V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike is a carbed 06. How can you tell if the MAP sensor is bad or needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
503 Posts
???

Bike is a carbed 06. How can you tell if the MAP sensor is bad or needs to be replaced?
Im sure Im wrong...but...I havent seen a 2006 CARBED electra glide ?...still possible...next ...a MAP is the term for mass air preshure sensor...this is a sensor in a fuel injected bike...
if you have a carbed bike ...could you be asking about the vos (vacume operated switch on the fuel valve )? its late and I dont spell well this late or any other time...
Steve

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
My carbed 99 FLHT has the MAP sensor installed in the top of the intake manifold. I had to replace mine once 3-4 years ago but it was just throwing a code in cold weather. Didn't really affect anything on the way the bike ran.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
What in the heck is a MAP sensor doing on a carbed bike? I've never heard of this. Someone tell me what they use it for.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I could be wrong, but i think it pulls the vacuum signal for the timing curves(kinda sorta like a VOES did). I know on The DTT ignition, you can watch the map signal and its effect on WOT or cruise or any throttle conditions.
OH yeah, and it means manifold absolute pressure.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Harley started using MAP sensors on carbed bikes along with a non-adjustable crankshaft position sensor to determine ignition timing when the Twin Cam engine was introduced in '99. TxChop is right on, it is used to modify the ignition curve based on manifold vacuum, but unlike a VOES, the MAP actually reads the strength of the vacuum, not just whether it is on or off.

Since they do not affect the curve dramatically, it is very hard to tell when they are going out - unless it is throwing a trouble code. It would exhibit the same symptoms as having your ignition too far retarded - slugish midrange and poor partial throttle acceleration. Feels like you are towing a trailer. They are about $40, so if it is suspect, it is probably cheaper to just replace it yourself than to pay the labor to have it diagnosed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
my 2000 had a bad map sensor, no code on the se ignition or dynatek ignition but it threw one on the S&S ist ignition. I think it was 35 bucks.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Im sure Im wrong...but...I havent seen a 2006 CARBED electra glide ?...still possible...next ...a MAP is the term for mass air preshure sensor...this is a sensor in a fuel injected bike...
if you have a carbed bike ...could you be asking about the vos (vacume operated switch on the fuel valve )? its late and I dont spell well this late or any other time...
Steve
Is it really a carbed 06, or what?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Is it really a carbed 06, or what?
Yes they made carbed 06 standard electraglides and some carbed street glides. My map sensor went out on my 04 carbed flhtc and the only reason I knew it was bad was it kept throwing a code under heavy throttle when being dynoed. You have to basically pull the tank to get to it as it sits on top of the manifold and not much room to work. Just held on by a screw and clip. It was not too expensive.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
They can also cause a leak if not seated properly as well. This is why i WON'T use a hypercharger. They give you a crazy T to use to split the vacuum from the map sensor and share it with their flappers.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the help ..... but. I know what I have, I know what it is, I know what it does. What I don't know is how to tell if it is bad or on the way out.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I don't have any 06 manuals but I'd bet that the "Electrical diagnosis manual" will list at least a check to see if voltage readings are within some type of range.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Thanks all for the help ..... but. I know what I have, I know what it is, I know what it does. What I don't know is how to tell if it is bad or on the way out.
well like I said above when mine started going bad it would throw a code under heavy throttle. MPG also went down a bit but as far as normal running nothing unusual.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
What in the heck is a MAP sensor doing on a carbed bike? I've never heard of this. Someone tell me what they use it for.
Need to learn about bikes. My 01 carbed bike has two sensors. MAP, and CPK, crank sensor. Sometime that year I think they did away with the cam position sensor which used to be under the fake points cover.

The MAP sesnor is on top of the manifold. one bolt holds it in, the wire connector clicks in. I replaced mine with the tank raised was PIA. But not impossible. Wish I had valve on fule cross over.

I had 45k on mine, the sensor was $42, just I replaced it.

You can pump it up somehow, and read volts out of it or something. $42.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Its tough somedays.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sportster MAP sensor

Can someone help me understand MAP sensor in a 2014, sportster?

The problem on mine started with sputtering and this morning, it cranked/coughed/started and then died, and then only cranked.

The service folks said MAP sensor has gone bad. Can someone point me where I could find some info about the same?

thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any service or cleaning you can do to a MAP sensor?
I know how with a MAF sensor but not a MAP sensor
Thanks
Easiest Way connect wires to a VOM set on Ohms (resistance) connect vacume line from Map sensor to a Hand held Brake Bleeder. Pump and note the change in resistance.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,951 Posts
Easiest Way connect wires to a VOM set on Ohms (resistance) connect vacume line from Map sensor to a Hand held Brake Bleeder. Pump and note the change in resistance.
Electra Geezer will be thrilled to read your answer after waiting 11 years for it. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts