V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question came up in another section of the forum as to MMO being VooDoo when adding a small amount to gas. I think its well documented in the Piston driven aircraft industry that MMO is an Ester and one of the few additives that actually has a positive effect on the upper cylinder. Plus I know if there was a negitive effect on air cooled engines the FAA would be all over it.....after 80 years of use.

I am using it now on a new high performance motor build. I usually put 3 oz in a tank. I use it in all my air tools, boat, farm equipment, and my other harley (Ultra). My ultra when i did the last 95 on it had a very clean looking upper cylinder area.

Ok........just want your thoughts on it for or against.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have put it in aircraft engines ......I would guess the only good it does is on engines that sit around alot. A dose of MM0 alot of times gets put into the gas of an engine that shows low compressions..... it may help getting the valve train to seat a little better......Most of the time, you end up pulling a jug and the cure in a a can is a failed effort. rat

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put it in the Harley when the temps climb above 75*.. just a couple of ozs every other fill up..I've been doing it for years..it doesen't hurt anything..I've had the cylinders pulled a couple of times for base gaskets and everything was clean as a whistle..

·
"What's this do?"
230 Posts
I have been using Marvel for about thirty years in my trucks. A quart in the crankcase and a slug of it mixed with gas in most every fill-up. I swear by it. At the very least, it has never done any harm. I get high mileage from my engines.

I plan to use it in my bike, too, when it arrives. Mixed with the gas only, however.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I too have used it for decades. When the gas went to unleaded, of course Harley was behind, so I would add a little to each tank to lubricate the valves. It's also good for those classic cars that call for leaded gas. While you're at it, rub a little on your neck to help prevent from getting that rooster thing.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Occassionally I make my own octane booster and add a couple ounces of
MMO. Theory is that it nuetralizes any possible bad effects on fuel lines
from the booster.
Heard of others using ATF.

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow.......more than just me doing it with positive results. I guess really in the end if a little MMo in the gas makes all believe there is something of a benifit to it then.....VooDoo or not keep using it. I personally believe in it and guess I will continue to use it till someone can show some "Scientific" data that says it is harmful.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
It smells good. It has a pretty color. The metal can used to be cool. (The plastic bottles aren't). However for everybody that uses it with long lasting engines or no problems from using it, there are probably 100 that don't use it and still have long lasting engines. IMO, it's one of those products that is "good because grandaddy said so". With that said.... yeah, I have a can or two in my garage.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
It smells good. It has a pretty color. The metal can used to be cool. (The plastic bottles aren't). However for everybody that uses it with long lasting engines or no problems from using it, there are probably 100 that don't use it and still have long lasting engines. IMO, it's one of those products that is "good because grandaddy said so". With that said.... yeah, I have a can or two in my garage.:laugh:
Sounds "Scientific" to me so I think I'll keep using it occassionally.:D

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
nvsteve said:
Sounds "Scientific" to me so I think I'll keep using it occassionally.:D
IMHO you are basically adding a little help with upper cylinder lubrication when adding any type of oil to your fuel and in some cases it may slow the burn down some and give the affect of using a higher octane fuel. I have experimented with this in small motors and seen HP increase and higher RPMs. The problem if any with adding oil to your fuel is if you add to much you could get into a situation that enhances carbon buildup in the combustion area.

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
MMO is an Ester and that is what they do not do. The remove or inhibit the build up of carbon. But used in excessive ratios any would do this if they are a lubricant base...even Esters.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
davemhughes said:
MMO is an Ester and that is what they do not do. The remove or inhibit the build up of carbon.
So you are saying that MMO is non carbon based? I always assumed that it was a high detergant petroleum based 5 weight mineral oil. Goes to show what happens when you assume something.

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just wish it wasn't so nut freezing cold right now to ride.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
davemhughes said:
I just wish it wasn't so nut freezing cold right now to ride.
Just got off my bike after delivering a couple cases of oil. Really was chilly at 60 degrees. Had to wear a jacket. Really know how to rub it in don't I.

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes............LOL
13F here......not fair

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
george douglas said:
IMHO you are basically adding a little help with upper cylinder lubrication when adding any type of oil to your fuel and in some cases it may slow the burn down some and give the affect of using a higher octane fuel. I have experimented with this in small motors and seen HP increase and higher RPMs. The problem if any with adding oil to your fuel is if you add to much you could get into a situation that enhances carbon buildup in the combustion area.
Hi George:
Don't know if you saw my previous post on this subject.
I add about 1oz. of MMO to 32oz. of toluene for my home brew octane
booster. Of this mixture only half goes in my 5 gallon tank. 16+ oz.
So, I only have about 1/2oz of MMO per 5 gal. at any one time.
It's only in there to supposedly nuetralize any bad effects of the toluene
on the gas lines.
The next time I order oil from you, I'll add a the Amsoil booster.

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nvsteve said:
on the gas lines.

I am interested in knowing more of your "home brew".....this sort of stuff always interests me.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
davemhughes said:
MMO is an Ester and that is what they do not do. The remove or inhibit the build up of carbon. But used in excessive ratios any would do this if they are a lubricant base...even Esters.
Dave,
I found the MSDS sheet for marvel mystery oil and my assumption was correct for that product. Maybe the MMO you are talking about is different. Here is the link:
http://images.shipstore.com/SS/Images/MAV/MAVMMOMSDS.pdf#search='marvel%20mystery%20oil'

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
nvsteve said:
Hi George:
Don't know if you saw my previous post on this subject.
on the gas lines.
The next time I order oil from you, I'll add a the Amsoil booster.
Steve,
Why do you choose to use the toluene? I looked up it's composition and it looks to me that it would actually cause the octane rating to drop instead of raise.

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the MDS you provided is correct for MMO....This kind of brings up a point in additives and lubes in general. We each run different things in our bikes, cars, and other internal combustion engine toys. I know the reason I run what I run is my belief that what I am runnng is better or has some positive benefit over other addtives.

I know your a Amsoil dealer and Amsoil in particular does business based on their customer's belief that Amsoil really is the best, while others think its like KFC and the secret recipe, and I love KFC.....lol. Amsoil and MMO have history and a loyal following that is time tested. Not trying to start an Amsoil thread in anyway that is for or against just saying as for MMO .....I believe.

If I ever decide to start using Amsoil again I will certainly consider getting it from you as you're a sponsor and seem like an alright sort of guy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts