the coast in central Calif. I strapped a gallon of gas to my sissy bar and told the old lady to keep an eye out towards the Grapevine pass, if she saw a flash she would know that I was ass ended by a 18 wheeler.......
:hystria:..now there's a picture....jeez you sure did some real riding back in the day...i had my first chance to ride cali about 4 years ago...loved every mile...headed east from tahoe into monterrey then south down to santa barbara and back into NV..ended up in Laughlin....

not saying that one day i will tour montana on my scoot tho..been in and around kalispel a few times but no bike...big sky country yah that works..:beer:

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been up to Tahoe once, what a zoo ! So much traffic, I'd move maybe 15 feet every 6 or 7 minutes....What a drag, turned the sled around headed back down the hill into the Carson Valley. Back along the Walker River and back to the eastern Sierra. I rode that area often, big trees and blue lakes. I have always loved the mountains !!!! Seemed like I was always lookin to get away from people....

1 - 20 of 455 Posts