V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the max HP I can expect to achieve on my 2003 TC88 engine with the stock crank bearings? I've heard about all the failures on the bearings and don't want to dump any money in my engine unless it can take the additional strain.

Tim

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I've heard tell that 100 hp would be about the limit on the 2003 on left roller for safety.

If you do extensive engine work, what some are doing is get the left side bearing changed to a back-to-back Timken tapered roller. That takes care of part of the problems.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I 've heard different numbers being batted around. I hear 100, often I hear 120 and above. I think they are all probably somewhat correct, however I believe how the engine is worked has a lot to do with it. If you want more, just pull the engine and send the left case out to be cut for the outer race snap ring at a machine shop, then press in the 2 timkens and if you don't know how, have someone show you how to setup endplay. If you do it, I can walk you through the steps. Nothing to it, go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
GP Designs makes an outer bearing support that fits inside the primary case.
Too new for any final "conclusions" on it's viability..but very interesting. if it proves itself effective....better choice than pulling a motor and spliting the cases.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
I've heard 130. I run 121 and beat the crap out of it. But then I also run chain cams and SE parts so what do I know.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
csoday said:
I've heard 130. I run 121 and beat the crap out of it. But then I also run chain cams and SE parts so what do I know.
Yeah, but you run dino oil. That keeps the bearings from skidding and makes them last longer too. JMHO.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
No, I live on the edge with SYN3
I thought you used crisco to gain the few extra ponies, and help with the tensioners:harhar:

Com on you mean you dont want to start another cam tensioner thread!!!:beatdh: Just kidding

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
I thought you used crisco to gain the few extra ponies, and help with the tensioners:harhar:

Com on you mean you dont want to start another cam tensioner thread!!!:beatdh: Just kidding

Welcome back Mr. Wrench! Now we can get something going. It was getting rather quiet around here. :)

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Thank you I have been very busy with the buisness and been reading more than posting. Plus the chance to rib Chuck a bit is always fun :wootdnc:
:flames: Just havin a bit of fun. I would have thought he would have jumped back in by now. well I have to :xhere:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts