V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 fxdwg and have been loving it! However, I am beginning to do more 2-up riding and I'm not a small guy and neither is my gf.... we've ridden a few times but I want to make sure my suspension is ok.
What is the max weight for the FXDWG?

Suspension-wise it is stock for an '04. For 2-up riding I haven't changed anything except air-pressure. Should I look into those progressive 440's everyone is talking about? Or is there something I should change w/ the stock suspension?

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
There is adjustments that you can do on the rear shocks to firm them up more but on my old Glide we would still bottom out on hard bumps when riding two-up and packed down with gear.
Max out the air pressure according to the book and slow down for big bumps or fork out the coin for the progressives since there isn't much else that can be done.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't have my owners manual in front of me, but gross vehicle weight is noted in there... its somewhere in the 850lbs area. Between the bike, me (220) and the wife (130), I think I have about 100lbs left for whatever.

How many people knowingly run over the gross vehicle weight? related to the above question, is beefing up the suspension all that is needed to increase that max? I have Heavy Duty 440's, do you suppose my GVW is higher due to that?
It seems to me brakes would have something to do with the GVW as well as suspension stuff.

sorry - not trying to hijack this thread, I think it is related stuff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read on progressive's site that their shocks will not increase the max weight rating. But I am curious how many people go over too. I'll have to check my manual at home tonight but I probably have been over on a few occasions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep I found the GVWR in the book and I'm pretty sure we were over. So how important is this? How many people run over this number regularly?

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
What's the worst thing that could happen?

Riding two up in the center lane of a six lane interstate during rush hour with 18 wheelers on both sides and one behind you when the frame cracks when you ride over a bridge expansion joint and the bike starts to ride like a rubber snake.

Frame failures are usually not immediately catastrophic but a tire failure from exceeding the recommended weight limit for the tire can be a major factor at hiway speed.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
The GVWR is on the HD Website under the Wide Glide Specs. The tires are the limiting factor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.