V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the max rise of apes that I can put on my 2007 Road King without having to replace all of the wires/cables etc...? I found a 13" rise bar in the J&P book and wonder if this would work???

TIA

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Doubt if anything close to 13s would work.

Road Kings have probably the most slack regarding the switch housing wires, where you'll really run into trouble is the brake line, it is "hard" for much of it's length.

The only way to find out is to buy the bars you want, and go from there. I'd get the bars I wanted, instead of trying to go halfway and buy the bars that fit your cables. Especially if you're wanting apes, cuz you're for sure going to have to change brake and clutch, and probably extend switch housing wires.

As a tech (I was for 3.5 years until recently), one of the toughest things to do is determine what is the correct length when swapping bars. The P&A catalog is great for HD bars, but you're guessing otherwise.

Our method was... install the bars. Hold the clutch cable up and see if it would fit. If not, see how short it was and order one that was plus 'X', where X was how much you need to reach, with the necessary slack. Same with the brake line. And you just gotta solder in some extensions for the wires.

And since HD doesn't carry long clutch and brake lines in stock appearance, you gotta go with braided, or an aftermarket version that is black.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i've got buddies that changed over to 12 in. apes on their stock road kings without having to change cables or wirings. its a stretch but does work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts