V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Been hashing over this for quite a few weeks.
I've decided that if I'm gonna dump some serious $$$ into the bike, I want the 'blink' - I want to remove the jugs and have them diamond cut. I know its gonna run ~$400 (not including shipping), and the bike with be convalescing during that time.
The question(s) I'm throwing out to you guys is:
A) Will I need to re-ring the pistons?
B) What else can I do while the engine is in that state of dis-assemble?
Now, we ain't talking BB kit'in or nothing of that nature cause I can't afford it.
I'm just curious as to what can be done (cheap:cost-wise). I may have ~$200 or $300 more to put into the bike.
...and yeah, this will be the combination birthday, Father's Day, and Christmas '07 present to me from me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
814 Posts
Tim;

Cost for Diamond cutting is $ 450.00. (that's heads and cylinders). Figure down time at least 5 weeks. That's a week on each side for shipping and a 3 week wait once they arrive at the shop. (At least that's what they claim). I've been told by reliable sources that you need to pack them carefully and make sure they are insured both ways.

My opinion, I wouldn't bother if your not going to do any other work. If your thinking about doing motor work later, and you change cylinders, then you've wasted money on those jugs.

If your taking them off, I'd probably install new rings anyway, as well as a top end gasket kit.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

To be honest, Mike, I don't think I'll be doing any engine work.
If I were to think about anything 'major' that I would want to do to the bike, it would be to install a 6-speed tranny in it. Top end or something to 'beef it up,' I just can't talk myself (or the wife) in to doing. The BLINK, even she likes that idea.
 

·
Delinquent
Joined
·
1,780 Posts
Timmy,

If you have it apart you should "freshen" up the whole top end, hone the cylinders and install new rings.

By freshen up I mean, have the valves, valve guides, valve seats and valve seals checked and replaced as needed.
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
Give yourself a little added compression...get a hold of the appropriate gasket (Cometic .030) and for added cooling/flow have them massaged by Big Boyz (the cheap route is about $300) you'll likely never have to do another upgrade and you'll be able to almost keep up with the rest of us!!! :roflback:

Those mods have 0 probability of ever causing you any problems...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,064 Posts
for the money spent, you might as well go with the bigger pistons, it cost just about the same.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
521 Posts
Tim,

didn't you buy the bike used? How many miles does it have? I would have some clean up done on the heads and valves, as well as replace the rings while it is apart, at the minimum. Before I beat the dead horse, I would want to know what pipes you have, if you have a SERT or a Power Commander, if you have a better flowing air cleaner, etc. For once I am not going to try to spend your money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

O.K. First off, I can ship everything assembled to Diamond Cut in Cali (meaning I don't have to remove the heads from the jugs).
Once I get them returned, then I would disassemble for the 'clean up'/freshen up of the top end (hone the cylinders, install new rings, and the other things mentioned by Warren).

John, I'll have to debate whether to boost the compression, depends upon the $$$. I might as well take a look at the cam chain and tensioners too since the pipes will be off to see if they need replacement. Yeah, I mentioned I wanted to go with gearing the cam, but again, limited $$$. None of this is going to take place iffin' my company 'short-changes' me on my raise/bonus this month. If finances are available, I wanna start the tear down the weekend of Nov. 17th (anyone wanna help? Do I need any 'special' tools that someone will let me borrow?)

BTW fj1200, I have the Stage One kit on the carb, and I have stock pipes except that I put SE Pro II muffler inserts on it. Yeah, I did buy it used 18 months ago and with the exception of the stator going out, I have had no problems with it. It currently has 36K miles & some change on it.
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
Timmy_D said:

O.K. First off, I can ship everything assembled to Diamond Cut in Cali (meaning I don't have to remove the heads from the jugs).
Once I get them returned, then I would disassemble for the 'clean up'/freshen up of the top end (hone the cylinders, install new rings, and the other things mentioned by Warren).

John, I'll have to debate whether to boost the compression, depends upon the $$$. I might as well take a look at the cam chain and tensioners too since the pipes will be off to see if they need replacement. Yeah, I mentioned I wanted to go with gearing the cam, but again, limited $$$. None of this is going to take place iffin' my company 'short-changes' me on my raise/bonus this month. If finances are available, I wanna start the tear down the weekend of Nov. 17th (anyone wanna help? Do I need any 'special' tools that someone will let me borrow?)

BTW fj1200, I have the Stage One kit on the carb, and I have stock pipes except that I put SE Pro II muffler inserts on it. Yeah, I did buy it used 18 months ago and with the exception of the stator going out, I have had no problems with it. It currently has 36K miles & some change on it.
I'll help Tim and we can finagle cam tools from the rest of the Delinquents if needed, (you really should change the cam bearings too if you're in there $13-$14) the heads have to be separated to remove the cylinders and it's only the cost of a head gasket to up the compression a little...you gotta replace the ones in there for your "freshening up"...in the event you have the cash to have the heads massaged they will only be gone a few more weeks and mama ain't gonna let you out that often anywho...:whistle:




(I promised to ease up on the jokes about henpecked IF you got yer OL out on a ride :D)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
swmguy said:
(I promised to ease up on the jokes about henpecked IF you got yer OL out on a ride :D)
The way I look at it, you 'henpeck' me about the OL henpeckin' me.

...only different I see is one is from an old hen, the other is from an old rooster...:D
 

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Timmy_D said:

O.K. First off, I can ship everything assembled to Diamond Cut in Cali (meaning I don't have to remove the heads from the jugs).
Once I get them returned, then I would disassemble for the 'clean up'/freshen up of the top end (hone the cylinders, install new rings, and the other things mentioned by Warren).

John, I'll have to debate whether to boost the compression, depends upon the $$$. I might as well take a look at the cam chain and tensioners too since the pipes will be off to see if they need replacement. Yeah, I mentioned I wanted to go with gearing the cam, but again, limited $$$. None of this is going to take place iffin' my company 'short-changes' me on my raise/bonus this month. If finances are available, I wanna start the tear down the weekend of Nov. 17th (anyone wanna help? Do I need any 'special' tools that someone will let me borrow?)

BTW fj1200, I have the Stage One kit on the carb, and I have stock pipes except that I put SE Pro II muffler inserts on it. Yeah, I did buy it used 18 months ago and with the exception of the stator going out, I have had no problems with it. It currently has 36K miles & some change on it.
You ought to be inundated with help. I probably have some tools that will help you out. But - what do you mean by "ship everything assembled". Unless you're planning to pull the engine as a unit, you have to pull the heads to get those cylinders free. You'll want to replace all the gaskets everyone is referring to.

Now I'll weigh in on upgrade suggestions. Don't! Don't upgrade anything. Don't diamond cut your heads. Don't do anything now. Wait until you are ready to do a full build. It still doesn't need to be a bank breaker. You can do a nice strong 95 build pretty cheap. But if you are going to pull the heads and cylinders, get things bored and ported at the same time. But, my suggestion if you are going to go that far, is do the Timken upgrade. You may be able to get away without it, and you may be tearing down a year later with metal floating through your engine.

At any rate - stay strong now! Resist the urge and keep riding, at least until you pull together your whole plan...
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
Timmy_D said:

The way I look at it, you 'henpeck' me about the OL henpeckin' me.

...only different I see is one is from an old hen, the other is from an old rooster...:D
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback:
 

·
Free agent
Joined
·
795 Posts
If I had it all aprt...I would buy the Big Bore kit for right at $400 for pistons and jugs from HD. I had my valve seals replaced under warranty and figured that was a sgood a time as any to upgrade. Saved me a lot of labor. New pistons, rings and jugs. Better torque. I'd spend the money on the big bore kit and if you don't have the cash right away to have them diamond cut..just hold on to them until you do have the cash. jmho!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

chrt396 said:
If I had it all aprt...I would buy the Big Bore kit for right at $400 for pistons and jugs from HD. I had my valve seals replaced under warranty and figured that was as good a time as any to upgrade. Saved me a lot of labor. New pistons, rings and jugs. Better torque. I'd spend the money on the big bore kit and if you don't have the cash right away to have them diamond cut..just hold on to them until you do have the cash. jmho!
Actually, I have a set of 95 jugs that Evil_MF gave me about 6-8 months ago, but they need to be powder-coated black.
GPO03FatBoy said:
...But - what do you mean by "ship everything assembled". Unless you're planning to pull the engine as a unit, you have to pull the heads to get those cylinders free. You'll want to replace all the gaskets everyone is referring to...
Actually, I read that on the diamond cut web site, mush have read it wrong.
GPO03FatBoy said:
...Don't diamond cut your heads. Don't do anything now. Wait until you are ready to do a full build. It still doesn't need to be a bank breaker. You can do a nice strong 95 build pretty cheap. But if you are going to pull the heads and cylinders, get things bored and ported at the same time...
Again, here is the crazy-arse thing, I honestly have no desire to BB the engine. Port/polish heads, hone the cylinders, Cometic .030 gasket, sure-it means I'll get the most out of the 88, but make it so that it flies down the road like a raped-ape...I just ain't feeling the urge.
Besides, I may only have about $700 - $800 to spend, and the outlook to save up money beyond that....:nope: not with a wife & 2 kids on a single income in NoVA.
 

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Timmy_D said:
.... but make it so that it flies down the road like a raped-ape...
Now that's not a nice way to talk about Dougie! I mean just cause he's out on the left coast and all...

:nope:
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
Now that's not a nice way to talk about Dougie! I mean just cause he's out on the left coast and all...

:nope:
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback:


Hey Greg...hows your build coming?
 

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback:


Hey Greg...hows your build coming?

Stil waiting on a couple of parts John. Hoping that I'll be on the road in about two weeks. I still want some fall riding!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,064 Posts
For what it is worth, getting the heads ready for a 9.5:1 c/r or a 10:1 c/r for a 88in will make it so that your intake will have a hard time sealing. A couple of pistons and boring is the only difference. You might just have to buy .005 oversize pistons anyway - the 95 in could just be cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Well, I kinda got a plan, and it depends upon what $$$ becomes available.

Of course when the OL finds out about the bonus, I'm betting there will be a 'wealth distribution' plan implemented.
:crying:
 

·
EASY DOES IT
Joined
·
8,914 Posts
Timmy_D said:

Well, I kinda got a plan, and it depends upon what $$$ becomes available.

Of course when the OL finds out about the bonus, I'm betting there will be a 'wealth distribution' plan implemented.
:crying:
Just let me know what help you need Tim...we can keep the budget pretty low...after yer wealth has been distributed :D
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Top