V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys think of the knockout? Technically Mayweather is correct and he did knock Ortiz out, but it does seem a little bit like a cheapshot led to the KO.

I think Mayweather would have won the fight regardless, but he chose to do it in a questionable fashion.

Manny Pacquiao needs to knock Mayweather down a coupe of notches in my opinion...

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
I haven't seen the fight yet. I will wait for HBO to broadcast it next weekend. I heard that Ortiz was having a mental meltdown when he got KO'ed. I'll have to reserve judgement until I see it.

I didn't figure Ortiz had a chance in hell. I've seen him fight several times. He's good but, he's not Floyd good. Floyd wouldn't consider fighting someone who could actually compete with him.

·
Registered
789 Posts
That definitely was a cheap shot by Mayweather. I think he realized that he was actually in a fight with someone who could hurt him and he saw his way out. I might have missed it but I never heard Joe Cortez call time in after the point deduction. Normally the ref brings the fighters to the center of the ring with a few feet between them, then calls time in and says box. Victor Ortiz obviously does not have the boxing skills that Mayweather posseses but he's a heavy puncher and Mayweather's punches weren't hurting him at all. I think eventually Ortiz would have worn Floyd down and nailed him.

A true champion doesn't need to use cheap sucker punches to win a fight. It was right up there with Tyson's ear bighting. Very unsportsman like.

I wish Teddy Atlas would have been ringside last night. He ain't afraid to speak up about crap like that. Larry Merchant was funny when he said if he was 50 years younger he'd kick Mayweather's a$$. I hope Ortiz gets a rematch He got a raw deal.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I don't think we'll ever see a Mayweather / Pacquiao fight because Floyd doesn't like to lose. He cherry picks his opponents very carefully. He'll never get in the ring with Manny. Chicken sh-t.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Foul...Sucker punch

I just watched the fight again because I love boxing and it was bothering me that I didn't remember Joe Cortez calling time in. Here's what I saw. Cortez calls time out at 2:50, 10 seconds remaining. He takes the point from Ortiz, gives Victor a little tongue lashing then brings the fighters together for a sportsman like gesture from the boxers. Cortez never called for time in or said "Box". Floyd sucker punched Ortiz twice and Cortez gave Victor the full ten count. The fight was called to a halt at 2:59 of the fourth round. Here's my question. How did Mayweather get off two punches, Ortiz hit the mat, Cortez give a full 10 count, all within 9 seconds. The clock restarted after Ortiz hit the mat. Yes, it's "Protect yourself at all times" but punches thrown when the clock is stopped are not legal. Joe Cortez should have never started counting when Ortiz was hit. Mayweather should have been disqualified.

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
I just watched the fight again because I love boxing and it was bothering me that I didn't remember Joe Cortez calling time in. Here's what I saw. Cortez calls time out at 2:50, 10 seconds remaining. He takes the point from Ortiz, gives Victor a little tongue lashing then brings the fighters together for a sportsman like gesture from the boxers. Cortez never called for time in or said "Box". Floyd sucker punched Ortiz twice and Cortez gave Victor the full ten count. The fight was called to a halt at 2:59 of the fourth round. Here's my question. How did Mayweather get off two punches, Ortiz hit the mat, Cortez give a full 10 count, all within 9 seconds. The clock restarted after Ortiz hit the mat. Yes, it's "Protect yourself at all times" but punches thrown when the clock is stopped are not legal. Joe Cortez should have never started counting when Ortiz was hit. Mayweather should have been disqualified.
I agree with you. That was total BS on Mayweathers part

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,765 Posts
I agree with you. That was total BS on Mayweathers part
That's what I thought, from just hearing and reading about it. I saw the fight replay this morning, and after the head butt Ortiz launched at Mayweather, I don't blame FM at all. Ortiz brought it on himself, even if you believe FM's KO was illegal. All the talking heads I heard said the KO was legal, even though some of them thought it was poor sportsmanship.

For the record, I am not a FM fan.

joe

·
Registered
789 Posts
That's what I thought, from just hearing and reading about it. I saw the fight replay this morning, and after the head butt Ortiz launched at Mayweather, I don't blame FM at all. Ortiz brought it on himself, even if you believe FM's KO was illegal. All the talking heads I heard said the KO was legal, even though some of them thought it was poor sportsmanship.

For the record, I am not a FM fan.

joe
No one is debating the fact that Ortiz was out of line with the head butt. Yes it is an unsportsman like thing to do. Boxers do it out of frustration usually. Victor is not known as a dirty fighter like Floyd is. Immediately after he did it, Victor was ashamed of himself and appologized to Floyd. It happens in boxing.

Sounds to me that you think the clock need not be running while punches are being thrown, and verbal commaqnds by the referee are optional.

Even hitting on a break is an illegal punch. How can you see this any other way than a cheap shot and outright cheating?

Even though Ortiz was the underdog, he had his moments and could have actually won the fight had it been fair. Floyd Mayweather is an excellent boxer,nobody can take that away. This was the first fight in a long, long time that he realized that the guy across the ring from him might just beat him, so he paniced and threw a sucker punch.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,765 Posts
No one is debating the fact that Ortiz was out of line with the head butt. Yes it is an unsportsman like thing to do. Boxers do it out of frustration usually. Victor is not known as a dirty fighter like Floyd is. Immediately after he did it, Victor was ashamed of himself and appologized to Floyd. It happens in boxing.

Sounds to me that you think the clock need not be running while punches are being thrown, and verbal commaqnds by the referee are optional.

Even hitting on a break is an illegal punch. How can you see this any other way than a cheap shot and outright cheating?

Even though Ortiz was the underdog, he had his moments and could have actually won the fight had it been fair. Floyd Mayweather is an excellent boxer,nobody can take that away. This was the first fight in a long, long time that he realized that the guy across the ring from him might just beat him, so he paniced and threw a sucker punch.

Sounds to me like you didn't bother to actually read my post when you 'read' it.

joe

·
Registered
789 Posts
Sounds to me like you didn't bother to actually read my post when you 'read' it.

joe
I read it several times. It sounds to me that you believe floyd was justified in his actions because of the head butt. If that's correct, you are entitled to your opinion. I don't see it that way. The whole Mayweather family is rotten, Floyd Sr., Roger, and Floyd Jr.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,765 Posts
I read it several times. It sounds to me that you believe floyd was justified in his actions because of the head butt. If that's correct, you are entitled to your opinion. I don't see it that way. The whole Mayweather family is rotten, Floyd Sr., Roger, and Floyd Jr.
I don't know about the legality of FM's KO. I don't know the rules well enough, and that's why I didn't express any opinion on that angle. It did appear to me that the referee had restarted the clock (so to speak). All I know is what I stated- that all the commentators said it was legal, even if they thought it bush league.

I do not like FM, but after Ortiz committed the most blatant intentional head butt I've ever seen, I've got no problem with the KO.

I believe Ortiz was completely sincere in his apology and contrition, but he brought it on himself.

How 'bout this- next beer's on me.

joe

·
Registered
789 Posts
I do not like FM, but after Ortiz committed the most blatant intentional head butt I've ever seen, I've got no problem with the KO.

I believe Ortiz was completely sincere in his apology and contrition, but he brought it on himself.

How 'bout this- next beer's on me.

joe
Okay Joe, sounds like a plan......:beer:

·
Enjoying a great Ride.
807 Posts
BLACK10RKC got it right, Im surprised in Joe Cortiz to miss that. Then Mayweather gets in Larry Mechant face, Kinda of brings back memories, I'm sure allot you guys remeber Ali and Howard Cosell going at it. Ortiz got a bum deal. But he don't care because the rematch he will make double, thats Boxing. I really would like to see him knock mayweather on his a** but I wont pay for it, Ill wait for HBO.

·
Registered
789 Posts
BLACK10RKC got it right, Im surprised in Joe Cortiz to miss that. Then Mayweather gets in Larry Mechant face, Kinda of brings back memories, I'm sure allot you guys remeber Ali and Howard Cosell going at it. Ortiz got a bum deal. But he don't care because the rematch he will make double, thats Boxing. I really would like to see him knock mayweather on his a** but I wont pay for it, Ill wait for HBO.
Thank you. I was beginning to think there were no boxing fans on the forum. The difference between Ali and Mayweather is that Ali was all a put on. He and Howard Cosell we actually friends. Mayweather lost it with Larry Merchant because he know what an ass he was and couldn't take control of the interview to talk about himself. Victor Ortiz had a decent chance of knocking him out. He'll have an even better chance next time because Ortiz is getting better and stronger while Mayweather is getting older.:spank:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts