V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought you all might like to see the response i got from the stealer today regarding se mufflers

John,

I do not have this set of pipes in stock. We can have them for you
Wednesday, but they must be ordered tomorrow. Harley-Davidson has
stopped selling non-street legal exhaust. The deadline for us to order
them is March 31st.

Give us a call tomorrow, or stop down. I place orders before Noon.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Scott Hammer
Parts and Accessories Manager
Superstition Harley-Davidson
2910 West Apache Trail
Apache Junction, AZ 85220
Phone: 480-346-0600
Email: [email protected]

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I love a Harley, but I hope these pinko commi liberal decisions backfire on them and it hurts them where it hurts the most and that is their bottom line. They need a good wake up call.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fatb0y said:
I love a Harley, but I hope these pinko commi liberal decisions backfire on them and it hurts them where it hurts the most and that is their bottom line. They need a good wake up call.

I agree 100% Fatb0y

Ride Safe!

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
I think it stands to reason that a publicly traded US corporation who has as its objective to make money for it's shareholders would not pull off the market prodcuts that it sells at a profit unless it is being required to do so by some regulatory agency or there is some other risk of liability that the company is trying to avoid. I don't know about you but I have not heard of any defects or lawsuits about defects with these pipes. Therefore I surmise that they must be getting some pressure from some regulatory agency to stop selling these "non street legal" pipes or products. Nothing else makes sense out of it for me. Anyone else see other reasons for this????

I also think we really can't hold this against the MOCO because I think they are being pressured or in effect forced to stop selling these profitable parts for this reason.

·
In disguise
2,903 Posts
I recently posted the following on a thread under V-Twin Engine Mods. It's sort of pertinent to this thread as well. The Service Manager at this dealer didn't give me any dates, but according to him, HD has already got a new, replacement exhaust sytem in several configurations (bagger, Dyna, etc.) for those who want them after doing engine mods. Not Screaming Eagle, but a bit more free flowing, although catalyst-equipped. Quieter than SE, but louder than stock. They will also no longer install aftermarket (non HD) exhausts.

I just happened to be in the local dealer today and had a talk with the Service Manager. According to him, HD is and will still offer the same basic Stage packages, up to the 103" kit, for installation on new bikes. However, the dealers are required to re-install the stock exhaust system or the approved HD aftermarket exhaust which contains a catalyst. He also mentioned that the cams used in these kits (when included) are "rather mild". He thinks that the EPA stuff won't really be enforced until about 2008, when all states will then be required to link a emissions inspection to the registration (tag) process, like many states have now. This will then include 2006 and newer motorcycles. He says he's been told that the motorcycle industry in general is lobbying the EPA to clarify some things, particularly in an attempt to exclude motorcycles designed for off-road use.

How all this turns out is yet to be seen, but for right now, anyway, you can still get our 2006 bike bored and stroked at the dealer and it's all legal. What they do at the dealer, anyway. After that, you're on your own with what you do in your driveway.

I don't think I'd feel too sorry for the MoCo or the Dealers. HD dealers will make plenty of money off of these new "approved" exhausts, rest assured.

·
we blew it man
182 Posts
I am sure it's not by choice. But you would think a company with this kind of influance (CASH, history, popularity) would make a stand at least.

Maybe a case of picking your fight?

·
In disguise
2,903 Posts
twinontwin said:
Bingo. IMO, anyway. The Service Manager i referred to also said that HD is much more concerned with warranty issues after modifications than they are about the EPA or lost income from SE pipes. Warranty issues based on modifications cost them more money than this exhaust thing. And like he indicated, the MoCo will make out handsomely selling the "approved" (that's really the same thing as "required") exhaust to a whole lot of folks who buy the various Stage upgrade kits. This means that most of them will get their new pipes at the dealer instead of from the aftermarket. Nothing for HD to complain about.

·
What did I do now?
965 Posts
I know business, and this was inevitable. There is so much competition in the aftermarket for these parts, and let's face it, it's illegal. With pressure from the EPA and others, H-D is just trying to keep the peace.
Unfortuneatly, H-D is really losing touch with their demograph in their persuit for corporate correctness.
Example 1. - Elton John - What were they thinking?
Example 2. - Overbuilding bikes - You could rely on resale, and Harley lovers liked the though of great resales.
Example 3. - Taking "Hot Rod" SE parts out of the catalog. - We are all a bunch of hot-rodders and love power.
Example 4. - Now the campaign against loud pipes. - Harley KNOWS it has a unique sound and wanted to patent it. What is with the mixed messages?

It just seems so very anti-Harley!!

·
In disguise
2,903 Posts
Biker Bry said:
Unfortuneatly, H-D is really losing touch with their demograph in their persuit for corporate correctness.
Example 1. - Elton John - What were they thinking?
Example 2. - Overbuilding bikes - You could rely on resale, and Harley lovers liked the though of great resales.
Example 3. - Taking "Hot Rod" SE parts out of the catalog. - We are all a bunch of hot-rodders and love power.
Example 4. - Now the campaign against loud pipes. - Harley KNOWS it has a unique sound and wanted to patent it. What is with the mixed messages?

It just seems so very anti-Harley!!
Sorry to say it but what it seems like (to me) is the future. And as you point out, it's just business and it's inevitable.

Harley isn't worried about selling any more bikes to this generation of buyers. They're looking ten and twenty years down the road at who they want to be buying their bikes then, and it aint us. They also need to make sure that they know the rules for selling those bikes in the future--hence, fitting in with the EPA.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
twinontwin said:
I am sure it's not by choice. But you would think a company with this kind of influance (CASH, history, popularity) would make a stand at least.

Hellooooooo,

IMHO they want this all in place. It takes all the aftermarket $$$ and put's it back in their pocket, for a while anyway.

Think about how many may companies fold because of this. All new R&D, testing, EPA approval and so on.

MOCO probably thinks this is the best thing since the EVO.

·
In disguise
2,903 Posts
vafatboy said:
MOCO probably thinks this is the best thing since the EVO.
That might be going a bit far but I do agree that HD is on top of the situation and has figured out how to make beaucoup $'s from it. They'll take that strategy, as opposed to going to war with the Feds and ultimately losing.

Like my Service Manager said, HD isn't worried about this EPA thing. They've got a plan inn place.

·
Recon
839 Posts
Just look at huge outcry that our citizens have made about pollution, forcing the closure of American refineing and manufacture. This is costing huge numbers of job losses. Here in the Texas gulf coast you wonder how these folks think we will make a living?

·
In disguise
2,903 Posts
Ralston said:
Just look at huge outcry that our citizens have made about pollution, forcing the closure of American refineing and manufacture. This is costing huge numbers of job losses. Here in the Texas gulf coast you wonder how these folks think we will make a living?
THAT, my friend, is a very valid question facing all of America. Not just about pollution, but outsourcing of manufacturing jobs that once could feed a family. I guess in the future there will only be doctors, lawyers and burger flippers. Nothing in between. Needs to be a whole new thread somewhere besides exhaust discussions.

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
twinontwin said:

The aftermarket and private shops will get hurt a lot more than HD.

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
The number one priority for any succesful publicly owned company is satisfy the stock holder. The MOCO remains financial strong today because of them. Simply, MOCO is doing what they believe is right for the long term success of their company.

Where there's money, there will be solutions.

Motor cars have had to deal with these issues for a long time and still its not hard to find perfromance parts to modify them today. I'm not concerned or going to worry, there's a generation of bikers out there is still in love with the internal combustion engine and willing to spend money.

What you really need to worry about is the aging rider population and the resulting reduction in money being spent. That's what will be the death blow to the aftermarket industry and the Motor Company.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well screw the epa if they cant take a joke, i went down and bought my seII today. couldnt wait had to install, just the sound i wanted. stage one and a/c are next......definately ran hotter.

·
Registered
219 Posts
confimed the march 31 deadline with my dealer today. I have an 06 dyna coming in about a week, went ahead and got a set of se11's before they are gone-2$en#e-

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
57_springer_57 said:
confimed the march 31 deadline with my dealer today. I have an 06 dyna coming in about a week, went ahead and got a set of se11's before they are gone-2$en#e-

go ahead and get the stage one download and high flow aircleaner before you take it home......install seII you wont be disapointed.....got my stage one today and it is a different bike...more pulling power and much more responsive at the throttle....worth the effort..

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
It will be interesting to see what this does to the demand for pre '06 twin cams. especially if they to to biannual inspections like we have in Kalifornia (for our cars).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts