V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Fastest Chkn N the South!
Joined
·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many of you are running 98" stock cylinder setups and for how many miles? Any issues?

(Soon to be running GMR's stock cylinder '98 kit.) :wootdnc:
 

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Almost two years, over 20,000 miles. It has a noise now, although it does sound like it's in the valve cover, by the exhaust valve.
 

·
Fastest Chkn N the South!
Joined
·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's with the Rev Performance cylinders in your sig, right?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
20k on the Revperf too. But I think your talking about boring stock cylinders.

Sounds like its been done for awhile, but it is relatively new in this neck of the woods.
 

·
Fastest Chkn N the South!
Joined
·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, talking about taking the stockers out to 98". Steve says it's been done for awhile now (2 yrs or so I think he said) but I haven't come across ANYONE yet who actually has one. Mine will be done soon but I don't like feeling like the test rat.
 

·
ovanay elinquentday
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Colonel Sanders said:
Right, talking about taking the stockers out to 98". Steve says it's been done for awhile now (2 yrs or so I think he said) but I haven't come across ANYONE yet who actually has one. Mine will be done soon but I don't like feeling like the test rat.
Likewise - I've heard it's "being" done, but have never found a person with a bike with bored OEM Harley cylinders. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Colonel Sanders said:
Right, talking about taking the stockers out to 98". Steve says it's been done for awhile now (2 yrs or so I think he said) but I haven't come across ANYONE yet who actually has one. Mine will be done soon but I don't like feeling like the test rat.
You guys are making me paranoid. I just settled on this build for a friends bike and now I'm wondering..... but I guess I have to assume Steve wouldn't be doing these if he was having any problems or doubts.

Rick
 

·
"What's this do?"
Joined
·
229 Posts
If we want to take up a collection to pay for one, I’ll volunteer to be the guinea pig. Steve's just up the hill from me. :whistle:
 

·
Fastest Chkn N the South!
Joined
·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Steve wouldn't be doing these if he was having any problems or doubts."

I agree and I trust Steve (I better, this thing is almost ready to ship!)....but it'd still be nice to hear a couple folks say, "Yeah, I've had this badboy for umpteen thousand miles and she doesn't use a drop of oil. So far so good!"

If I'm the first member here to try it I'll be sure to keep ya'll posted.
 

·
Fastest Chkn N the South!
Joined
·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ibilintuc said:
If we want to take up a collection to pay for one, I’ll volunteer to be the guinea pig. Steve's just up the hill from me. :whistle:
LOL! How about let's save a little time and send that collection to Alabama...being as how I already have one on they way. :D
 

·
Fastest Chkn N the South!
Joined
·
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh1deuce said:
Just trade Steve your chicken recipe...... :whistle:
That there bigmouf Bush's Baked Beans bastard Duke dawg's been a sneakin' 'round ma kitchen lately tryin' to stiff out the 'ole Colonel's secret recipe. I says I'm gonna kill me a dog reeeeeyl soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,741 Posts
I'm sure it's been discussed before but one drawback is no oversize pistons and rehone jobs at 3-15/16" at this point, if anything happens to the cylinders or pistons, stick a fork in it! you're done!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,064 Posts
Colonel Sanders said:
That there bigmouf Bush's Baked Beans bastard Duke dawg's been a sneakin' 'round ma kitchen lately tryin' to stiff out the 'ole Colonel's secret recipe. I says I'm gonna kill me a dog reeeeeyl soon!
So, that is the recipe - dead dog? How's it taste?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,064 Posts
Totenkopf said:
I'm sure it's been discussed before but one drawback is no oversize pistons and rehone jobs at 3-15/16" at this point, if anything happens to the cylinders or pistons, stick a fork in it! you're done!
There are a lot of stock cylinders out there for cheap, just ready to bore and hone. Don't forget the 95 cylinders that have been retired for others.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,741 Posts
route66paul said:
There are a lot of stock cylinders out there for cheap, just ready to bore and hone. Don't forget the 95 cylinders that have been retired for others.
Not sure I like the OE cylinders for that application but that's me. The Axtell 97" kit makes a little more sense, Standard is 3.932", then one oversize allowed to 3.937"
 

·
IronButt
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
In fact we can take it 5 over if need be. With stock cylinders costing so little is it really a concern?? Look at the cost vs a new cylinder type kit. You can buy two complete kits for the cost of a new cylinder kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,064 Posts
Totenkopf said:
Not sure I like the OE cylinders for that application but that's me. The Axtell 97" kit makes a little more sense, Standard is 3.932", then one oversize allowed to 3.937"
The thread was about stock cylinders.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
637 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
In fact we can take it 5 over if need be. With stock cylinders costing so little is it really a concern?? Look at the cost vs a new cylinder type kit. You can buy two complete kits for the cost of a new cylinder kit.
Maybe I'm taking a risk? I just bored a pair of 88s to 95+.020 with wiseco 10.5& to 1 pistons. My thinking is harley offers their 95ci piston at .020 over so they must be designed to go that far. I'll roll the dice on this one because I have less then $400 into pistons, cylinders, bore & hone job, gaskets, ect... All EBAY deals{salute(
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top