V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a power vision map for following mods -
2003 Road King 98 big bore kit - cp carrillo + 6 domes 10:25:1 pistons / corrected compression - 9.70:1
ported heads / .030 head gasket
andrews 48 cams
arlen ness 65 degree big sucker intake
feuling injectors 4.3
ultima roller rocker 1.675 ratio / max cam lift = 565
billet rocker support plates
feuling cam plate and oil pump
freedom performance union 2 into 1 exhaust
baker 23t comp sprocket & fine tooth adjuster
smith bros adjustable push rods
feuling race lifters
powervision + autotune PRO
ive hit a wall autotuning and despite the bike feeling decent its far from where it should be ! i did a run last night accepted and logged the results which i can send for review. sadly this is the 1 bike that i didnt purchase tuning system from fuelmoto for so i cant get assistance from them . i would greatly appreciate any help i can get ! here in NY i spent the 1st half of riding season getting bike together i really hope i dont have to spend the remainder of season with bike running poorly !

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,998 Posts
The Dynojet guy hasn't been around here for a long time. You might want to try emailing Dynojet directly. If you have a product serial number then I think they may help you out.

If you are running and do "autotune" with wideband sensors then you probably need to be working on the timing curve. I'm assuming you have some reason to believe your expectations of performance are realistic. I also assume you are using the PV manual for tuning procedure and have your VE numbers dialed in properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Dynojet guy hasn't been around here for a long time. You might want to try emailing Dynojet directly. If you have a product serial number then I think they may help you out.

If you are running and do "autotune" with wideband sensors then you probably need to be working on the timing curve. I'm assuming you have some reason to believe your expectations of performance are realistic. I also assume you are using the PV manual for tuning procedure and have your VE numbers dialed in properly.
[/QUOT

so dynojet support was terrible or just didnt care to try the guy just added 10% to all my VE cells and sent map back to me bike ran like **** and they didnt touch timing nada ! when i said something DJ response was for me to take bike to get dyno tuned i was stunned i mean seriously im almost $1,000 invested and thats what you say to me ? is this guy F'n kidding ? zero effort then acts as if theres some issue with me asking for some real support when the issue has now become fuelmoto gives their customers 100% and apparently dynojets taking notes from harley and gives their clients bare minimum and alot of lip service and great advertising ! so due to dynojets lack of effort and the fact that i have to buy their products from a 3rd party to get reliable support i dont know if i will continue on with them in the future . to be fair to DJ im sure others have had better luck but for me i guess i either got short straw or expected to much thinking they would take logs and a map that wasnt far off analyze it and make the correct / proper tweaks have me run and log those changes and see where we ended up ?
as for VE tables they appear to be running close to one another im sure they arent perfect but they arent all over the place .
as for timing - im new to tuning nd im a guy if u hand me tools and a manual ill get it done right proper and after i do it a few times ill be able to do it in my sleep but when it comes to tuning thats an art and for me to really learn it id need to study it under someone whos mastered it in person . there is a disconnect for me just reading it and then trying to implement but if someone walked me through it and taught me id have it down to a science in a short amount of time. so ive gone as far as i can on my own without taking risk or swinging in the dark i just worry if i start playing with the timing i run the chance of doing some damage but i am at the moment trying to intake all the information i can in the chance i cant get someone to help me out and im stuck . ive searched and searched for examples of what a solid VE table should look like or AFR or ignition table. now outside of the afr table i understand its platform / situation specific but just a solid example to get an idea of the guidelines would be so helpful at this point . im hoping someone has map very close to what ive got going on and i can compare and use as a base for future autotuning if it feels workable or if someone who knows what they are doing can evaluate my map and logs and help me dial it in the rest of the way !
sorry for long reply long story short im hoping to either get a map for same/similar setup or someone to help me send it home either way im in need of assistance !

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,998 Posts
Well, tuning isn't any different than any of that other stuff. Get the PV manual and read through the section on using the "autotune" module a couple times. There is a process, just like everything else. VE isn't really a "table", it is just a matter of using some constant settings to find out how efficient your engine is running. The way to compensate for the findings is to change the CI setting in the PV. Your engine may be 98 cubic inches in displacement, but the volumetric efficiency of it may cause you to tell the PV it is 105 CI, or maybe 95 CI. Either way, you get that set first.

Did you save the stock map from your ECM on the PV before you started flashing it? What did you use as a base map to start from after you did the big bore? Do you know of any good tuners in your area?

There is nothing wrong with taking your setup to someone who knows what they are doing to tune it on a dyno. Then you have a good starting point for whatever you want to do later. There are still lots of things you can do with the PV so it isn't as if you're wasting money to buy the device and then go spend money for a GOOD tune. In fact, that is the ideal situation. If you really insist on doing it all yourself, you will need to study that manual and experiment. Even if you get a close map from somebody, it is highly unlikely that it will be spot-on.

As far as timing, old school is to keep advancing it a degree or 2 at a time until you start to get pinging, then back it off a little. With the PV, though, there are several controls on timing. You can set it to retard timing at a certain engine temp or intake air temp. It will (by default) retard timing if it senses any spark knock. You can even set it to advance timing incrementally based on MAP sensor readings.

You really gotta be careful to study up a bit before you start jacking around too much with the PV. "Autotune" is just a sales term, it isn't a real thing. I would suggest setting up the PV on your handlebars and using it's gauges and do some data logging and of course open up the logs afterward and you will start seeing how these different reading can relate to each other in real time. Data logging is a great feature and you only need to be able to open a spreadsheet (like MS Excel) to look at the saved data. Mine records like 20 different items and saves the readings every 1-2 seconds. You can learn a lot about what is going on in your engine from about 15 minutes worth of well timed data logging.

Then again, if it all seems like too much work, just go get a good dyno tune and enjoy the results of that. The bottom line is it will not tune itself, no matter what anybody tells you, and you will not get a perfect or even near perfect map for your bike from someone else's bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I completely understand every bike is different and no 2 bikes even with identical mods are going to be mapped the same . I would like to get my hands on a dyno’d map to compare against what I have currently & to see if bike responds positively . If I run it through AT couple times log and see positive results then I have the ability to compare and see what’s different and Learn from that . Anyone I’d feel comfortable dynoing my bike is jammed up for awhile and to be honest I’m not in a situation to just throw money at someone and hope for the best . Im not new to any of this and I understand everything you said long before I posted looking for a map . I see people requesting maps all the time so I figured my setup is pretty common let me see if I can get something to compare this to
And not spend the rest of my
Riding season experimenting with zero real direction . Thanks for the feed back I appreciate it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts