V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please advise what the maximum pressure(PSI) should be loaded into the shocks of a Road King Classic.

Dealers are saying 15PSI but the manual indicates upto 35PSI rear & 25PSI front.

Could someone help me out.

Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
When I bought the air pump for my Road King (the one sold by HG particularly for the air shocks), I casually mentioned the maximum 35lbs (not sure now as to what context). The parts guy looked at me like I was nuts. He said it was very rare to add more than 5-10 lbs of air, 30+ would be ridiculous and was a maximum only, never to be used. When i actually calculated how much pressure I needed, based on two up with light luggage it was 8 or 9 pounds. If you follow the manual, I wouldn't think you could ever get past 12 lbs or so.

I would suggest getting a HD or Progressive (brand) air pump, or similar one made for air shocks. The resevoir is very small, seems like it would be very easy to over-inflate to the extent of doing damage.

greg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg, ive got a progressive pump with 15psi max, but when i do the calcs the figure comes out more like 20 psi, yes i am a big guy and with two up.

What do you think. I reckon i will take it to 15PSI & see how i go.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
EDGAR said:
I reckon i will take it to 15PSI & see how i go.
EDGAR,

I'm a big guy too and I run 15 psi in my rear shocks. Its a little firm, but really smoothes out the jolts from rough roads. My back appreciates this :)

regards,

wyo

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Just do the calculations in the manual and try it. If it's too firm you can always let some out. And take care if you do let some air out for you don't want some oil driping down on your rear brake disk.
Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.